Forum Discription: Your Questions about Barrett's Oesophagus
URL: http://www.barrettscampaign.org.uk/forum//forum_posts.asp?TID=514
Printed Date: 20áAugá2019 at 12:52am

Topic: Barrett's Healed
Posted By: Suzy
Subject: Barrett's Healed
Date Posted: 08áNová2010 at 8:25pm
Hi All

With several of you having had bad news lately I thought I'd try and give some encouragement here. It's not all a one way ticket. I've recently had confirmation that my Barrett's cells have healed.I've had two clear scopes now 18 months apart, so there may be hope for some of you as well. I understand this is not the norm but shows it can happen. I'm still on 60mg lansoprazole a day, the 5cm hiatus hernia is still there and the reflux and all that goes with that but at least I know about the condition now and am trying to do everything I can to keep it at bay. I feel I've had a narrow escape for the time being anyway.

All the best to everyone.

Suzy

Replies:
Posted By: RichardT
Date Posted: 08áNová2010 at 8:57pm
That is good news indeed! Congratulations.

I'm sure we would all be fascinated if you have any ideas how you did it - it is not an option suggested to many.

My first insight that it might be possible was ewhen I consulted a herbal therapist. I said I had a hiatus hernia and Barett's. The response (I quote):

> As with anything, there are lots of 'ifs' and 'buts' involved!

> Firstly, my own feeling is that most things are curable, but it all
> depends on how much you can/ are prepared to turn your life around
> and change the habits of a lifetime!

> Re hiatus hernia, that's a slightly more tricky one. Treating stomach
> acid is one thing, but once the stomach starts to come through the
> diaphragm, I'm not sure how much impact I can have. (I've never
> specifically treated a hiatus hernia before). I have come across some
> treatments for barrett's oesophagus though.

A fascinating answer! I'm interested - but not holding my breath!

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Posted By: sarcasmo
Date Posted: 09áNová2010 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by RichardT

That is good news indeed! Congratulations.

I'm sure we would all be fascinated if you have any ideas how you did it - it is not an option suggested to many.

My first insight that it might be possible was ewhen I consulted a herbal therapist. I said I had a hiatus hernia and Barett's. The response (I quote):

> As with anything, there are lots of 'ifs' and 'buts' involved!

> Firstly, my own feeling is that most things are curable, but it all
> depends on how much you can/ are prepared to turn your life around
> and change the habits of a lifetime!

> Re hiatus hernia, that's a slightly more tricky one. Treating stomach
> acid is one thing, but once the stomach starts to come through the
> diaphragm, I'm not sure how much impact I can have. (I've never
> specifically treated a hiatus hernia before). I have come across some
> treatments for barrett's oesophagus though.

A fascinating answer! I'm interested - but not holding my breath!

Richard try to find a chiropractor, they can treat the hiatus hernia with a massage technique, its obviously not a cure but i think it can help, although people will say that its a lose of time and money, i didnt try this yet but i will

http://www.babylon.com/definition/obviously/Spanish -

Posted By: chrisrob
Date Posted: 09áNová2010 at 3:08pm
I would have thought a massage technique to treat hiatus hernia would be dangerous because of the rib cage?

I've never heard of a herbal treatment for Barrett's - though I've heard many claims for herbal treatments of reflux.

Chris

Posted By: chrisrob
Date Posted: 09áNová2010 at 3:11pm
Suzy,

It's good news your Barrett's has healed. There is always that slim chance as, once removed from the environment that caused it in the first place, the cells may start to heal.

I guess, although you still have reflux, it is non-acidic because of your lansoprazole.

