Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Alcohol Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
chrisrob

Online Status: Offline
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 10:25am
If non acidic refluxate passes the upper oesophageal sphincter, it can enter the lungs and cause untold damage - hence my cough.
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 10:29am
> Also, if a drink is acidic, it will not cause the stomach to produce more.

> Many swear by cider vinegar diluted with water.

Yes, I have been advised this too. Apparently both cider vinegar and lemon juice tend to make blood more alkaline, rather than more acid as you would expect! This suprised me: I'm investigating.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 10:31am
> Cold milk may feel good initially as it goes down your throat. But
> its high fat and protein content will actually cause the stomach to
> produce more acid and make the acid reflux worse.

I should have said skimmed or semi-skimmed milk. We don't use full milk as I see no health benefits in excess animal fats.

Edited by RichardT - 13 Dec 2010 at 10:58am
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 10:58am
> If non acidic refluxate passes the upper oesophageal sphincter, it can
> enter the lungs and cause untold damage - hence my cough.

How many of us could have that happen and not be aware of it?

I have bronchiectasis - which is lung damage. However I can trace that back to ane particular event and it has no connection with relux. It causes me a productive 'cough' - more of a throat-clearing than a true cough, so it's not a problem.

But I also have a chemically-induced tickly cough. Omeprazole is one drug that induces that. Lisnopril is another. It's not severe with Omeprazole and is related to blood concentration level, so my little-and-often regime keeps it easily lived with.

Hoewever - yes, I'm aware that silent reflux that can enter the lungs is a possibilty. I cannot imagine myself being unaware if that did happen to me.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
Terrapin54
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Terrapin54 Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 11:38am
As a newbie, and only on PPI's for 2 weeks, I'm still trying to find out what suits me best. I avoid citrus, but still drink coffee and red wine, but have cut down. I also drink a lot of water, and tend to avoid fizzy drinks. Fortunately I don't suffer from heartburn, but i do get acid reflux. The PPI's seem to help with this.

I'm thinking about keeping a diary of food and drink and reactions. Does anyone do this?

Richard
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 12:07pm
T54
    That's good a diary of what you eat . What does it for me is SALT. It's in every premade food, tomoteo sauce, bread,bread crumbs,all condonits.I love the sauced frozen fish but the sauce gives me heartburn. I learned to take it out of the sauce before I eat it . I love pork tenderloin but I wash all the sauces off of it before I cook it because it's full of salt .Most Yanks eat about 5X to much salt that's why we are FAT and have lots of high blood pressure.

HGD JEFF
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 1:51pm
> Most Yanks eat about 5X to much salt that's why we are FAT
> and have lots of high blood pressure.

... is a bit of a fiction. Salt does not raise blood pressure - unless you don't drink enough water or are one of the people with kidneys that retain salt.

Most yanks probably don't drink enough water, and there are possible enough people with bad kidneys to make them statistically noticeable.

Edited by RichardT - 13 Dec 2010 at 1:54pm
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 2:06pm
Does sodium salt increase blood pressure?
I think the jury's still out.
I have read papers for both sides of the argument.
Because the initial research findings suggested that those who had high blood pressure (hypertension) may have their condition exacerbated by excess salt, many believed it was bad. "Lo-salt" (potassium salt) is often used instead. However, the body needs a balance of both.

My wife suffers from hypotension (low blood pressure) and has been advised she needs to increase her sodium salt.
Interestingly, the GP's say it's good to have low blood pressure: you'll live longer unless, as one GP put it, you faint in front of a bus!

Does salt affect blood pressure and health?
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 2:18pm
Chrisrob
Good reply maybe we have high blood pressure because we are FAT not salt.. I dropped 40 lbs now Blood Pressure is 88 over 66 that means low like when I was 19 not 54 .Salt gives me hurtburn so I don't like it .

Trust no one and watch every thing posted

Have a Nice Day

HGD JEFF
IP IP Logged
bobby
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote bobby Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 10:22am
T54, I keep a diary of everything that I eat and drink and also the time of day that I do.

Jeff, I weigh 16 stones, I am in no way fat, although the PPI's have given me a bit of fluid retention and now have a small belly. On taking my diary, as above, to the clinic my consultant could not believe I weighed as much given the amount of food I eat. My heartbeat sits around 55 BPM and my blood pressure has never been high.

I have been this weight most of my adult life and it is only since being diagnosed and being on medication that I have found my waist size going up from a 34" to 36", although I do have a couple of pairs at 38" when I get really bloated.

Personally, I think it's a small price to pay.

Edited by bobby - 14 Dec 2010 at 10:23am
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version