Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Does hernia repair help? Post Reply Post New Topic
niglov

Online Status: Offline
Quote niglov Replybullet Topic: Does hernia repair help?
    Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 10:05am
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who aswered my post about Warfarin. Smile

I was also diagnosed with a 'large' hiatus hernia at the same time as Barretts. 

Does anyone have a view about having that repaired with a laparoscopy?  Would it help the GORD and therfore help prevent further development of the Barretts?

Would I even be offered it as a 62 year old on Warfarin? (NHS cuts and all!)Unhappy

Cheers

Nigel
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 11:42am
> I was also diagnosed with a 'large' hiatus hernia at the same time as
> Barretts. Does anyone have a view about having that repaired with a
> laparoscopy? Would it help the GORD and therefore help prevent further
> development of the Barretts?

I am 5 years older than you. I also have HH plus Barrett's.

I found that 'normal' doses of PPI were a problem: yes they controlled acid but I suffered from bile reflux.

Bile reflux seems to be a common problem with PPIs and indeed PPIs do cause it: some of the mechanisms are explained on my www site.

I cut down the dosage of PPIs and increased the frequency -- again se my www site for all the facts behind that.

I then learnt (from a medical herbalist) that caffeine raised acidity so stopped drinking tea.

I have been of low frequent PPI for 8 months. No tea for 5 months, At last gastroscopy there were islands of normal cells in the Barret's - that is the way it 'heals', apparently.

Oddly now if I don't take a dose of PI I get no acid or bile: the reduced dose seems to last very long. I suspect I could wean myself of PPIs, but as I have no symptoms or side effects, I don't care to try!

Reducing PPIs from normal doses is a problem: during the process you can expect rebound acidity and horible bile reflux. PPIs drastically upset the normal hormonal loop that controls the normal digestion, so it's a wonder there are not more problems when using them.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
niglov

Quote niglov Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 11:54am
Thanks Richard,

Yes, my daughter is a naturopathic neutritionist and I guess I should listen to her more carefully!! Ermm

She is totally against PPI (and caffeine) for exactly the resons you give.  She is working out a diet plan for me and I must respect it - it's my life after all!

She also has a great website, just google body optimum it always comes out on top.

Did your regime help the HH?

Cheers

Nigel
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 12:12pm
Hi Nigel,

Hiatus Hernia is not uncommon and can be a significant causal factor of reflux since it weakens the lower oesophageal sphincter.
It is unusual, except in exceptional circumstances, to be offered hiatal hernia repair surgery since most people are able to live normally with it.
However, anti-reflux surgery (fundoplication), if undertaken, will normally include hernia repair.

All the ebst

Chris
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 12:54pm
> Yes, my daughter is a naturopathic neutritionist and I guess I should
> listen to her more carefully!!

It is difficult to know what advice to take: there are so many contradictory facts!

> She is totally against PPI (and caffeine) for exactly the resons you
> give. She is working out a diet plan for me and I must respect
> it - it's my life after all!

Bad health, unless physical (injury, HH etc) is down top what we ingest, either by mouth or by lung. Bad health is either too much of a bad thing, or too little of what is good.

Problem is - exactly where is the balance?

It seems that a healthy body can cope with a little of almost anything. It that is true, most ill health is caused by deficiency in our diet. The only way to avoid that is you have as wide a diet as possible. The official '5 a day' advice recognises that - and of course eating 5 portions of fruit & veg is likely to reduce your intake of meat and carbohydrates.

I'm lucky -I have very wide tastes in food and I am also interested in wild food. My wife is a good cook, and we both enjoy salads - but our salads are unlike anything most people have tried, especially this time of year when many herbs are at their best! so I have no problem eating a wide variety.

> She also has a great website, just google body optimum it always
> comes out on top.

Medical herbalists, nutritionalists etc. are often considered to be fringe medicine. However - not so in Germany, Switzerland and most of Eastern Europe where they are main-stream medicine. I think UK, USA etc are missing out! We, the afflicted, should pat attention to all sources of wisdom!

The herbalist I saw was http://www.cambridgeherbalist.org.uk/

> Did your regime help the HH?

HH cause reflux. PPIs, a well as causing bile, also relax sphincters exacerbating reflux (again, mechanism is written up on my wwws site) - via Gastrin. So whilst I still reflux because of the HH, it is less than at its worst, and I treat it as a useful way of testing how well controlled my acid and bile is, so not a problem.

There are those who claim they can help a HH by physiotherapy. I think the best help is to control my weight properly, so avoiding excess visceral fat.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version