All the best

Chris

Date Posted: 09áNová2010 at 3:20pm
Some videos from youtube of massage for hiatal hernia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrdNfaanpIs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrdNfaanpIs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX0zKB2_-UM - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX0zKB2_-UM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td_mMidxqDM - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td_mMidxqDM

Posted By: jcombs99
Date Posted: 09áNová2010 at 4:02pm
Sarcasmo
    GREAT JOB from down under .I watched them all and I'm sure nothing like that would harm you (football, 4 years)..I went to a needle guy 20 yrs ago who did things like that and I wondered about that too .But I went with the fundo so I 'm afraid to try something like that now . My wrap is tight but my HH came back (3cm)which happens .I would go to this guy and at least let him look at you . My guys price was cheap and you can always do the fundo .I saw my needle doctor take a crippled hand and have it working in 6 months with needles . THATS why I went to him . I should go to him now for a look see.I must learn how to make links , I see lots of good things but don't know how to post them..

KEEP AN OPEN MIND

FINE JOB

JEFF

Date Posted: 09áNová2010 at 4:12pm
> Richard try to find a chiropractor, they can treat the hiatus hernia
> with a massage technique,

If the reflux was exacerbated by weight gain (or pregnancy) pushing the stomach up through the diaphragm, I can imagine massage could conceivably reposition it - if the weight has been lost. But I can imagine drinking mercury and bouncing up and down doing the same thing.

Neither seems particularly to be encouraged.

I have no idea what the medical herbalist will suggest, but herbal cures are an area that interests me. If anyone else is interested, her www site is www.cambridgeherbalist.org.uk She is a member of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists http://www.nimh.org.uk/

It strikes me that if you are into medicine and want a god living you become a doctor. To become a herbalist you probably have to be someone extra special.

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Date Posted: 09áNová2010 at 4:17pm
hi jeff, to make links you have to click the second icon in the quick reply area, next to the abc icon, then a window will open and you have to paste the url
Sorry for my bad english

Date Posted: 09áNová2010 at 4:22pm
S
I printed it out , lets see if I can do it when I need it .

Date Posted: 09áNová2010 at 4:25pm
> I've never heard of a herbal treatment for Barrett's - though I've heard
> many claims for herbal treatments of reflux.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure whether herbalist will go. I'm not even sure that Barrett's is top of my list. About 15 years ago I was using the 'puter extensively to design a circuit board. Ever since, I have been unable to do long stretches on keyboard or mouse without my hands aching badly. If that is curable that is my first priority. Conventional <strike>wisdom</strike> medicine cannot even find a problem!

Yes, I'm interested to learn what hope there is for Barrett's too. Lots of other potential cures - at 67 age starts to take its toll! Lots written up in my www site, not just Barrett's related.

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Date Posted: 09áNová2010 at 4:51pm
RT
   35 years ago I use to use a metal hammer 8 hrs a day driveing nails in to wood.. When my hand wouldn't work I would slam it agaisnt a wood wall which would straight it out .Now I use   www.jointjuice.com works just as well hand works great..

Keep an open mind

JEFF

Date Posted: 09áNová2010 at 5:12pm
> www.jointjuice.com

Glucosamine and Chondroitin - readily available as capsules. Yes, tried them for my knees. I found them less efficacious than plain cod liver oil.

Neither have any effect on my hands. That problem doesn't appear to be joint related!

But joint problems are way off-topic for this forum.

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Date Posted: 10áNová2010 at 10:36pm
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Richard, sorry, no magic cure, I think I just got lucky. I've never smoked, drank very little before being diagnosed and wasn't over weight so apart from diet and sleeping bolt upright there wasn't much to alter, although I have dramatically altered what I eat, or don't eat is more to the point. I have difficulty with liquids so only drink water as you have to drink something! Red meat, dairy, fat, and as much salt and sugar as possible are off the menu too.

When I was first diagnosed I had what they referred to as
"areas of Barrett's" as opposed to a column which appears to be the norm. It could be that they were newly formed Barrett's cells and therefore easier to reverse the process and repair themselves. I really don't know.

HOWEVER...having said all that, for years I have taken a daily dose of a particular health drink and on finding out I had Barrett's I tripled the dose and sometimes quadrupled it. I have absolutely no way of knowing whether this had any part to play in healing my Barrett's cells. I hesitate to say what I take as I have a vested interest in the product and it is important for people to know what they are taking so I would then want to give advice on what you should be buying and that is not appropriate on this site. If people are interested I would be prepared do a separate post telling you what to look for so you could make an informed choice, although I must stress there is no way of telling if this product had any part to play in healing my Barrett's. The medics will tell you it didn't and I certainly wouldn't want to raise anyone's hopes.

