General
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :General
Message Icon Topic: HALO date blunder!!! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
lizthebob

Online Status: Offline
Quote lizthebob Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 8:13pm
Please don't just leave it. I know you are having hassles with these people but I would have done anything to avoid 6 weeks on a ventilator and 6 months in hopsital. And that was having been lucky to catch the cancer fairly quickly. My HGD only appeared two months before the cancer did.
It is worth fighting.
IP IP Logged
Sandra W

Quote Sandra W Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 12:12pm
Hi Liz, Chris and Jeff,

Thanks for your replies and support.  I  am very sorry to hear about your situation, Liz, and I hope you will feel better and make a full recovery soon.

Well, I feel a bit calmer today - woke up and decided to tell that meddling consultant exactly what he can do with his stupid plan to stop my HALO treatment!!!  I have just sent him a real no-nonsense e-mail making my views very clear.  I have taken special care to emphasise the fact that I want my HALO treatment and that I think his plan to just take a look at the cells from time to time and hope they don't turn into something nasty is ridiculous and definitely not acceptable.  I hope by now he's having a bad day!!!.  Now waiting for a reply.

Yes, Laurence Lovat has an excellent reputation - curiously, the registrar who sorted out my tests and wants to do my HALO treatment at Guy's/St Thomas studied for a PhD in HALO & oesophageal problems while working with Dr Lovat as a Research Fellow.  Loathe as I am to ask my GP for any more referrals, I can do so if it becomes necessary.

Thanks for your help, and I will keep you posted.

All the best,

Sandra

P.S. Consultant has just sent a message back saying that I have an appointment to see him in clinic - seems he can't read, either - I told him in my e-mail that I had cancelled the appointment!!!! (Lucky he doesn't DO the HALO!!!).

Edited by Sandra W - 03 Feb 2012 at 12:37pm
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 4:12pm
It's " NECESSARY " That's what WE have been trying to tell you...

I would give everything I have to keep my " O "..

Cheap HGD Jeff
IP IP Logged
Sandra W

Quote Sandra W Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 11:57am
Hi Jeff and everyone,

I sent a message to Dr Lovat and explained the situation.  He replied saying that he could not give a one line answer to my enquiry but would be happy to see me on referral from my GP, so I have that option open if I can't sort out the confusion with Guy's St Thomas's.

On Tuesday I called the woman who books the HALO appointments.  She said that they had made up another list that morning and am I was on it - treatment date is expected to be 21 March, so let's hope the matter is now finally settled and that the procedure will go ahead then.  Will keep you posted.

Take care,

Sandra
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 12:01pm
Good, I'm very happy for you..Should be a halo every 2 months after that ..The Ablation heals in 3 to 4 weeks of being carefull .Remember your not in the CLEAR till its all gone ..

THANKS

Jeff

Edited by jcombs99 - 09 Feb 2012 at 12:03pm
IP IP Logged
Sandra W

Quote Sandra W Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 12:42pm
Hi Jeff,

Yes, it will be very interesting to see how many HALO treatments it takes to get rid of this - it's not Barrett's, it is squamous dysplasia and stretches in patches along the oesophagus from 27cm to 36 cm.  I am looking forward to getting it done and with a bit of luck I won't need too many treatments, but I guess it's a case of sticking with it until all the cells are gone.  Let's just hope nothing else happens to cause any more confusion with the plans and that I actually get it done on 21 March!!!

Take care,

Sandra
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 6:07pm
All the best for March 21st.

As an aside, Laurence Lovat has set up his own website, with a few colleagues: www.GastroLondon.co.uk He is writing an occasional blog. His first report was on attending an upper GI study day at St. Thomas's.(You'll find the blog link at the bottom, left of centre.)

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
Sandra W

Quote Sandra W Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 11:42am
Hi Chris, Jeff & everyone,

Thanks for your message.  I have looked at the website you mentioned and will look out for further information put on there in the future, although In have to say that there didn't seem to be a lot of information about the session at St Thomas's considering that it went on all day.  Still, it's worth having a look from time to time.

Something really strange has happened as well - must tell you about this.  As you know, I was meant to have my treatment on 15 February but it got cancelled - now I have been offered a job interview on 15 February for a radiotherapy appointments clerk at St Thomas's , and if my treatment had gone ahead as planned I would not have been able to go to that!!!  I can't help thinking it must have been meant to work out like that and perhaps it's a good sign - wish me luck (and hope they don't find out about the dodgy cells!!!).

Take care,

Sandra

Edited by Sandra W - 11 Feb 2012 at 11:12am
IP IP Logged
LazyLout

Quote LazyLout Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 12:33pm
Sandra W,

You have "turned the corner". Good luck with your interview next Wednesday.

Lazy.
IP IP Logged
Sandra W

Quote Sandra W Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 11:11am
Thanks LL,

Let's hope all goes smoothly from now on.

All the best,

Sandra
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version