Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: Can Barretts be reversed? Post Reply Post New Topic
suehyp
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote suehyp Replybullet Topic: Can Barretts be reversed?
    Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 10:13am
Hi everyone

I've just been diagnosed with Barretts...no dysplasia and not a lot of symptoms either (they were looking for celiac disease because of a very low folate level and no-one has suggested a link between the two???)

I'd just like to know....if my hernia was repaired and it was successful and the acid stopped refluxing....could the oesophagus repair itself, so take away the risk of cancer?

Also, I can't afford Halo at the moment but could afford annual checks on the Barretts, can anyone suggest a private hospital/doctor/technician for that?

Thanks
Sue
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Online Status: Offline
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 10:49am
Hi again,

Barrett's doesn't heal itself.
Although I had the anti-reflux, and hiatus hernia repair surgery, nearly three years ago, I know I still have Barrett's (and probably have had for at least 17 years) and will have my next 2-yearly scope probably in April to tell me how it looks - it could still progress to dysplasia.

If you do want to have extra scopes, it is very likely the gastroenterologist you are under on NHS also works privately (most do) either at a nearby private hospital or within private wards in your local NHS hospital. If you are happy with him, you could ask him?

Otherwise, you could search on the BUPA site, find a gastroenterologist in your area and speak with him?

Chris
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version