Chris, yes I'm still on the lansoprazole but it doesn't feel like non/low acid reflux to me. I have more chest pain now than ever! I've said it before, I think lansoprazole actually gives me heartburn. I really don't understand sometimes what is going on!!

Sarcasmo, interesting videos. Thank you. Has anyone tried the drinking water/jumping technique? Are they serious?! Did it work?

All the best to everyone

Suzy

Date Posted: 11áNová2010 at 8:40am
> Richard, sorry, no magic cure, I think I just got lucky.

The oesophagus (along with other parts of the alimentary canal) is
constantly being eroded and new cels regenerate. I guess 'cure' is
down to creating a digestve environment that encourages normal cells
and discourages Barrett's. Clearly a small area is going to be much
easier than a long segment.

Actually, I am not too concerned about 'curing' the Barrett's. Cancer
is in part genetic - I have no cancer in my family tree - and part
diet/lifestyle related. But I am interested in finding out all I can!

> I've never smoked, drank very little before being diagnosed and
> wasn't over weight so apart from diet and sleeping bolt upright
> there wasn't much to alter, although I have dramatically altered
> what I eat, or don't eat is more to the point. I have difficulty
> with liquids so only drink water as you have to drink something!
> Red meat, dairy, fat, and as much salt and sugar as possible are
> off the menu too.

Some would say a boring life, but diet is very much what my wife
and I would eat if our children weren't so fussy.

> HOWEVER...having said all that, for years I have taken a daily dose
> of a particular health drink and on finding out I had Barrett's I
> tripled the dose and sometimes quadrupled it.

Most pharmaceuticals are derived from herbal originals. I have no
doubt that the right herbals can be more useful than totally
artificial drugs such as the PPIs. What I don't have is the
knowledge.

> Chris, yes I'm still on the lansoprazole but it doesn't feel like
> non/low acid reflux to me. I have more chest pain now than ever!
> I've said it before, I think lansoprazole actually gives me
> heartburn. I really don't understand sometimes what is going on!!

Controlling acidity with diet is apparently easy.

The National Institute of Medical Herbalists site has a search
facility to find one near you.
http://www.nimh.org.uk/find_herbalist

It's a route I'm taking, to see where it leads. More information on
my body and my options cannot do me any harm. From my experience of
PPIs, I am loath to make the same claim about them.

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Date Posted: 11áNová2010 at 4:25pm
Suzy or anyone

Everyone be real careful what you THINK about different so called treatments . I had 60% hearing, 5 treatments(needles) later (5months) I was tested by my hearing Doctor . She said what did you do (20% better) . I said nothing , about 2 months later it went back to where it was. It was NICE liveing without a hearing aid..

OPEN MINDED JEFF

Posted By: RodrigoR
Date Posted: 19áNová2010 at 1:26am
Dear Suzy.....Chris, Jeff, and others, hi
I am very happy about your cure...Just like you, I had small segments of Barretts that were healed a few months ago. The columnar intestinal cells turned into stomach cells, so technically, there┤s no Barrets anymore.  My "magic cure" was: 40 mg of Nexium per day, 15 Kg lost, alcohol cut-off, what means disabling the triggers that causes acidity. My doctor says that, despite of the healing not being the goal of Barrett┤s treatment, the reversion is possible, and more usual than we can think.  
All the best for you all.

Rodrigo

Posted By: mrstella
Date Posted: 19áNová2010 at 8:06am
Isnt the case that most of the time when Barretts has been "healed" its just the normal cells growing over the top of the Barretts and as such the Barretts is still there but no longer being watched ?

Date Posted: 19áNová2010 at 1:46pm
They don't know that yet to be true or false . That's why you want the same doctor doing the scopes. Because he will MAP out where it was and will take biopies of that spot to see what happening. My doctor does it every 4 months for my LGD and HGD spots .If you look at curebarrets.com it will tell you 5.7% a YEAR change to DYSPLASIA from just barrettes . I'm glad I went for halo because it was HGD not just barretts like the doctor said.

