Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Natural aids Post Reply Post New Topic
steffie_71
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote steffie_71 Replybullet Topic: Natural aids
    Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 11:02am
Has anyone been trying natural remedies to help with symptoms?

I have been hearing of Aloe vera, Deglycyrrhizated licorice (DGL),  and folic acid.

I have just ordered the licorice so I can give it a try.  Just wanted to know of your opinions.

Stephanie
Sometime I feel like I need rubbing out and drawing afresh
IP IP Logged
headyheady
Groupie
Groupie

Quote headyheady Replybullet Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 7:50pm
Hi Stephanie
I bought some bio anacid tablets in Italy - they seem to swear by herbal remedies there.  They have aloe vera and degycyrrhizated licorice in them.  I have started sucking them sometimes before I go to sleep and they are fairly soothing.  I make sure I take the lanzaprosole too though.
IP IP Logged
Suzy

Quote Suzy Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 10:04pm
Hi Stephanie

I currently take Slippery Elm in tea form just before going to bed but you can just take the capsule or the powder (truly disgusting ) I find it very soothing, much better than a spoonful of Gaviscon which is what my Dr. recommended. I get far less reflux during the night (or at least I'm not aware of so much), a much better night's sleep and far fewer problems when I get up in the morning.

I've been trying the DGL for some months now but as yet haven't found they make much difference to anything.

I've always been a big fan of Aloe Vera and take copious amounts of it but for those thinking of taking Aloe Vera there are a few things you should know and I guarantee they will not mention this in a shop!

Look for the Seal of Approval of the International Aloe Science Council. This is an independent American regulatory body which monitors the quantity of aloe in the products. If their Seal of Approval actually appears on the container (not simply a claim or sticker) it is bona fide.

100% stabilised Aloe Vera should be the first ingredient on the label and there should be no flavourings or colourings added.

Avoid 'Double Strength' products - this means it has been reconstituted from freeze-dried gel and will contain less stabilised Aloe Vera Gel.

Avoid any product that mentions boiling or pasteurisation. Excessive heat destroys the active ingredients. Cool processing is what you are looking for.

It should not be homogenised or filtered. The filtering process means it will have passed through charcoal filters upsetting the natural balance of nutrients found in the gel. It is preferable to have the pulp in the gel not to remove it.

Hope that's helpful.

Suzy
IP IP Logged
steffie_71
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote steffie_71 Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 10:55am
Thanks Suzy

I was thinking of getting aloe vera so your advice is very welcome.

Steph

Sometime I feel like I need rubbing out and drawing afresh
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version