Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Event: Apple Cider Vinegar - Event Date: 15 May 2011 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4
Author Message
chrisrob
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 01 May 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2509
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2011 at 11:19pm
Hi Bobby,

Question 1 is what everyone's asking. But NICE haven't enough historical data yet to approve it.

Question 2. After ablation, normal squamous cells grow back to replace the destroyed Barrett's cells.

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
RichardT
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 250
Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:11am
> Most people get Barrett's from a HH they can do nothing about.
> It's a bit rich to infer criticism of their lifestyle.

The point is - the reason people get Barrett's is not generally stated, It can be HH, or pregnancy, or obesity. Or a combination.

One statistic is that more men get Barrett's than women.

That ties in with the fact that men tend to put on visceral far which displaces their stomach, causing Barrett's. Women lay it on around their hips which does not displsce their internals!

Of course obesity can also cause HH.

My point is that unles the real causes of Barrett's are known for each case the issue of which cases progress is clouded. If causes by obesity - that points to a bad diet/lifestyle!

Call it wishful thinking if you will. But I have HH which appears to be congenital. I have never been overweight - though when I was 4kG over my present weight, indeed the reflux was worse. That 4kg was caused by diet! But I also eat a very varied diet. See
http://www.Torrens.org.uk/FFF/index.html      Wild Food

Like us all here, I'm interested in the real causes of cancer so I can improve my chances!
See http://www.nutritionj.com/content/3/1/19 Nutrition and Cancer: a Review of the evidence for an anti-cancer diet from the Nutrition Journal
for what appears to me to make a lot of sense!
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
RichardT
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 250
Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:15am
> Given the advances in medicine available is there any way that the Barrett's
> cells can return back to normal cells?

Barrett's can indeed regress to normal. If this is going to happen islands of normal cells start to appear within the Barrett's area.

I had such islands diagnosed in January so investigated, and this is apparently the way Barrte''s regresses.

Some here, who had short sections of Barrett's, have reported complete regression, That seems to be rare.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 01 May 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2509
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:11am
Please note. The "Research paper" Richard refers to above is in fact a report: a collection of ideas without any actual research seemingly having taken place.
It was complied by Michael Donaldson, a chemist who was hired by the "Hallelujah Acres Foundation" to provide evidence that the "Hallelujah Diet" created by Reverend George Malkus, could cure cancer.

Reverend Malkus claims old testament reports that people lived over 900 years are correct (rather than an error in the way time was recorded) and it was due to people eating the "Hallelujah Diet". He also claims the diet cured his colon cancer.

The diet has been widely condemned by the scientific community.
This article provides an easy summary of the dangers. Whilst this article is not a scientific report, its author is as well qualified as Michael Donaldson.

This article however, is written by a distinguished medical doctor and researcher.
The Bottom Line: Although low-fat, high-fiber diets can be healthful, the Hallelujah Diet is unbalanced and can lead to serious deficiencies.

The real danger with this is that people may forsake life saving medication in the belief that this will cure them when, in fact, it may actually cause them more harm and distress.
IP IP Logged
johnd
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 84
Quote johnd Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:30am
"My point is that unless the real causes of Barrett's are known for each case the issue of which cases progress is clouded."

Working out which cases progress is indeed the problem.

But the cause of Barrett's is reflux, simple as that.
The cause of reflux is usually a HH.
A HH may be congenital or due to physical factors such as obesity, pregnancy of physical exertion.

Even if you knew the cause of the HH it does not help you much in the quest to determine which cases progress. Sure, it MAY be that obesity has been in a factor hitherto, but now you've got it you are in a different situation. As you say, good lifestyle and diet might well help. Its hard to argue against losing weight or stopping smoking. An obese person who comes into the clinic sloshed and puffing like a chimney is an easy one to pick out. But most of us are not like that Richard.

Radically changing your diet once you have a condition is not a bad thing. But we should not kid ourselves that being good from now will undo any naughtiness from before. The key thing has to be to stop the acid damage. Your chances also probably depend on your own personal disposition to cancer in general, in the form of your gene makeup.

