Forum Discription: Your Questions about Barrett's Oesophagus
URL: http://www.barrettscampaign.org.uk/forum//forum_posts.asp?TID=369
Printed Date: 22 Oct 2019 at 8:20am

Topic: Cough - Change from omeprazole to Lansoprazole
Posted By: susan333
Subject: Cough - Change from omeprazole to Lansoprazole
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 3:40pm
Hi
I recently asked my GP if there was anything he could prescribe to help my cough, which, like all my symptoms, is not too bad, suppose its more like an annoying tickle in the throat. I seem to have developed a sore throat too, although I suppose this might be unconnected. I didnt think there would be anything he could prescribe just for the cough alone, but was feeling optimistic when he said there was definitely something that would help. Went to pick up the prescription today and surprise, surprise, it was just a prescription for a different ppi. I was on omeprazole, but now he has put me on lansoprazole. Does anyone know the difference between them. Does lansoprazole target the throat area more than omeprazole. The same GP several months ago told me that all the ppi's are the same.
All the best
Sue

Replies:
Posted By: chrisrob
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 4:34pm
Hi again Sue,

I tried lansoprazole, pantoprazole and omeprazole and found no discernable difference between them. When my cough became so bad I was having a coughing fits during the day in which I nearly passed out and had to hold tightly onto something to stop myself falling, and sitting up a couple of hours in the night coughing at least once a week, my consultant upped my omeprazole to the limits: 40mg in the morning and 40mg in the evening. It did reduce the events a bit but piled on all the unwanted side effects. I'd effectively removed all the acid from my stomach (a condition known as hypochlorhydria) which isn't good.

The cough is due to the reflux not the acid. It was the anti-reflux surgery which eventually tamed the cough. - Not 100% as acid reflux has probably damaged the upper oesophageal sphincter. That may be what's causing your sore throat.

As to what to do to help? The only cough medicine I found helpful was pholcodine linctus. It is a cough suppressant. I took a good healthy swig every night - and coughed like a smoker (which I'm not) every morning.

It is a "P" drug - so has to be bought from a pharmacist (who'll ask if you've had it before, what other medication you're on etc. to ensure you're not trying to OD your system on codeine). But it's not unpleasant to taste and is cheap.

Hope it helps.

All the best

Chris

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 6:12pm
Hi Chris
Thanks for the speedy reply.

Think my GP must have changed my ppi just to keep me quiet for a bit! Why didnt he just say he was changing my ppi, rather than suggest it was a cure for my tickly cough.

Glad you are now feeling better. You must be over the moon, as your symptoms were so bad before the op.

I am really grateful that so far my symptoms are more annoying than painful, so I would not consider operation unless things get bad.

All the best
Sue

Posted By: Gordon
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 9:57pm
Hi Sue

I was also on Omeprazole and went to my Gastroentorologist when I started losing my voice and getting sore throats.
He changed my medication to Lansoprazole as well.
I thought it was just a stronger PPI but he said that the Omeprazole should stop the acid but the reflux of bile can cause the sore throats.
He never did explain why he changed the medication to Lansoprazole.     

Posted By: Suzy
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 2:59pm
Hi Sue

Hadn't seen this until after I posted something on the other forum so I won't repeat  it all but changing from omeprazole to lansoprazole has improved my breathing considerably but I do seem to cough more on lansoprazole than omeprazole and there's no difference in the sore throats or voice problems.  Have you noticed any difference since changing ppi? 

All the best Sue
Suzy

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 11:08am
Hi Suzy
Havent noticed any difference either way yet (changing from omeprazole to lansoprazole). Only changed a few days ago, so not sure whether they act immediately or take a couple of weeks to kick in. Will let you know if there is any change.
All the best
Sue

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 11:17am
Hi again Suzy
Just another little moan.
I felt my symptoms were getting worse and as I am going on holiday about the time my two yearly endoscopy is due,I went to the Doctors to see if it could be brought forward. The doctor agreed to contact the hospital to bring the appointment forward (bearing in mind my appointment would have been in June anyway). When my appointment came through I discovered I had been given an appointment with a consultant, rather than the endoscopy. When I phoned the hospital up they said I would then have to wait around two months after this to get my endoscopy. (Has the world gone mad!) However, after lengthy explanations, which I thought my GP had done, I think I may be getting an earlier appointment for endoscopy than June, though I wont hold my breath!
All the best
Sue

Posted By: RichardT
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 8:19pm
I, too had a cough. And sometimes bad bile reflux.

