Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Regurgitation Of Food Post Reply Post New Topic
Alan-P

Online Status: Offline
Quote Alan-P Replybullet Topic: Regurgitation Of Food
    Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 12:15pm
Hi

I am new to this forum and would be very glad to get some advice.

I was diagnosed with Barretts about 3 years after having acid reflux on and off for nearly 20 years.  My GP arranged for regular screening and the last one came back OK.

I have recently had problems with excessive white phlegm build up ( which I cough up in small amounts throughout the day) and also regurgitation of food after meals, particular things like apples and bread.

I wonder if anyone else has these symptoms. I do worry sometimes that the regurgitation, even though it is only for a short time after eating,   could be something serious.

Alan 

Edited by Alan-P - 03 Mar 2011 at 12:16pm
IP IP Logged
Terrapin54
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Terrapin54 Replybullet Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 1:29pm
Hello Alan and welcome to the forum.

As its your first day, you probably haven't had time to look around the forum, but there are many topics covering all sorts of 'reactions', be it reflux, or to PPI's and other medicines, the effects of diet etc.

I think the interesting thing is that all of us react to Barrett's one way or another, although it can vary a lot depending on the individual. I was only diagnosed 3 months ago, and had no idea I had Barrett's. Yes, I had reflux, occassional regurgitation, but I put it down to me being a smoker. Once I started PPI (Omeprazole), the reflux subsided a lot, and although I still get the odd coughing fit, with phlegm, I hardly ever regurgitate now. As I've mentioned before, I have had other gastro problems, and even found that the omeprazole helped me regain my appetite and weight!

Are you on any medication? What effects has it had for you? If you are suffering badly, it might be worth going to see your GP and discuss some alternatives. As I said above, different people have different reactions to PPI's, and sometimes a change can better, or even trying a different dose.

I'm sure you'll get much more informed replies to your post, as there are many members who are more knowledgeable than me about Barrett's. Once again welcome, and to the slightly stange learning curve about Barrett's.
Kind regards
RichardSmile
Whereof of one cannot speak, one must remain silent.
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 3:46pm
> I am new to this forum and would be very glad to get some advice. I was
> diagnosed with Barretts about 3 years after having acid reflux on and off
> for nearly 20 years. My GP arranged for regular screening and the last one
> came back OK. I have recently had problems with excessive white phlegm
> build up ( which I cough up in small amounts throughout the day)

Sounds like you may have either a lung infection or bronchiectasis. Best get it checked out. It is damage to some of the finer parts o0f the lungs so that the automatic clearing doesn't work properly. I have mild bronchiectasis (in my case cause d by an infection 25 years ago) which doesn't cause any problems other than the phlegm production.

>
> and also regurgitation of food after meals, particular things like apples
> and bread.

You are on PPIs I presume? PPIs cause increased gastrin levels and gastrin relaxes the lower oesophageal sphincter making reflux more likely.

It's something the medics won't tell you - because they don't know!

It's all explained on my www site, with lots of links to scholarly papers.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 9:16am
Hi Alan and welcome,

You do seem to be experiencing very common symptoms.

Hopefully adjusting the dosage of your PPIs will help to some extent.
But we are all different and you will need to experiment with foods to discover which ones you can and cannot tolerate.
I found white bread was quite difficult to cope with as it swells when traversing the digestive tract. If you have slow peristalsis, this can cause a problem and, in my case get stuck or in your case go into expulsion mode.

Very many refluxers also tend to get recurrent throat clearing / phlegm and cough issues for various reasons. If your upper oesophageal sphincter has been damaged, it is likely small amounts of refluxate may be entering the trachea and bronchi. (This is known as laryngopharyngeal reflux or LPR.)

PPI's will reduce the acid but not the reflux. You will need to follow the general advice about eating little and often, remaining upright after eating - not eating for at least three hours before retiring at night, not doing any stomach cramping exercise after eating etc.

You will find a list of tips on www.barrettswessex.org.uk if you haven't already been given a long enough list.

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 9:45am
I, too, used to regurgitate quite frequently. Usually larger lumps that I had not chewed properly (there's a moral there!).

However, it seems my regurgitation has become somewhat less... I've not been taking much notice of it, but it could be due to the very small more frequent doses of Omeprazole I'm taking (5mG 3 times/day). This is only just keeping my acid levels under control. That may mean my gastrin levels are not excessive and that means the LES is not as lax as under heavy PPIs.

It seems to fit the facts. What I have learned from my researches indicates that the ideal drug would not stop acid production completely, but would stop the stomach getting more acid than pH3.

Gastrin control seems to be very important, so some stomach acidity is required to control it! I suppose this could be by drinking acid drinks: cider is about pH3, or pickles or vinegar. Dilute cider vinegar is said to have many health benefits.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
michaelh
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote michaelh Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 3:26am
Hi Alan,
I would regurgitate almost every night after a meal, to the point where I almost slept sitting up! I had a fundoplication which cured that issue and whilst it is not suitable for everyone it certainly stopped that problem, it has not stopped the Barretts though.
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 8:45am
> I had a fundoplication which cured that issue and whilst it is not
> suitable for everyone it certainly stopped that problem, it has not
> stopped the Barretts though.

How do you stop Barrett's? Barrett's is a semi-permanent change of the cell types in the oesophagus.

You can stop its progression but it is unrealistic to expect the cells to return to their old state.

If the reflux that caused the problem is properly controlled then in time islands of normal cells can start to appear in the Barrett's area.

Or do you mean you still have symptoms from Barrett's? There are no symptoms caused by Barrett's oesophagus.

There are symptoms of the reflux that caused the Barrett's and medication e.g. Omeprazole causes symptoms or side effects!
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
michaelh
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote michaelh Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 4:49am
that problem meaning Regurtitation! the length of my Barretts is in excess of 18cm so I hve a few more issues than most as treatment is a little limited.
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 8:44am
I have found that regurgitation is a side effect of Omeprazole. Caused by the PPI unbalancing Gastrin levels.

I have also found that taking omeprazole in very frequent small doses stops almost all of the regurgitation.

I have been on 5mG 3 times a day for a over 4 months now. No side effects. No bile reflux and no solid regurgitation.

I can take 5mG 4 times with no adverse effect - but no benefit, so I haven't tried more frequent 5mG doses. However I suspect one could take it every 3 hours (except at night of course) with no side effects. Omeprazole has a very short half life, so a dose that lasts 12 hours causes a very high initial blood level and it seems to be this that causes all the problems.

It's all explained on my www site. There is a lot of research out there, but it's not easy putting it all together, and no doctor can possibly know all of the findings. They also all seem to think that Omeprazole is almost without side effects. We mostly know better here!
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
Suzy

Quote Suzy Replybullet Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 11:14pm
Hi Alan and welcome. I used to have a terrible time trying to keep my food down and I can certainly relate to the apples and bread. I do find a red apple can actually help with heartburn but I have to be very careful to only take a small bit at a time and really chew it well. I also find different types of bread have different reactions so it's worth trying several kinds. White bread is a problem for me unless it's certain brands of ciabatta, co-op and Waitrose yes, Sainsbury's no - work that one out! We're all very different and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.    Personally, I have found I have fewer problems if I make a real effort to eat slowly and really chew everything well.

Best wishes

Suzy

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version