Forum Name: Barrett's Oesophagus
Forum Discription: Your Questions about Barrett's Oesophagus
URL: http://www.barrettscampaign.org.uk/forum//forum_posts.asp?TID=1997
Printed Date: 23áSepá2019 at 9:47pm

Topic: exercise
Posted By: MarieDay
Subject: exercise
Date Posted: 13áNová2018 at 12:41am
I have a hiatal hernia along with BE. I want to exercise, but keep reading that there many that aggravate GERD and hiatal hernia. I know crunches are out and weightlifting. Anything else? Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: steveb8189
Date Posted: 13áNová2018 at 9:56am
Hi Marie
Just see what works for you and avoid anything the aggravates your symptoms. For me most things are find that don't involve bending over or lying down. Walking, running, cycling etc are all fine so long as I don't drink too much liquid immediately before or during. I sometimes do the local park run at 9am on a Saturday so just need to make sure I eat breakfast no later than 7:30.

When cycling it is sometimes a bit more difficult as longer rides require me to drink fluids. I tend to take along some gaviscon tablets as a backup just in case.

Posted By: pylorius
Date Posted: 13áNová2018 at 5:21pm
Hi Marie

I have the same as you and I cycle about 3 times a week, usually about 20-30 miles each time and don't have any problems. As Steve has said just try things out and see what works for you.

Posted By: nasdaq
Date Posted: 14áNová2018 at 1:32pm
My docs tells me that I can do all sports - running, cycling, swimming and also muscle exercise - but i should not lift too heavy weights that i have a forced respiration.

Posted By: MarieDay
Date Posted: 14áNová2018 at 11:15pm
Thank you. I walk daily (wasn't too worried about that), but was wondering if more strength building exercises might force my hernia up and enlarge it. Thanks for the input.

Print Page | Close Window