Forum Name: Support Forum
Forum Discription: News and Events
URL: http://www.barrettscampaign.org.uk/forum//forum_posts.asp?TID=2038
Printed Date: 18†Jul†2019 at 12:25am

Topic: camera down throat
Posted By: peter rigby
Subject: camera down throat
Date Posted: 14†May†2019 at 8:16pm
i have a major problem with having a camera inserted into my throat , i just can not breath properly , i panic and choke , sedation is no help , any advice please, am i the only one

Replies:
Posted By: WorriedWife1983
Date Posted: 15†May†2019 at 10:48pm
Hi, my husband is the same. The sedation didnít work, he was fully awake and the procedure was cut short. He is now waiting to get an appointment for GA. the failed procedure was in February, it could be as late as end of September for the GA appointment. Are you in the UK? If so, you could discuss this option with the surgeon.

Posted By: chrisrob
Date Posted: 16†May†2019 at 6:00pm
Sedation doesn't work for me either and I have to manage with just the throat spray. Fortunately I have had so many scopes now, I have learned to deal with it. It's never pleasant but I determine to remain calm.
Problem with general anasthaesia is it requires the presence of an anaesthetist which is why the long wait for an appointment.

-------------
http://www.barrettswessex.org.uk - www.barrettswessex.org.uk

Posted By: roganhen
Date Posted: 20†May†2019 at 9:57am
I am confused about this issue too.
I find the procedure very unpleasant and lengthy. (22 biopsies the last time!) An acquaintance who also has an endoscopy has sedation and does not remember the procedure taking place. I asked for sedation once but apart from making my eyes light sensitive for a while it did nothing. In fact it was worse because they omitted the throat spray. Next time I just went for it without. I have since discovered that there are two levels of sedation and my friend had 'deep sedation' where the amount of valium (?) used is higher and you are not really aware of anything. I think this deep sedation requires the presence of an anaesthetist so is not always offered.
I am due my next scope in three months and don't know what to ask for but light sedation is not a lot of help so will probably just put up with it.

Print Page | Close Window