HGD JEFF

Date Posted: 19áNová2010 at 2:35pm
mrstella said:
> Isnt the case that most of the time when Barretts has been "healed"
> its just the normal cells growing over the top of the Barretts and as
> such the Barretts is still there but no longer being watched ?

Skin cells in general (and the lining of the oesophagus is skin)
wear off at the surface and are replaced by new cells from underneath.

The mouth and oesophagus have a very high wear rate, so replacement rate is also high.

HALO treatment is, in effect, simply wearing off the surface. Anyone
fancy swallowing sandpaper? Might do the job!

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Date Posted: 19áNová2010 at 3:58pm
It's burns it off. Cryo freezes it off. Two ways to get rid of it and they both work.

HGD JEFF

Posted By: lizthebob
Date Posted: 19áNová2010 at 4:17pm
There is obviously a case for cells to cover barretts as that is why my cancer was hidden under the surface so you probably need to still be checked out from time to time.

Date Posted: 25áNová2010 at 12:41am
Hi All

I've been away for a bit hence the delay in replying but thanks to all who replied to my orignal posts on this thread.

RichardT - Excuse me!! "...some would say a boring life..." that's my life you're referring to!! Restricted diet yes but that doesn't mean my whole life is boring!!
The diet is restricted but not because I'm trying to be virtuous or boring but because all that I've cut out makes me unwell. Not sure why your children being fussy eaters prevents you from eating what you want. We are, after all, all responsible for what we eat. Take control Richard! Hope you'll take that in the spirit in which it is intended. Good luck with the herbalist. I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

Jeff - not sure what you mean by "Be careful what you think" but I am aware that as they think my Barrett's has healed doesn't mean it won't develop again but at least I know about the condition now and with ppi's and diet hopefully I can keep it at bay.

Rodrigo - Interesting to learn you too have healed Barrett's cells. Good news for you and encouraging for everyone with Barrett's.

Mrstella - I hope that's not the case. Like RichardT I believe the cells grow from inside out as it were.

Liz - Thanks for that note of caution. Although the Barrett's appears to have healed I am planning on having regular scopes even if I have to go privately. They charge just over ú1,000 a go so it's doable. Consultant hasn't said for sure yet what he intends to do. Think of you often - hope your treatment's going ok.

All the best to everyone
Suzy       

Date Posted: 25áNová2010 at 8:26am
Suzy said
> Not sure why your children being fussy eaters prevents you from
> eating what you want. We are, after all, all responsible for what we
> eat. Take control Richard!

It's a matter of how many different dishes my wife if prepared to cook.
It's almost often two: Adam (who had downs) won't eat rice, pasta,
curries or anything 'mucked about'. The middle one won't eat offal or
any red meat or potatoes. The youngest (15) won't eat chicken or turkey.

None of them are very keen on vegetables, but will eat broccoli, beans
and peas. If we gently insist.

So about the only thing they will all eat for Sunday roast is pork.

If my wife went into the sort of imaginative cooking she and I relish,
she would have to do probaably two other dishes to feed the 'kids'.

We run a business which already takes more energy than we both have.

Then there is my mother-in-law, why has dementia and my father-in-law
who is recovering from a broken femur. That's a whole other story!

Just how many problems do you think we can cope with?

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Date Posted: 25áNová2010 at 9:17am
Hi Richard

I completely understand the situation. Two of our children have life threatening allergies - we have a house full of epi-pens (adrenaline). For 20 odd years I've been preparing 2,3 and sometimes 4 different meals per sitting. We can't even all sit down to the same Sunday roast, it's always variations on a theme. It's a nightmare and time consuming not to mention exhausting at times. We have run two businesses for years, although I had to give one up recently as not well enough to continue and currently trying to retire from other work. I won't go into the problems with the wider family but just to say I totally understand the difficulties of your situation. I'm sure though Mrs. T wouldn't mind if you made yourself a salad while she's dealing with the rest of the family but I do totally sympathise with your various problems and wish you all the best.

