Forum Discription: News and Events
URL: http://www.barrettscampaign.org.uk/forum//forum_posts.asp?TID=438
Printed Date: 23 Sep 2019 at 7:40pm

Topic: Barrett’s Oesophagus Campaign Demerger
Posted By: admin
Subject: Barrett’s Oesophagus Campaign Demerger
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 10:58am
An announcement regards the website and forum:

The Trustees of Barrett’s Oesophagus Campaign have unanimously agreed to demerge with effect from Friday 30th July 2010. The new Charities are : Barrett’s Oesophagus Campaign (unchanged) and Heartburn Cancer Awareness and Support.

This is also to confirm that the website and forum will remain as they are however we do have various improvements planned for both.

-------------
View the Barrett's Campaign website at http://www.barrettscampaign.uk/ - http://www.barrettscampaign.org.uk/

Replies:
Posted By: Geraint
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 10:00am
The first I heard of this was when I had an e mail from Mimi Mc Cord yesterday promoting her new set up.
Can anyone else tell me what it is all about?
I am puzzled by the whole issue.
For some years I have been trying to get the Barretts Campaign and FORT to talk to each other as it seems ridiculous to have "competing" charities working around the same condition.
For some reason neither was willing to talk to each other.
Now there is another organisation purporting to help sufferers!

Are the differences Political, Medical or an ego thing?

Posted By: chrisrob
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 10:52am
There are a number of different groups all trying to do the same thing: BOC (that's us) "...dedicated to the prevention of cancer from Barrett’s Oesophagus and the support of people living with the disease.", FORT (Fighting Oesophageal Reflux Together) "FORT's purpose is to be the premier UK support group open to all reflux patients including those with Barrett's Oesophagus", OCHRE "Ochre has been formed to promote awareness of oesophageal cancer amongst the public, professionals, politicians and patients", CORE "funds research into the entire range of gut, liver, intestinal and bowel illnesses", OPA (Oesophageal Patients Association) principally for oesophagectomy survivors to provide mutual support and now H-CAS (Heartburn Cancer Awareness and Support) "... raise public/medical and political awareness of heartburn and/or reflux and its association with Barretts and oesophageal cancer, to raise the profile of the condition, to provide support to sufferers - and those connected with them, to raise funds to further these objectives, associated projects and initiatives".

Some of these charities already have local support groups or wish to start some. Some of them want to start forums like this one.

I agree it seems a shame that some charities appear to be in competition with others but some do talk to each other. I believe co-operation between groups is the best way of supporting people with the condition and achieving our aims.

I wish the other groups well.

Chris
(I am the secretary of Barrett's Wessex, a local support group of BOC.)

Posted By: RichardT
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 10:59am
I suspect I am not the only person to be unaare of FORT...

Their www site is http://refluxhelp.org/

They appear not to have a forum.

It is organised by Leicester Royal Infirmary - at least they own the domain.

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Posted By: jcombs99
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 1:17pm
Folks
    In the last 2 months I had two groups Email me looking for money to help them save people . Yea ,right a monkey can start a website. They didn't want $5 or $10 they wanted $35 to $150 ..The one website had a HUGE sign DONATE .What I do with my money is my deal . But in the US there are websites where 88% or more gos to admin costs.This is the only website I trust with my money because they don't ask for it and it's well run.

Reguards Jeff

Posted By: RichardT
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 2:45pm
jcombs99 wrote:
> In the last 2 months I had two groups Email me looking for money to
> help them save people .

Any email request for money is more likely to be a scam than anything else.

If you want to give to a charity - you can find them, but I think no reputable charity would use email nowadays. Unless of course you were a known 'subscriber'.

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Print Page | Close Window