Bile reflux in itself can cause a cough!

However I have now cured both the cough and the bile reflux, and am still taking Omeprazole!

It is certain, from my experiments that Omeprazole is the cause of both. Excess Omeprazole is metabolised in the liver, so it's hardly a surprise that bile production is affected!

The cure for both is to minimise the dose: little and often. I have been taking 1/2 of a 10mG capsule every 8 hours: first thing in the morning, about 3 p.m and again before bed.

Full blog is at
http://www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/HHetc.html

I'll be interested to know if others find the same!

Posted By: headyheady
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 9:20am
Hi
Thank you for this, I will try taking several tablets of lanzaprosole throughout the day instead of just one tablet.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 9:03am
Several tablets" - they need to be small doses. I dropped to 3 x 5mG Omeprazole per diem to cure all symptoms.

The capsules are full of granules so dividing roughly in half is easy: you don't need to be very accurate!

The symptoms are probably generic to PPIs and not just to one particular one.

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Posted By: kiafoster
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 8:45pm
I have been on Pantoprazole  20mg for several months but this week my repeat prescription was unexpectedly changed to 15mg Lansoprazole .  I asked the Doctor why and he advised me that the PCT  (Surrey that is)  had ordered it changed as it is cheaper !!.

KF

Posted By: jcombs99
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 10:20pm
If it works don't worry about it , BUT if it doesn't BXTCH . Wait 2 weeks to see what happens it takes the body time to adjust..

HGD JEFF

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 10:23am
Thanks Jeff will do.  Whilst I am on this forum would like to (and I will keep this short) ask readers here whether they think what I describe may be GERD. nearly 3 years ago I had no problems but went into hospital to have a femoral hernia (and my friends laughed at the type)  fixed . That was fine no problem. Then about month after discharge from hospital started having symptoms of bad sleep,tinnitus,problem swallowing without it hurting and very red eyes in morning. Also notice very drowsy in morning and with perpetual clearing throat in morning,also when pressed ears in ,morning was slight squelching sound.  Occasionally during day I have had a type of off balance feeling.   This has continued pretty much unabated since. About 1 year ago they said I had a hiatus hernia and there is often a gurgling sound from top left of my chest.  About 5 months ago started taking Pantoprazole and found immediate effect of stopping the reflux during day time, took away horrible full feeling and difficulty swallowing, but still have other symptoms.  When I am upright during daytime it is manageable but as soon  as I lie down on bed I get VERY tired VERY quickly ,and it is not a nice sleepy feeling but a type of going unconcious feeling. Sleep now is no longer a joy because it is not a nice feeling.  As I say, the PPI's have taken away the reflux and a lot of the coughing and reduced the redness of my neck ,but is not perfection by any means.

What do you think ?.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 11:05am
Hi KF,

What you describe, I have experienced frequently during my life. I was told it was catarrh. When I was a young boy, the doctor told my mum I would probably "grow out of it". I wonder whether it was reflux all along.

When refluxate reaches the upper oesophageal sphincter, it can enter the throat, lungs, nasal cavity and possibly eustachian tube to the middle ear.
I am not a doctor but wonder whether reflux could cause tinnitus and balance problems in this way? It would certainly explain why as a boy, I was always having ear problems. (I used to have to attend the children's hospital regularly and have my ears syringed. Then they thought removing my tonsils and adenoids would help.)

But the cough, which increased through my life, was found to have been caused by reflux. How do I know? Well, since I had the fundoplication operation, the cough is much improved. I still get it but not as severely as before - but guess damage to my lungs and upper oesophageal sphincter hasn't completely healed?

It sounds if your PPIs are working to reduce the acid but you are still getting reflux when you lie down. I assume you have raised your bed head 6-8 inches?

All the best

Chris

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 11:06am
> I am on this forum would like to ask readers here whether they think
> what I describe may be GERD

Personally, I cannot see how all the symptoms you describe could be GERD.