Suzy

Posted By: headyheady
Date Posted: 28áNová2010 at 9:18pm
I would really like to know how you did this - how much weight did you loose.  I would like to loose a little more if it would help. 

Date Posted: 08áDecá2010 at 1:41am
Hi Headyheady

I didn't do anything different to anyone else on the Forum, just ppi's (60mg lansoprazole a day), watching what I eat and I only drink water. I had "areas of Barrett's" so it could be they were newly formed Barrett's cells and therefore easier to reverse the process and repair themselves. I really don't know. Or it could be, as has happened to Liz, that new cells grew over the Barrett's cells. Perhaps they haven't healed after all and are just hidden. I'm going to ask my Consultant about that when I next see him.

As for weight loss, I have lost weight, but not because I needed to or was trying to but simply because I can't eat the way I did pre reflux! I think the general advice is that if you are over weight it would be a good idea to lose as much as you can. I guess that's a case of eating less and exercising more. Good luck.

Suzy

Date Posted: 16áFebá2011 at 7:52pm
Well, it seems they've changed their minds! Barrett's not healed after all. Just had confirmation from recent endoscopy that they don't actually know if I have Barrett's or not so they're now not saying it's healed, they simply don't know. It's difficult to diagnose as I only ever had "areas of Barrett's" no column. Next scope in 2013, might have an answer then. At least they've been honest!

Cheers

Suzy

Posted By: sammie
Date Posted: 18áFebá2011 at 9:29pm

Hi Suzy,

When they confirmed previously that it was healed, do you know what prompted the change in diagnosis?  Were they re-examining your last endoscopy?

sammie

Date Posted: 20áFebá2011 at 9:21pm
Hi Sammie

When they first said that it was healed it was following a previous endoscopy that had shown "areas of Barrett's". They were not re-examining an old one. I was told again after the most recent endoscopy that there wasn't any Barrett's but on asking some very specific questions about numbers of biopsies and where they were taken on the most recent endoscopy part of the reply was "...I cannot be certain that you do not have Barrett's now...". I'm not sure if this is good news or not because they don't think they need to keep looking for it and have only agreed to do another endoscopy in 2013 because I asked for it. This probably means that if the next one's clear I'll have to start having it done privately for peace of mind.

Suzy

Date Posted: 20áFebá2011 at 9:47pm
Suzy

Head on over to the USA, I got a doctor who will make that    E    you got look like SWISS CHEESE (biopsies)...My doctor got mad at me once and said that to me .

I sleep very well

HGD JEFF

Date Posted: 21áFebá2011 at 8:22am
> I'm not sure if this is good news or not because they don't think they
> need to keep looking for it and have only agreed to do another
> endoscopy in 2013 because I asked for it. This probably means that if
> the next one's clear I'll have to start having it done privately for
> peace of mind.

As I understand it, Barrett's itself is not a problem.

I have a hiatal hernia, probably congenital. I have had reflux episodes all my life. I had a bad time about 1983, saw a doctor. Was prescribed Libraxin (basically a relaxant - which rather distracted me from awarenes of the real cause). That worked for a while. At that time, PPIs didn't exist.

As I got older, the reflux gradually started up again and got worse until I was eventually diagnosed with a long section Barrett's. Goodness only knows how long my Barret's had been growing - surely many years. 10, 20? No way of knowing.

If Barrett's is going to progress, it is a slow process.

Seems to me that there are many causes of Barrett's: hiatus hernia, pregnancy, overweight. Some of these are linked to a bad lifestyle - which also can cause cancer.

There is no attempt to correlate why you got Barrett's with the cases of progression. I believe that whatever causes many (but not all) Barrett's also causes cancers - a bad lifestyle!

You may or may not have Barrett's. I would think that is a cause to relax and not worry about it!

Yes: find ways of reducing your symptoms and improving your diet and lifestyle. That you are doing, I believe.

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Print Page | Close Window