Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Barret's treatment and Warfarin? Post Reply Post New Topic
niglov

Online Status: Offline
Quote niglov Replybullet Topic: Barret's treatment and Warfarin?
    Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 4:26pm
Hi - I am new here, this is my first visit and I am impressed with the levels of support, advice and general knowledge!

I have just been diagnosed with Barrett's.  Having been prescribed lansoprazole for 15 years it has just occurred to my GP that I ought to have a gastroscopy. Confused

The result was the usual hiatus hernia but also Barrett's.  Biopsies were taken but I don't yet have the results.  I will see the consultant in a week or two.

My father died 32 years ago from cancer of the oesophagus aged 62.  My sister has just recently had tha same diagnosis as me.  She is 64 and I am 62.  It does seem to run in the family.

I recently had a deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolisms and will be taking Warfarin for at least a year.  I am worried that any treatment that I may need will be delayed  or not even offered because of the Warfarin.

Has anyone had experience of this?

Regards

Nigel
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 4:46pm
Hi Nigel and welcome,

It's disturbing you were on lansoprazole for so long without being scoped - particularly with your familial history. GP's do need more training to recognise the potential seriousness of the condition.

I'm guessing your Barrett's will be non-dysplastic which will be confirmed by your biopsy results.
Meanwhile, I suspect advice over things to avoid are similar for warfarine and excess stomach acid anyway? - No aspirin, ibuprofen, NSAI's.

However, if high grade dysplasia is found things may be different as you need to avoid surgery if possible.
However, that chance is pretty small; your surgeon would have to deal with that if it became necessary.

But I am not a doctor: these are just how I read the situation.

All the ebst

Chris

Edited by chrisrob - 27 Apr 2011 at 4:47pm
IP IP Logged
johnd
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johnd Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 4:56pm
Hi Nigel

I must say I don't understand why GP's prescribe PPI's without doing a gastroscopy. My brothers is on PPI's too and I'm trying to get him scoped (my Dad also had HH).

Your gastro or GP will advise on the interaction of Warfarin with PPI's - I just googled it and the results seemed OK.

If you are non-dysplasic then you can join the rest of us in the "worried well" club.
If you have any kind of dysplasia in the biopsies then, in view of your Dad, then speaking as a layman I would personally consider ablation for the Barretts, but you might have to pay if its less than high grade dysplasia.
55yo, diagnosed 2011 at 5cm Barrett's, 3cm as at 2013 (?), so far non-D
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:13pm
Nigel
    Lets hope you just have barretts with no dysplasia...The odds of IT changing to DYSPLASIA is 5.7% a year (www.curebARRETTS.COM)..THERES NOT A LOT THE NHS WILL PAY FOR AT THIS TIME.. But it will change in time .My brothers have barretts I had HGD so make sure your doctors knows about your father and sister maybe they will give you a EGD for that reasons every year , please stay on top of this...If you went private they would do it next week . Look up LINDAG posts .

Take Care HGD Jeff

Edited by jcombs99 - 27 Apr 2011 at 7:20pm
IP IP Logged
niglov

Quote niglov Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 10:15pm
Thanks a lot for the replies. Smile 

I guess all I can do for now is wait for the biopsy results and the Consutant appointment. Sadly, at my age and stage, going private isn't an option. 

No point worrying about what I don't know yet!

Cheers

Nigel
IP IP Logged
Terrapin54
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Terrapin54 Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 2:43pm
Hi Nigel and welcome,
I had DVT last year and have been on Warfarin for just over a year, and will probably be so for another year as they don't know what caused it. I was diagnosed with Barrett's last November and apart from being prescribed Omeprazole, my Warfarin dose hasn't changed and I have an INR about once a month. I am 57 btw, and am one of the well aware!
Regards
Richard Smile
Whereof of one cannot speak, one must remain silent.
IP IP Logged
lizthebob

Quote lizthebob Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 9:21pm
Hi Nigel
i have just had THE major surgery for cancer of the oesophagus. While on chemo beforehand I had a DVT and pulmonary embolism. Because of the up coming surgery I had injections of CLEXANE instead which I could have right up to and straight after surgeryh. It does the same job as warfarin but has a very short life in the boidy so can be used for patients having surgery.
In fact my gp thought it is a better option for someone with our condition. Only downside is I have to inject myself!
Liz
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 9:25pm
LIZ
   How are you getting along?? Are you eating better??

Take Care

JEFFREY
IP IP Logged
lizthebob

Quote lizthebob Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 12:38pm
Thanks Jeffrey
I am actually eating really well although still have a horrible taste in my mouth. Saw my surgeon this week who was really pleased. Having more trouble with the severe reaction I had to chemo but as my surgeon seems very hopeful that I am cured, it is something I may have to learn to live with.
Liz
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version