General
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :General
Message Icon Event: Alcohol and Barretts - Event Date: 29áMará2011 Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Marie63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Marie63 Replybullet Calendar Event: Alcohol and Barretts
    Posted: 29áMará2011 at 9:34pm

Hi all, I am new to the support group as I have just recently been diagnosed with Barretts. So i have given up smoking, changed my diet, bought a new bed to sleep upright, etc etc. but..... I am going out with friends at weekend and will be having a drink!, I don't drink alcohol a lot but when i go out i normally drink lager, or Tia maria and coke - i know it recommends 'No alcohol', but crikey, whats left?? So does anyone know of a safe and fairly low alcohol drink that i could get away with and not do too  much aggrevation to the acid reflux? Confused x

IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 29áMará2011 at 9:56pm
Hi Marie,

Welcome to this exclusive club with an entry criteria none of us want

As far as alcoholic drinks go, you'll probably have to experiment (not too many different ones at once ) as we are all different.

For me I found I was OK with red wine (though not white), a small brandy (but not whisky), bitter (but not lager), cream liqueurs (but not citric ones).
But others will have had different experiences.

Just be careful and keep a note of what feels OK.

But I also found plain water gave me reflux whereas, against most advice, sparkling water was OK. But I also could not drink very much without having something yo eat at the same time to help soak up the liquid to stop it splashing.

(But now I've had the fundo op, I can drink anything!)

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
johnd
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johnd Replybullet Posted: 29áMará2011 at 10:22pm
I'm just a newbie, but having read everything on here I can see that there are very differing experiences with reflux - some have it really bad, but maybe don't have much Barrett's. I've got a fair bit of Barrett's and a 1cm wide 'hole' in my upper stomach valve (oesephagal sphincter I think its called) but not much heartburn, and now with 20mg Omeprazole I can drink and eat more than at any time in my life, bring on the vindaloos! [IMG]smileys/smiley2.gif" align="middle" />   So for me the change is that (a) thanks to PPI's I don't get heartburn and (b) I really am aware of any sensation that could be heartburn, and then slam in another Omeprazole. So for me its making sure I'm not doing any more damage by controlling the symptoms of heartburn, and then sitting down in the quieter moments and worrying about this "pre-cancerous" lining I've had the bad luck to pick up.

ps. Those foam wedges for the bed are pretty good too.

Edited by johnd - 29áMará2011 at 10:23pm
55yo, diagnosed 2011 at 5cm Barrett's, 3cm as at 2013 (?), so far non-D
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 30áMará2011 at 8:45am
I really am aware of any sensation that could be heartburn, and then
> slam in another Omeprazole. So for me its making sure I'm not doing any
> more damage by controlling the symptoms of heartburn, and then sitting
> down in the quieter moments and worrying about this "pre-cancerous"
> lining I've had the bad luck to pick up.

Omeprazole is destroyed in an acid environment. So theoretically it should not work when taken as a response to acidity.

Personally I'm not so sure: the capsules disolve in the stomach and the inside granules should then travel through to the intestines before releasing the drug. The intestines should be neutral so it should work. But they take 3-6 hours to be fully released, so it's no quick fix.

I would advise a fix of antacid - e.g. sodium bicarbonate - for immediate relief. I've done this myself on the odd occasion I forget to take my normal dose.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 30áMará2011 at 8:57am
> I don't drink alcohol a lot but when i go out i normally drink lager, or
> Tia maria and coke - i know it recommends 'No alcohol', but crikey, whats
> left?? So does anyone know of a safe and fairly low alcohol drink that i
> could get away with and not do too much aggrevation to the acid reflux?

Many of the side effects of PPIs are caused by the upset to the entire endocrine system. Acid production is part of a complex system that switches on and various body hormoles, and off again when the stomach contents are "correct".

If the stomach can't produce acid - some of these hormones are not switched off properly. I think it'd that which cause many of the side effects. certainly in me it caused bileáreflux.

So drinking an acid drink actually should put the stomach contents nearer what the body itself is trying to do. I've found few relevant facts but I have been advised that a pH of 3 is about the most acid the stomach sould be allowed to get. Cider has a pH of 3. More about food pH on my www site.

I would steer off sweetened drinks. Also off cream drinks. Otherwise - experiment! Personally I've always preferred tomato juice to most alcoholic drinks.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
johnd
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johnd Replybullet Posted: 30áMará2011 at 9:28am
Yes Richard you are dead right. Omeprazole is definitely not an instant fix - I think what I meant to say is that I live within my current dose and if I feel its not going the full 24 hours I take another one. I have a bottle of 10mg ones I use for this purpose.

I know what you are going to say (you see, I do actually read all your posts with great interest! ;) ), why not take two 10mg a day. I may get to that stage. At the moment I am just enjoying the idea that a 20mg Omeprazole in the evening sets up me up for a long sleep!

Actually, on the rare the times I had an outbreak of heartburn I have taken Gaviscon or even a Zantac (Ranitidine), both of which seem to hit the spot fairly quickly. But I try not to let that happen, as I realise that it is mild heartburn over the years which has caused the problem.

Edited by johnd - 30áMará2011 at 9:30am
55yo, diagnosed 2011 at 5cm Barrett's, 3cm as at 2013 (?), so far non-D
IP IP Logged
Marie63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Marie63 Replybullet Posted: 30áMará2011 at 12:58pm
Thanks for that Chris, yes i thought i might have to see how things go, but i'm not a lover of wine, normally drink lager but i know it gives people reflux but i'm guessing most drinks will. Anyway, good of you to reply with your experienceSmile. Cheers.
IP IP Logged
Marie63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Marie63 Replybullet Posted: 30áMará2011 at 1:06pm
Thanks Richard - Oh my goodness - all these Ph things confuse me lol. No I won't drink cider, but isn't it funny that Cider is made of Apples and Apples are fine to eat. Anyway, i'll do the test and if i can remember my night (only kidding) i will post you all the outcome on Sunday/Monday. LOL.
IP IP Logged
Terrapin54
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Terrapin54 Replybullet Posted: 30áMará2011 at 2:50pm
Hi Marie,
just to add my two penorth! I drink mostly red wine, sometimes bitter, and very infrequently lager or cider. I can't remember the last time I drank any spirits, but I was ok with vodka. I too try to avoid sugary or citric drinks. As others have said, it varies from person to person, so just experiment to see what suits you best.
Regards
RichardSmile
Whereof of one cannot speak, one must remain silent.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 30áMará2011 at 3:52pm
M63
This is a Common Sense thing (1)4oz glass of low alcohol(3%) wine at lunch and dinner is good for you . It's when you drink the mugs of high alcohol(20%) wine you could really get some heartburn . If your scared don't drink .. I put bricks under my bed..

JEFF

Edited by jcombs99 - 30áMará2011 at 3:55pm
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version