Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: new and symptoms Post Reply Post New Topic
liverpool lass

Online Status: Offline
Quote liverpool lass Replybullet Topic: new and symptoms
    Posted: 04áJaná2011 at 4:28pm
Hi,

I am 43, female and diagnosed with Barretts 3 weeks ago, I had a gastroscopy as I was feeling a lump in the back of my throat and a sharp pain for hours on end at the top of my back after eating I was firstly prescribed Omeprazole 20mg on Nov 25th and had my scope on 14th Dec.

I have now been on Landsprazole since 18th Dec 60mg per day as I had pain all day after swallowing the Omeprazole and stilll I have the lump in my throat and pain particulally inbetween my shoulder blades after taking a tablet or eating the majority of things.

I am not due to see the consultant again until the 18th Jan but have found that trying to get any info from him very difficult, he just seems very laid back and wants me to have a back x ray but I dont hink I have a back problem as it happens after eating. I am also getting some side effects off the Lansoprazole such as tiredness but unable to sleep and constipation, I could handle this if the symptoms had eased but they really haven't.

After reading all the very helpfull info on this site I have been sitting up after meals, eating a GERD diet as much as possible not eating after 6pm and drinking only water but as I never used to get any heatburn and indigestion pains I dont know what my triggers areConfused

all the consultant said was dont eat after 6 and drink only water, I am worried sick at the diagnosis and its more worrying that my symptoms are not easing,

does any one have any Ideas, I dont see the consultant again til the18th and each day is agony at the moment,

many thanks x

Edited by liverpool lass - 04áJaná2011 at 4:32pm
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 04áJaná2011 at 5:02pm
Hi Liverpool Lass,

Not sure how much help I can give apart from making sympathetic noises and telling you to try not to worry.

It's possible the pain is referred pain from oesophagitis? But you say you don't get heartburn.
Do you get breathing / chest pains? These can be from laryngopharyngeal reflux which could cause referred pain in the area you describe.

Does the lump in your throat affect your voice? Acid refluxing at the upper oesophageal sphincter can attack the voice box. This could be the feeling you describe?

Most of the PPIs produce the side effects you describe though the more recent ones are claimed to be better (but more expensive): pantoprasole, esomeprasole. Your consultant might try you on those.

Do pain killers help? Don't use anything other than Paracetamol or Cocodamol though as NSAIDs, ibuprofen etc will increase your stomach acid. (Though ibuprofen gel may be used transdermally for localised pain.)

I am assuming biopsies were taken during your gastroscopy which proved positive for Barrett's? If so, the good news is you don't have dysplasia or adenocarcinoma or you would have been informed.

The 18th seems a long way off but it is only a fortnight. Hopefully you can hang on in there till then and see what your consultant recommends then.

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
liverpool lass

Quote liverpool lass Replybullet Posted: 05áJaná2011 at 3:14pm
thanks for taking time out to reply chrisrob and for the pm jeff,

some of the symptoms do match laryngopharyngeal reflux eg constantly clearing throat, I am now having a back and chest x ray and an abdo ultrasound on Friday and see my GP tomorrow, really struggling to sleep maybe that is side effects even though during the evening I am so tired.

The main prob is the swallowing, think it would be better to describe it as the motility its as if things take forever to pass down the Oesophagus and stab the top of my back for hours if that makes any sense.

The results were no dysplasia although I had to ask as I was not offered that info, I only knew what to ask from lurking on this site!

Will keep you posted and so glad that I am aware other people have this, have only managed to find a friend of a friends father so far and he is 75 so I dont  really think I would have much in common with him,

take care,

LL x

Edited by liverpool lass - 05áJaná2011 at 3:14pm
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 05áJaná2011 at 3:48pm
LL
Look up or ask your doctor (get a GI not GP)about these tests ..I took them in one day.1)BARIUM X-RAY TEST..2)MANOMETRY TEST...3) 24 hr or 48 HR PH TEST..Did it get worse after your scope (EGD).. IT took 4 weeks for my throat to get back to normal from that so called doctor who KNOCKED IT OUT OF WACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Why don't you try a liquid diet for a couple weeks till the doctor gets this sorted out.

HGD JEFF

Edited by jcombs99 - 06áJaná2011 at 1:48pm
IP IP Logged
liverpool lass

Quote liverpool lass Replybullet Posted: 05áJaná2011 at 4:24pm
Hi Jeff,

yeh the swallowing and pain is getting worse not better on the PPI, had a sandwich about 2 hours ago and still in agony back and shoulder pain and irritation in throat is the main symptom.

Seeing GP tomorrow re PPI as script is running out, Consultant radiologist on Friday for abdo ultrasound and back x ray and gastro consultant on 18th to review, I think he suspects gall bladder issues as all females in my family have had them out Confused

this is what happens when you turn 40! was fit and well till then Wink

Edited by liverpool lass - 05áJaná2011 at 4:25pm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version