What you need to find out is what can cause all these symptoms - and GERD is then a symptom.

Were you put on any medication? Research the side effects of that.

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 1:58pm
Kia
   Did you ever have a ph test and before or after the hernia fix . My buddy had an upper GI at mayo and ever since he has been getting MORE heartburn (doctor damaged LOS)..Their's a lot reasons why you get barretts and if it's a couple of things it very hard to find .My brother had a fundo then barretts showed up . It turned out he had food alegerys and took a 1/2 hr test which found them . Then shots help correct them .You have to keep lookin, I wasted 9 days once because they did the tests wrong .BUT on the other hand I took 1 ph test on ppi's and it showed I didn't need a REFUNDO . Yes this is no fun.

HGD JEFF

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 6:42pm
Thanks very much for all the replies and let me comment on each point as follows;
1.  member_profile.asp?PF=47&FID=2 - chrisrob    I note what you say I wonder whether infact it is effecting my eustachian tube  as I noticed the squelching sound each morning and also when I used ear drops once recently I heard a type of hissing sound (didnt use again).   Again I also wonder ,as you suggest, whether it might indeed be causing the tinnitus.   And no I havent yet raised the bed, soon as snow goes am going to get a few bricks and do so. Will be interesting to see if that works now I am on PPI's but did trying year ago before PPI's and didnt do much to help but will try again now.

2.  member_profile.asp?PF=484&FID=2 - RichardT .  That has crossed my mind as well that not all GERD symptoms. The only other possibility that comes to mind is that I have Sinusitis as well since I did have a lot of heavy dental work on 2 severly infected top rear molars . The chronology of possible causual events  is , 1st damp flat   2nd hospital for femoral hernia op
and whilst in hospital was taking metronidazole antibiotic that was prescribed by GP for tooth infection , (I was ok at time of discharge from hosp) 3rd after coming out of hospital 2 weeks later went to dentist and had severe drilling (root canal etc) .It was about 3/4 weeks after this 3rd event that problems started .First noticeable effect was severe red eyes in morning and reddish blotchy looking skin on chest and arms /legs which was transient and disappeared after hour or two of being up.

3. member_profile.asp?PF=129&FID=2 - jcombs99    I am doing my own PH tests for past few months and at present is about 7 to 7.5 .  Is that OK ???.    What is strange with my condition is that in past 3 years I have had maybe 5 days when I have felt PERFECT and like I was prior to those 3 years.

One other thing would like to ask is whether anyone else here is using Xylitol either as Gum or as replacement for sugar ?. 

Thanks

KF

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 6:46pm
KF
   How do you do your own PH TEST??

Thanks JEFF

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by jcombs99

KF
   How do you do your own PH TEST??

Thanks JEFF

Jeff

I bought some PH testing papers (few booklets of them) and dip into saliva.

Kia

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 6:54pm
KIA
   I'm no doctor but I don't really think that counts.When they do the 48 hr ph test it's put like 2cm above the LOS so they can see if your getting acid in the E (barretts)....

JEFF

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by jcombs99

KIA
   I'm no doctor but I don't really think that counts.When they do the 48 hr ph test it's put like 2cm above the LOS so they can see if your getting acid in the E (barretts)....

JEFF

Jeff

Lol, yes youre probably correct there, its just lot easier for me to do testing and to be honest was only expecting an indication as to whether it is was very acidic or not. Will have to ask my Dr for a proper PH test soon I think.  As for Xylitol, am taking that because it is meant to reduce acidity and also to cure ear infections, good for teeth etc.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 7:15pm
KF
   Next time run that by your doctor . I know it takes a long time to get it and that is 1 of 3 tests to see IF a fundo would work . Four in my faimly had fundos because pills didn't work(SICK FOR YEARS). Mine is the only one that didn't work but now pills work for me.

JEFF

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 8:12pm
kiafoster wrote:
> I did have a lot of heavy dental work on 2 severly infected top rear molars

What filing material? Amalgam?

My father was a dental surgeon, did my teeth and I have several mercury (amalgam) fillings, as well as gold. I did not believe they were a problem. However a medical herbalist I see has said they could be a cause of some of my symptoms, so I have been investigating.

http://www.orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1996/pdf/1996-v11n02-p087.pdf
is a paper giving deatils of the number of symptoms reported compared with the number of amalgam fillings.

