General
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :General
Message Icon Event: My Dad - Martyn Stamford - Event Date: 06áMará2011 Post Reply Post New Topic
Lynda
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Lynda Replybullet Calendar Event: My Dad - Martyn Stamford
    Posted: 18áMará2011 at 8:51am
Hi all

Just a general entry - My Dad Martyn Stamford - sadly passed away on 6 March 2011 - diagnosis severe Barrett's syndrome which led to adenocarcinoma oesophageal cancer.  He was 80 and had a fantastically healthy and active life.  He had no symptions at all until last November with slight indigestion and was eventually diagnosed in January.  We found this site just before he passed away and wish we had discovered this earlier as on reading through the posts and information, we feel this is such a superb charity providing information, help and support.  We decided to ask the numerous friends and ex work colleagues of my Dad to send donations to this charity rather than flowers for the funeral and, from the cards we have received, we believe many have done so.  It has been commented that this was typical of my Dad to think of helping others.  We only hope that the good work of this charity continues and that awareness of this condition is promoted as much as possible.  We are taking great comfort in the knowledge that my Dad's passing has in some way helped others with the same condition.  Rest in peace dearest Dad. xx
IP IP Logged
Terrapin54
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Terrapin54 Replybullet Posted: 18áMará2011 at 12:34pm
Dear Lynda,
sorry to hear about the passing of your father. As many have said on the site we are the lucky ones who have been diagnosed early, and while we may still develop cancer in years to come, at least we know what can be done about it. It sounds like your father's diagnosis came too late, but I am sure your discovery of the forum would have given some comfort. I always follow the threads avidly.

It was very generous of your father and your family to make donations to the Barrett's charity, and I do help this will help to a better understanding of what is a very little understood condition in the medical fraternity. Once again my deepest sympathies.
Richard
Whereof of one cannot speak, one must remain silent.
IP IP Logged
Kath
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Kath Replybullet Posted: 18áMará2011 at 12:35pm
 Lynda my thoughts are with you and your family at your sad loss of a well loved Dad, and it is a positive and kind thing you have done in his memory to donate to the Barretts Charity it is slowly becoming more recognised in the public eye through peoples efforts and donations. Thank you from me a Barretts diagnosed person of 25 years. Take care Kath.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 18áMará2011 at 12:51pm
Dear Lynda,

So sorry to hear of your father's passing to this terrible condition.
It is amazing it is not yet better known and acknowledged.

As a charity, we are looking at ways to raise awareness in the general public particularly with the projection that incidences of oesophageal cancer may triple in the next 10 years.
Your generous donations, and those of your family and friends, will help in this - and hopefully, by promoting the message that frequent indigestion and heartburn should be checked, we may prevent others from finding out too late.

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
LindaG
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote LindaG Replybullet Posted: 29áMará2011 at 11:09pm
Lynda, so sorry to hear about your dad.  My mother in law (83) is in the final stages of esophageal adenocarcinoma and like your dad, had no symptoms until the sudden onset of food getting 'stuck' in her esophagus.  Thank you for your kindness in supporting this charity and helping to get the word out.

Best wishes
Linda
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version