Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Barretts Sufferers with Osteoporosis? Post Reply Post New Topic
Petal
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Petal Replybullet Topic: Barretts Sufferers with Osteoporosis?
    Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:20am
I have been treated with PPIs for Barretts for 3 years. I am 60 years old and have suffered from osteopenia for 10 years, which has been treated unsuccessfully with calcium carbonate and vitamin D supplements. I have just found out that I am almost osteoporotic in both hips (T-score -2.2) and have been told b ymy GP that I must take drugs to stop the progression. I've done lots of online research so know about the various drugs and know about PPIs preventing minerals from being absorbed so would really like to know what other people in the same position are being prescribed and if the effects have been positive. I have done a 4 week trial of alendronate (Fosamax) but have had palpitations and chest and middle back pain during that time (heartburn?) and a recent study seemed to indicate that the PPIs might stop the drug from being absorbed anyway! I'm terrified of making my Barrett's worse but also of breaking a hip. Can anyone help, before I go back to see my GP in a few days? 

Edited by Petal - 07 May 2012 at 10:32am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version