I am near being convinced. The paper is a bit technical.

Aparently coriander leaf has been proven to be very good at helping the body eliminate poisonous metals.

It's a bit off topic here, suggest you contact me by email if you want more links.

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by RichardT

kiafoster wrote:
> I did have a lot of heavy dental work on 2 severly infected top rear molars

What filing material? Amalgam?

My father was a dental surgeon, did my teeth and I have several mercury (amalgam) fillings, as well as gold. I did not believe they were a problem. However a medical herbalist I see has said they could be a cause of some of my symptoms, so I have been investigating.

http://www.orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1996/pdf/1996-v11n02-p087.pdf
is a paper giving deatils of the number of symptoms reported compared with the number of amalgam fillings.

I am near being convinced. The paper is a bit technical.

Aparently coriander leaf has been proven to be very good at helping the body eliminate poisonous metals.

It's a bit off topic here, suggest you contact me by email if you want more links.

Hi Richard

Unfortunately yes one of the small fillings was amalgam (b4 I realised as normally
have white ceramic) .I had a few of them many years ago but now only have 2 small ones and rest are ceramic.  Will try coriander maybe ,before I have the amalgam removed in due course.

KF

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 8:17pm
Kia wroter
> I bought some PH testing papers (few booklets of them) and dip into
> saliva.

I made a point of noting the pH of various things, so I can taste how acid my reflux is. The result is at
http://www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/FoodpH.png

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 9:36pm
> Unfortunately yes one of the small fillings was amalgam. I had a few
> of them many years ago but now only have 2 small ones and rest are
> ceramic. Will try coriander maybe ,before I have the amalgam removed
> in due course.

The main thing is - don't panic. Removing amalgam fillings can greatly increase your exposure to mercury. It may not be sensible.

As well as fresh coriander - you can get coriander extract which by all reports I have seen works well.

Mercury absorbtion from amalgam cannot be fast, so helping your body get rd of it can make a lot of sense.

Personally I'm still weighing up the odds, and waiting the results of a hair test to find out what my mercury level is. Also, having benn bent over a hot soldering irom most of my life, I'm expecting some lead!

I'm working on a new page linking to some of the things I've found.
http://www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/metal.html

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 9:41pm
Richard

Thanks for all the info, interesting and shall look into it all before deciding what best course is.

Kia

Posted By: Geraint
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 10:33am
Fascinated to read your comments.
I have had a tickly cough for ages and a slightly sore throat.
It is not an infection because, having no spleen, any sore throat ends up becoming really bad and I have to resort to the antibiotics I keep at home.
I am on the AsPect trial and take the minimum dose of Nexium with aspirin every day.
I'm going to check with my trial nurse to see if they think there is any connection.

Posted By: Geraint
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 10:42am
Hi Richard
I found your comments interesting and looked on your blog.
When I replied my comment jumped to another part of the site for some reason.
I can't seem to find it now.
However, I am going to follow up the cough thing with the nurse on the AsPect trial as I have been taking Nexium for some years and the cough has been ever present for some time.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 11:30am
Regarding pH testing of saliva.

Stomach acid is considerably stronger than saliva. Reflux of stomach acid will only show as higher acidity in the mouth if refluxate has passed both the lower oesophageal sphincter (heartburn) and the upper oeosphageal sphincter (laryngopharyngeal reflux - lpr) and through the throat. However, if it enters the oral cavity, the immediate reaction would be to swallow.

If acid reflux does reach the mouth, it will attack the teeth. My dentist told me it softens the enamel.
In attempting to rid oneself of the taste of refluxate in the mouth, you should not brush as this can then remove the enamel - which gave me very sharp edges to my teeth that I cut my tongue on - but rinse well with water or flouride mouthwash first.

Chris

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 11:37am
Geraint wrote:
> However, I am going to follow up the cough thing with the nurse on the
> AsPect trial as I have been taking Nexium for some years and the cough
> has been ever present for some time.

I seem to be particularly sensitive to med-induced cough. I was on Lisnopril for a while. Within about 10 days, a severe cough had developed (or rather the small tickle I had got very much worse). Doctor said "That's unusual, it normally takes about 30 days." Maybe it takes that long for people to realise it's medication induced and to tell him!

I know Omeprazole induces a cough: but it also screws up my liver (mis-timed bile production).

There is probably a blood level just low enough to keep acid production at a minimum and not enough to trigger the cough. But the cough is easily lived with and keeping to that level might mean *very* frequent small doses, so I've experimented no further.

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 11:45am
Chris said:
> However, if it enters the oral cavity, the immediate reaction would
> be to swallow.

I expect Kia will realise if she is swallowing or tasting.

> If acid reflux does reach the mouth, it will attack the teeth. My
> dentist told me it softens the enamel.

Full strength stomach acid, yes. If enough gets up, but the taste test needs not much.

When a person is on PPIs, acid will be greatly reduced, mine rarely gets more acid than cider. Cider is around pH = 3 which is what I was advised was about OK to stop Barrett's progressing.

Drinking acid drinks can also attack the teeth - depends on quantity and frequency. Some are lower pH than cider:
     http://www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/FoodpH.png

So I think maybe you are inducing too fearful an attitude over acid reflux in the mouth. Personaly I find it necessary to keep PPIs low enough to avoid bile reflux but high enough to keep pH high (low acidity)

-------------
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 11:46am
Originally posted by chrisrob

Regarding pH testing of saliva.

Stomach acid is considerably stronger than saliva. Reflux of stomach acid will only show as higher acidity in the mouth if refluxate has passed both the lower oesophageal sphincter (heartburn) and the upper oeosphageal sphincter (laryngopharyngeal reflux - lpr) and through the throat. However, if it enters the oral cavity, the immediate reaction would be to swallow.

If acid reflux does reach the mouth, it will attack the teeth. My dentist told me it softens the enamel.
In attempting to rid oneself of the taste of refluxate in the mouth, you should not brush as this can then remove the enamel - which gave me very sharp edges to my teeth that I cut my tongue on - but rinse well with water or flouride mouthwash first.

Chris

Chris

Noted the info thanks.  I am trying to get a handle on what exactly I am suffering from,, and at moment it is toss up between Gerd and Sinusitis (or maybe both since I definately had trouble swallowing food, had reflux pain when swallowing and had a horrible full feeling even with small meals until I started taking PPI's)  .
Let me say what I feel every morning now and please tell me your thoughts.  I feel more dozy when I wake up like I have been unconcious rather than sleeping and feel slightly nauseous. I also notice during the night significant greasiness on either side of my nose and area of face either side of nose, plus on forehead. This is not, I dont believe, sweating as such but more something coming through perhaps from sinuses.  Then if I sit or stand upright rather than lying down I slowly start feeling better and eventually on  most days I feel normal after 1/2 hour or so, but sometimes takes several hours.  I also have to clear my throat for maybe 1/2 to 1 hour or so.  I have noticed that if I wip my finger on the greasiness of my face ,that I mention above,
and then smell it ,it smells awful as if infected.  Also have noticed that if I brush on top of my mouth  (and I cannot work out precisely where) even fairly lightly I can then spit into sink maybe 20 times or so and each time is blood.  I do have to clear my sinuses/nose all day long and since I had serious infection and drilling previously ponder whether I have infected sinsuses that causes these problems only when I lie down .It is not only when I sleep but simply when I lie down.

Thanks

Kia

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 11:41pm
I used to suffer from sinusitis many years ago and remember how painful it was and using a combination of a vic nasal inhaler stick and paracetamol.
After a number of sinus flushes, however, it cleared up.
I used to get so many symptoms supposedly because of my "catarrh" or rhinitis but that was before I was aware of my reflux problems.
I'm sure they were connected - but I had "catarrhal" problems since my young childhood.
I also had the greasy skin you mention - although I'd never thought it significant before now. Couldn't tell you about the smell though as until recently (when I had my cholecystectomy) my I was practically anosmic.
Why removing my gall bladder improved my sense of smell, I don't know.
But I do believe all these things are somehow connected.
Would be interested to find how many others have similar symptoms.
I do know asthmatics are more prone to GORD and Barrett's.

Hope your GP and consultants can help.

All the best

Chris

Print Page | Close Window