In the end, there are so many unknowns that you do several things at the same time so that some of them might work. But lifestyle and diet is just one of them, and we don't know how it compares with all the other approaches. After all, this is one condition where medical advances have already made a huge and successful difference.

Chris's point, and its the one I think its important to come back to in the heat of this discussion, is that people are slipping off the dish because they weren't diagnosed early enough and persistent heartburn was shrugged off as a nothing.

Sorry its been a bit of rant this morning.
55yo, diagnosed 2011 at 5cm Barrett's, 3cm as at 2013 (?), so far non-D
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 01 May 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2509
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2011 at 10:00am
Further to my exposé of the Hallelujah Diet above, it's not only the scientific world that has condemned this diet but the religious world also:
See this article.

Warning to all who do their research on the net: Check claims and authors etc. very carefully. Anyone is able to set up a website to sell whatever ideas they wish. Their claim are not always correct.
IP IP Logged
RichardT
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 250
Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2011 at 12:21pm
> The "Research paper" Richard refers to above

I did not refer to it as a "Research paper" ... It is a Review, and that is what I quoted!

The article concerned quotes lots of references. I have not checked those out but anyone is free to do so!
.
However there are plenty of other parties recommending much of what is advised in this article - but they don't go so over the top in their conclusions (thanks for pointing that one out, Chris).

Coloured veg/fruit in particular is much recommended, as is a diet low in red meat and with a high amount of different vegetables, The "5 a day" recommendation.

Despite your demolition of this article (and I agree about the diet concerned) there is much in it which is good advice! The fact that the writer has a vested interest doesn't make the whole article valueless.

Most of us here are, I think, concerned about not developing cancer. I would not claim to know anything about curing it, and although there are plenty of peolpe who claim to have cured cancers by diet, I remain sceptical on that!
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
Carolyn
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus


Joined: 29 Dec 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Quote Carolyn Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2011 at 4:29am
Hi guys again : If there is any new info on Barretts from Reckitt Benkiser or Dr. Fitzgerald could we have a resume of it on this forum please?
IP IP Logged
David494
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus


Joined: 12 Dec 2018
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote David494 Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:55am
Have you ever tried to use cannabis? cannabis contains a wide variety of medicinal properties including but not limited to its ability to help improve acid reflux. However, one of the most well-known medicinal benefits of cannabis is its analgesic (pain-relieving) properties, which can be useful for treating GERD.

Whereas we welcome discussion, recommendation of what is an illegal substance in many countries is not encouraged. (Admin)

Edited by admin - 28 Dec 2018 at 10:31am
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 01 May 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2509
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 10:34am
From the Down With Acid encyclopaedia:

There have been many studies into the medicinal properties of cannabinoids (eg marijuana) with many on-going around the world presently. Beneficial properties are being found particularly in areas of pain relief. Like Peppermint, the benefits of the drug are as a muscle relaxant.

There are many claims made for benefits of the drug on gastric problems. MedicalMarijuana.com claims, "Research suggests that cannabis is effective in treating the symptoms of these GI disorders in part because it interacts with the endogenous cannabinoid receptors in the digestive tract, which can result in calming spasms, assuaging pain, and improving motility. Cannabis has also been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and recent research shows crucial neuromodulatory roles in controlling the operation of the gastrointestinal system, with synthetic and natural cannabinoids acting powerfully to control gastrointestinal motility and inflammation." but, although a list of references is published on the site, it hasn't been possible to find the paper this quotes.

The concern is, like Peppermint above, the "calming" and "improving motility" may also exacerbate reflux.

Cancer Research UK issue this advice: "Although centuries of human experimentation tells us that naturally-occurring cannabinoids are broadly safe, they are not without risks. They can increase the heart rate, which may cause problems for patients with pre-existing or undiagnosed heart conditions. They can also interact with other drugs in the body, including antidepressants and antihistamines. And they may also affect how the body processes certain chemotherapy drugs, which could cause serious side effects."
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum