Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Alcohol and Barrett's Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
bobdigi

Online Status: Offline
Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 06áNová2011 at 3:57pm
I drank wine almost every night (a bottle) And since my diagnosis i have only drunk once at a wedding. I was only smoking one cigerette a night (after my bottle) and have also stopped doing that.
 I'm also confused weather a glass of wine is a good thing or not. Apparently a glass is goo because of its sillenium (can't spell it) but then alcohol relaxes the LES. It seems you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.
IP IP Logged
bobdigi

Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 06áNová2011 at 5:19pm
29? I'm 32 and i thought i was really young to have this. I've had to stop the wine too and would also like to know if a glass is good or not. So when you've made your mind up, let us know.
IP IP Logged
LindaG
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote LindaG Replybullet Posted: 15áNová2011 at 6:57pm
Hi all

My husband recently did the Bravo 48hr PH test (he was off the PPIs for 5 days previous) and we used the opportunity to experiment with different foods/alcohol.  He found that wine (his drink of choice), and gin & tonic, made the meter reading drop sharply (acidic).  However, with whisky and a little water, the meter reading stayed at the normal level, 7.1.  So now he just has an occasional whisky and water, but I guess everyone will be different. 

Incidentally (and off topic -sorry), it also showed that most of the fruit he was eating was acidic, in fact the only ones that weren't were bananas and melon.  But best of all, it showed that his PH values were within normal limits and there was no evidence of significant acid reflux.  This, I believe, is all down to his weight loss, change of diet/lifestyle etc.  However, the doc has kept him on a lower dose of Nexium (40mg) till his next endoscopy in a year's time, as he is still "susceptible" to acid reflux. 
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 17áNová2011 at 12:35pm
LindaG
     I'm glad your husband is doing very well and has adjusted to being barretts free and keeping it that way .That's good his PH is normal without being on drugs ,I had to be on 60mg to do that.I was able to do testing like you on the foods but I stay at the hospital so I did no brooze testing.The doctors are always telling you no brooze because it relaxes the LOS. But really I think it's the grapes NOW because if I drink a small glass of OJ not watered down I get heartburn but everyone is different .What really can a small glass of wine do at lunch and dinner can't make you drunk ? Was he wearing the meter while working ? That's what drove my meter down to 2 (very bad)not while sleeping like many people get ..

Stay Out of the Sun

HGD Jeff   [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="middle" />

Edited by jcombs99 - 17áNová2011 at 5:34pm
IP IP Logged
LindaG
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote LindaG Replybullet Posted: 18áNová2011 at 7:26am
Thanks Jeff.

Yes, he was wearing the meter while working and had a fair amount of stress during that time but it didn't drive the meter down.  The meter also stayed high overnight, particularly when he was lying on his left side.  Basically the only things that made the meter drop was the wine, the G&T, and fruit, particularly apple, but he was sticking to the GERD diet in the main and still does.  However (and I don't understand this), he still does a lot of throat clearing and a bit of coughing during the night.

Edited by LindaG - 18áNová2011 at 7:31am
IP IP Logged
Cinders
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Cinders Replybullet Posted: 20áNová2011 at 9:50am
This is a subject I am so pleased to read about other peoples experiences, as I too find a glass of red wine is the only pleasure left in eating, especially eating out, especially in other peoples homes which is always a challenge as people really have no idea what we are living with!!! However, I am so aware that women especially should not drink even one glass onf wine every day for other reasons, however I do find it helps with digestion, as well as making me feel better about things generally!!!
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 20áNová2011 at 10:17am
I believe the present recommended maximum levels of alcohol for women in UK is 14 units per week - so with a small galss of red wine coming in at 1.5 units, I think you'll be OK, Cinders, if you find (as I do) it helps your digestion and makes you feel good - rather than causing heartburn.

Cheers

Chris
IP IP Logged
Cinders
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Cinders Replybullet Posted: 20áNová2011 at 11:42am
Cheers, I always value your opinion on this subject, and its great having the forum for support, as most people have no idea what we have to put up with!!! Although not being able to eat a huge amount at one time has certainly helped me keep the weight off, which can only be a good thing!!! I have had three grandchildren aged 8, 6 and 3 staying  this weekend, and it is impossible not be bending down picking things and people up, and boy does my tummy not object!!!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version