Forum Discription: Your Questions about Barrett's Oesophagus
URL: http://www.barrettscampaign.org.uk/forum//forum_posts.asp?TID=1295
Printed Date: 15 Oct 2019 at 1:44pm

Topic: pH test running - LOL!!!!!
Posted By: Sandra W
Subject: pH test running - LOL!!!!!
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 3:28pm
Hi to all,

LOL!!! It could only happen to me!!! HA!!!! Got to Eltham station at 10am this morning to catch train to London Bridge for my manometry & pH tests at 11.30.  All trains for that line cancelled because of complete signal failure at New Cross.  Advised to get the Victoria train and change at Lewisham.  Got to Lewisham, the was told to take DLR, which I have never used before, so I don't know my way around.  Luckily a couple got on with me at Eltham and knew the stops, so finally got to Guy's at 11.35am!!!  Worried about being late, but it wasn't a problem as they were running 1 hour late.

Got into the test room feeling absolutely dreadful - bowel really hurt.  Technician sprayed loads of anaesthetic, which made me feel sick, then tried to get the tube up right nostril but couldn't - it seemed to be blocked.  Had another go on the left side and finally succeeded getting the tube in place.  I then had to swallow water when told; this went on for about 20 minutes; next, I was asked to eat a sandwich while the pressure readings were recorded, and I nearly ended up being sick.  Finally, after what seemed like eternity, she took the large manometry probe out and inserted the pH probe, which is much finer and is now recording.

By the time I was finished at the lab I felt really ill and sick, so they booked me into the Patient Hotel at St Thomas's for the night and sent me over on the staff shuttle bus.  So, instead of going home I'm stuck here for the night and will go back to Guy's site tomorrow to get the probe taken out.  I've just stopped ogff at the library to use the computer and check my messages, then I have to go and book into to my room.  Let's hope nothing else happens and that I can get home easily tomorrow!!!

Technician said the pressures were not very good - rather erratic and she thinks that's probably caused by acid reflux.  Won't know any more until the recording has been analysed.  Will keep you posted.  Meanwhile, after all this rigmarole today, I should be given a fundo just for determinatuion.  LOL!!!

All the best,

Sandra.

-------------
E-mail: swilliams888@hotmail.co.uk

Replies:
Posted By: chrisrob
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 6:00pm
Wow! A patient hotel?
Hope room service is good.

-------------
http://www.barrettswessex.org.uk - www.barrettswessex.org.uk

Posted By: jcombs99
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 6:08pm
Never had food on a Man test just water and I drove home an hour each way to return it but good they spend some funds on you.They should switch to the 48hr bravo test and you UPS the receiver back to hospital .Have a little Hot sauce and you'll get that Fundo you want..

Posted By: teacher man
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 6:11pm
How many Barrett's patients have had the fundo? How many have had the LInx. Any data on the numbers.
Also, I was reading this sites home page and it said only 10 percent of Barrett's patients have been identified. 90 percent of people have it and don't know. What is the percent in America?

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 6:17pm
I'm sure the same .My doctor told me doctors really haven't changed here " Take these pills and go away please ".. Medicare(over 65 gov. ins.) and private Ins. here will pay for a Halo (ablation) on just barretts so that's what you can do if you want it as in ME ...

Posted By: chrisrob
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 6:29pm
Hi TeacherMan.

Obviously the stats are only reasonable guesses since we Cannot know the actual numbers without screening the entire population.

About 10 years ago extensive cadaver studies were carried out in USA to determine what other conditions ere present at death (not necessarily related to cause of death).
They found that 1 in 70 had Barrett's.
With nearly 314 million in USA, it would mean there should be nearly 4.5 million with the condition.

I cannot find figures of how many have actually been diagnosed. If the percentage is that assumed by UK, we could expect it's less than half a million people in America who actually know they have it.

In UK there's probably about 80,000 who know they have it and, with a population of nearly 70 million, probably nearly one million who actually do have it.

What's worrying (in UK) is that although we have less than a quarter of the number of cases, we actually have half the number of deaths to adenocarcinoma. In UK it's around the 8000 per year and in US it's around 17,000.
So are Brits twice as likely to die from this?

As someone said to me about the stats. Knowing that only one in 200 will die is comforting - unless you are that one!

Chris

-------------
http://www.barrettswessex.org.uk - www.barrettswessex.org.uk

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 6:41pm
Diet.DNA ,Hot Tea who knows but if you scope every year on the ones who have barretts that will help .The ones with Heartburn go to your doctor don't play doctor .

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 1:23pm
Hi to all, and thanks for replies. 

Well, events did not go smoothly after I posted yesterday!!!  Had dinner at 6pm, just a bit of mash and sauce, then I was sick and the probe came out!!!  It was hanging out of my mouth.  The carers didn't know what to do, so they called the emergency nurses to deal with it.  The probe was taken out and I took it back to Guy's this morning.  The technician has reinserted it so I am stuck here for another night.  Don't feel so sick this time so with a bit of luck it will be OK until it comes out tomorrow. 

There certainly does seem to be a reflux problem.  But then, they've done two squamous dysplasia tratements in the last two years, so if they don't know by now they never will.  Fundo is best, so just have to hope I get referred.

All the best,

Sandra.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 1:32pm
Lets hope they put the probe in the right spot they put mine in my stomach . The deal with a PH test is to do your normal eating not what they give you to eat .
Good Luck a bottle of Hot sauce will get you a Fundo .

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 11:34am
Hi to all,

Well, finally got home this morning.  Had very bad chest pain, heartburn and regurgitation last night, but al least the tube stayed in OK this time, so had it taken out this morning.  Now I'm back home and just have to wait until I hear what's going to happen. 

Technician said there was some reflux, but she couldn't tell me what the outcome will be - she will send the report to the consultant, and it will be up to him.  Doubt if I'll get a fundo - no profit in that for them, but we'll have to wait and see.

All the best,

Sandra.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window