Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: protein shakes and vinager. Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
bobdigi

Online Status: Offline
Quote bobdigi Replybullet Topic: protein shakes and vinager.
    Posted: 27áNová2011 at 3:42pm
Hello. I have two things i'd like to discuss. Firstly i am quite into fitness and weight lifting. I was really getting into weight lifting around the time i found out i had Batrretts (about 3-4 months ago) When i found out about my Barretts i kind of gave up on any exercise. I also stopped drinking the protein shakes i was drinking because i wasn't sure if the protein shakes were bad for my Barretts, or heartburn.
  Anyway i'm no longer behaving like i have a death sentence and i'm back into regular exercise. I'm thinking about starting weight lifting properly again, and i'm thinking about taking protein shakes again.
 My question is, does anyone know if this is a good or bad idea when having Barretts? These shakes have a lot of chemicals, but they are useful for providing the extra protein needed for weight training.
 Maybe protein shakes would be good for Barretts. Anyone know either way?
  Another subject i'd like to talk about is the fact i saw something on the news the other day (UK news) about vinagar being used to spot cells in Barretts that will turn cancerous. Apparantly if these bad cells are sprayed in vinager, they hold onto the vinager for longer than normal healthy cells. Apparently it could mean they can opperate on the cells upto three years earlier.
 Does anyone know anymore about this technique?
 It is going to be performed in a hospital near me and sounds quite interesting. I'm going to phone the hospital on Monday to find out more.
 Can anyone tell me anymore about this? And  is it known about else where?
 Thanks all, Bob.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 27áNová2011 at 4:14pm
Hi Bob,

Don't know about protein shakes. Shouldn't expect them to be detrimental.

I first learned of the vinegar marker when blind reviewing some research abstracts a couple of years ago (so am unaware whether it was Pradeep's work at Portsmouth.

In a very interesting presentation at the annual meeting of Barrett's Wessex this year, Dr Praful Patel displayed various imaging techniques that are used to show up the Barrett's cells. (images available on our website.)
On Tuesday evening, there is a Barrett's event at Kuti's Brasserie in Southampton from 7:30 (ú20 per head - it's not too late to book. Go to www.barrettswessex.org.uk for details). Praful will be there along with a number of other gastroenterologists. I intend to discuss the vinegar marker article with him then.

The item, for those who missed it, is available here. Although I query a couple of the statistics in the article.

Whilst most of Barrett's Wessex's members are in the Southampton area and we are slowly spreading westwards covering Bournemouth and, eventually Bristol, we do have members in the Portsmouth area. Perhaps we should consider involving QA hospital Portsmouth and Pradeep Bhandari, too?

P.S. If you are in the wider Wessex region and wish to join us, pop me an email.

Regards

Chris

Edited by chrisrob - 27áNová2011 at 4:16pm
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 27áNová2011 at 4:31pm
Bob
   If you don't go for dinner go for the monthly meeting..That has worked very well for me getting to know the people who are working with me .I have a tight group of people I deal with and they know I pay well and never give them a hard time .Their my friends who SPEAK up if they see me doing something wrong or I can do it better . Sooner or later I will drop in at a meeting because WE have nothing like that here. But I have many doctors I can Call.I'm getting a GI check this week will ask my doc about that .

GO !!! Have Fun and Learn Something ..

Cheap Jeff   

Edited by jcombs99 - 27áNová2011 at 4:42pm
IP IP Logged
bobdigi

Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 27áNová2011 at 5:48pm
Thanks for your replies jeff and chris. I'm not sure i'll attend on Tuesday, but i will look into Barretts Wessex and the monthly meatings. I'll also send you an Email about joining.
 I have also read that article you left a link too. It's very interesting, but the meeting Tuesday will probably go over my head. I'm not medically minded enough for that.
 I live in Gosport, just over the water from Portsmouth, So i'm going to phone tomorrow to see how i go about having the procedure done. 
 In the article it speaks about the procedure being aimed at 4,000 people in the Portsmouth area with Barretts. Hopefully i can join that list.
 I wonder if this is a break through for people with Barretts, or just something that might be of benefit, but not 100% efficent? 
 Thanks again Jeff and Chris.
                               Bob.
IP IP Logged
johnd
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johnd Replybullet Posted: 27áNová2011 at 8:15pm
hiya
I have taken to going to the gym lately and I tried those protein shakes in the vain belief that it will cause muscles to sprout and fat to vanish. Now I just mainly have them as a treat when I collapse back at home. I find that, for me, they are very benign, even slightly therapeutic. With the weightlifting though, I would personally worry about any stooping, or any stooping combined with exertion. If its those weight machine things, I find them no problem at all. But its rather uncomfortable if I have had a meal in the preceding hour so - as a result I have lunch about 10.30am!
55yo, diagnosed 2011 at 5cm Barrett's, 3cm as at 2013 (?), so far non-D
IP IP Logged
bobdigi

Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 27áNová2011 at 9:40pm

I know what you mean. I wonder if they're a waste of money myself. But they taste nice and i spose they can only help.

I also wonder if exercising is a good idea for reflux. I think i'm ok as long as i don't eat a couple of hours prior to weights.
 I don't really get reflux anymore that i know of (perhaps silent reflux, but who knows)
 I certainly don't get acid reflux since being on ppi's.
 I'm average weight, but for a couple of years i had a bit of a gut. It was these 2 years that i had acid reflux which i believed caused the Barretts. So i want to stay slim and fit.
 Healthy diet and exercising is the best way for this.
 I feel a bit ripped off though, as i was only a few pounds overweight. I certainly wasn't fat.
Never mind.
IP IP Logged
johnd
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johnd Replybullet Posted: 27áNová2011 at 10:06pm
You sound a bit like me. I think I always had the HH and intermittent heartburn, but, call it coincidence, but when I put on a few pounds these last few years and gave up the gym, it got worse. Now I have a fairly modest PPI regime and more frequent gym I am really feeling pretty OK. I always have ranitidine or gaviscon handy if I get an attack of heartburn. Like you, I don't know what the Barretts is doing, but if the heartburn is under control I figure thats the best you can do. But, I am still only 9 months on from diagnosis, so its early days.

Lol I feel a bit ripped off too, but my Dad had an HH, and I once I put 2 and 2 together I just knew I had an HH too even before the scope.

Look forward to hearing from you after you've had a a few gentle sessions at the gym, I bet you start to feel better.

Edited by johnd - 27áNová2011 at 10:08pm
55yo, diagnosed 2011 at 5cm Barrett's, 3cm as at 2013 (?), so far non-D
IP IP Logged
bobby
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote bobby Replybullet Posted: 27áNová2011 at 10:59pm
John, Bob

I am a retired rugby player, since January I have dropped 3 1/2 stones, I have recently taken to going back to the gym, nothing more than toning up the wobbly bits!!

It's been a benefit to me losing a mass of stuff round my middle, 8" from my waist and I'm now wearing Large shirts, they have always been XL minimum!! That to me has been a godsend in the reflux dept, especially when sleeping, I have had no reflux during the night since losing weight.

I used to go to the gym to stay "bulked up" but now I am toning up, I can recommend lifting light weights, say 25Kg, in 3 sets with reps of 15 in each. I tried crunches for working the abs but found it uncomfortable, I now use the sit on ab trainer at 36Kg and do 3 sets of 15 reps on that, you are sitting upright so have no reflux from lying down and its a lot easier physically. 

IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 28áNová2011 at 12:18am
bobby
    Yes !! your right tone up don't muscle up .My HH dropped from 4 cm to 3 cm when i lost 35lbs ..Even if you do nothing eat fish twice a week and forget the bread . I can get great fish here BUT it costs because the ocean is 1,500 miles away..You feel and look better with no spare tire around you..

JEFF
IP IP Logged
mrstella
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote mrstella Replybullet Posted: 28áNová2011 at 4:50pm
I personally have not had any issues with protein shakes and still take them twice a day, so far managed to shift 6% body fat and dropped a couple of stone :). And tbh feel far better than i ever did in the last 20 years.
You shouldnt be eating in the two hours before doing any exercise save for maybe an energy gel as you can make yourself ill anyway especially if your doing heavy exercise. And certainly dont take a protein shake before hand as undigested protein is known to inducing vomitting under heavy exercise.

And the shakes do work especially if you get the correct ones, they shouldnt be expensive mine costs approx 50p per 500ml shake.

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version