Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :General
Message Icon Topic: Remembering Mr Barrett Post Reply Post New Topic
Sandra W

Online Status: Offline
Quote Sandra W Replybullet Topic: Remembering Mr Barrett
    Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:26am
Greetings, All

Re: Mr N R Barrett, 16 May 1903 - 8 January 1979

When my doctors first told me they suspected Barrett’s Oesophagus, I had never heard of the condition and naturally wanted to know more about it.  After learning the basics from the internet it wasn’t too long before I found myself  “googling” again, this time because I was intrigued to know more about the person behind the discovery of this condition and after whom it is named.

My search for information produced an amazing insight into the life, work and personality of Mr Norman Barrett which left me in no doubt as to his truly extraordinary talent.  Exceptionally gifted in many ways, Mr Barrett excelled as a surgeon and chose thoracic surgery as the main focus of his life’s work through which he discovered the oesophageal abnormality we know today as “Barrett’s Oesophagus”. 

The link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman Barrett gives general information about Mr Barrett’s life and work, and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2492213/pdf/annrcse01496-0081.pdf  connects to a PDF version of a fascinating 1979 Memorial Service speech outlining his general interests and personality as well as his life and career.

Although having the condition he discovered named after him is in itself an excellent memorial to Mr Barrett, in the course of everyday life I find it all too easy to chat about my “Barrett’s” and take for granted the range of treatments that modern medicine has to offer without giving a even moment’s thought to how it all began: through his own astonishing and outstanding ability and remarkable discovery all those years ago, Mr Barrett laid the foundations for doctors to continue research and build knowledge of Barrett’s Oesophagus to the point where they can offer today’s patients like us all the benefits of effective monitoring, control and treatment of our condition to make our lives more comfortable and reduce our risks of developing potentially fatal oesophageal cancer.

Although Mr Barrett is sadly no longer with us, the forthcoming date Wednesday 16 May this year would have been his 109th birthday!  While I don’t know how other patients feel, I personally feel very strongly that I owe it to Mr Barrett to make time amid the rush of my activities to remember him and reflect on his work with respect and gratitude on what would have been his very special day.    

Best wishes to all,

Sandra.

E-mail: swilliams888@hotmail.co.uk
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 1:31pm
Perhaps we could label 16th May as "Barrett's Day" and attempt to get news media interested and, perhaps, use it for fund raising?
IP IP Logged
Sandra W

Quote Sandra W Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:53pm

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your reply, and I think your suggestion is a lovely and brilliant idea.  I hope you will be able to arrange this.

Best wishes,

Sandra. 

E-mail: swilliams888@hotmail.co.uk
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version