Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: DIET ADVISE FOR BARRETT'S OESOPHAGUS Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Mary-Annx
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Mary-Annx Replybullet Topic: DIET ADVISE FOR BARRETT'S OESOPHAGUS
    Posted: 11 May 2012 at 8:04pm
Hi!
I was given my diagnosis of Barrett's Oesophagus yesterday so am still a little stunned by it all.

I have not been given any info yet so need some advice about what foods/drinks I can eat/drink and what is best avoided to reduce more damage to the lining of my Oesophagus?

Thank you.
Mary-Annx 
IP IP Logged
LazyLout

Quote LazyLout Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2012 at 6:16pm
Hi Mary-Annx,

Sorry to read about your diagnosis and hope that you get some reassurance from your fellow sufferers on this site.

Diet advice is very dependent on the individual. What may work for me may not work for you. So I'm afraid it is a question of trial and error. This link may prove to be a good starting point for you while we await others to chip in with their advice.

http://heartburn.about.com/cs/dietfood/a/heartburnfoods3.htm

Good luck.

Lazy.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2012 at 9:07pm
Hi Mary Ann and welcome,

Lazy has provided a good link and good advice.

We are all different and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. It may be to do with sub conscious conditioning as we grow up?
For instance, when anticipating acidic or spicy foods, it can be we may produce less acid than normal as the stomach recognises it doesn't need as much.

It's not necessarily the acidity of the food we eat either but more the "acid ash" acidity level after food that is important.

It is recommended you keep a food diary and discover which are your particular trigger foods. For me it was always pastry but I can manage the hottest curries and red wine.

However, common trigger foods may be coffee, chocolate, spicy foods, alcohol, tomatoes, citrus fruits, onion.

You may also encounter some "old wive's tales". For instance it is suggested that drinking milk will calm an acid stomach. However milk is a food that can produce an excess of acid.

All the best

Chris

Edited by chrisrob - 12 May 2012 at 9:08pm
IP IP Logged
bobgil
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bobgil Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2012 at 11:20am
What seems to work for me is the Mediterranean diet, plenty of olives, olive oil, greens, black grapes, poultry, fish etc (plus the odd glass of red wine).
I have cut out all fried foods, curries and anything spicy.
IP IP Logged
Mary-Annx
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Mary-Annx Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2012 at 7:35pm
Thank you Lazy, Chris and bobgil for replying to my Post.

I am a little confused now as to why we are changing our diet.  Is it to reduce the heartburn - as the Omeprazole stops my heartburn brilliantly - or is it to stop further damage to the Oesopegus?  I do burp after everything I eat or drink (even water) and they are not little burps either embarrasingly - is this normal?  I also have constant uncomfortableness in the left side of my abdomen and round the back (which was what they were investigating when they found the Barrett's) - could this be due to acid too?

Sorry to ask so many questions but it is so good to talk to others with Barrett's because, until the other day, I had never even heard of it.

Thank you.
Mary-Annx 
IP IP Logged
bobby
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote bobby Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2012 at 11:41pm
Mary

I have not changed anything in my diet, other than I can't take either orange juice or oranges. What I have done though is change the amount I eat in a portion, a little curry is better than no curry, if you see what I mean.

For me the best thing was to try different styles of cooking, I now do a lot of dry frying using the natural fat in the food to cook it or use a little water to start the process off. I also have added more veg to my diet, especially green veg, the digestive system does get used to it!

I measure all my food (and my wife's!) I take no more than 5oz of meat in any dish, if I am cooking pasta I measure out 60g per portion. Whilst that system may look a bit regimented or draconian for me it's the best thing I have done, I have gone from 17 stones to just over 13 stones and have dropped from a 42" waist to a 34" waist. My good lady has also seen the benefit as she has dropped two dress sizes without even trying!!

Don't be afraid to experiment it won't be long before you find the food that doesn't agree with you and it won't be long before you find the food that does.

IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2012 at 12:35am
Mary
   What you want to do is get to your proper weight which will reduce your HH like it did mine . As far as your diet make it so you don't get heartburn(I've tossed out dinners)... PPi's are a great thing BUT if you reduce your heartburn causes you can take them longer and at a reduced dose .PPI's can't be taken FOREVER .

HGD JEFF
IP IP Logged
bobgil
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bobgil Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2012 at 7:06am
Sounds like you have got a number of things going on. Burping is usually a sign of a sliding hiatal hernia. The pain in the left side could be problems with the gall bladder. These are all common symptoms, associated with acid reflux. The main thing you can do is take a high dose of your PPI's and possibly ask for a CT  scan to check for any secondary inflammation, in things like the gall bladder. Sliding hiatal hernia, usually does not cause significant problems, apart from the symptoms you describe. I have changed to a Mediterranean diet, because I want to give the tablets the best possible chance of working and not to do anything that creates heartburn.
IP IP Logged
Irisheyes
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Irisheyes Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 7:43pm
I find trying to find your trigger difficult as I have never knowingly had acid reflux, rarely burp and don't, as far as I know, have an HH. I'm still extremely surprised at my diagnosis I have cut out all the typical stuff ie chocolate etc, and am trying to have smaller meals during the day and eat before 5.00pm.
IP IP Logged
Irisheyes
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Irisheyes Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 1:20pm
Like you I was recently diagnosed with this disease and was totally surprised as I have never had acid reflux or heartburn. The fact that I have never suffered digestive problems, like others on this website, makes it very difficult to know which foods to cut out of my diet. Since knowing about my diagnosis and reading up on the common triggers I have cut out all of them and have fortunately lost 5 lbs so far. Knowing that losing weight is helpful and a plus, but now I have to find out my triggers when I dont in fact have AR or HB. Does anyone else have this dilemma? Irisheyes
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version