6hundred
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote 6hundred Replybullet Topic: Alcohol
    Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 9:21pm
Help
What the hell can i drink.
Struggling with tea and coffee and water.
I'm fine with red wine on the night ,but suffer the next day with horrendous pain and heartburn and struggling to breath.
Just wandering what the members can drink on this forum? Cry

Edited by 6hundred - 13 Dec 2010 at 7:41pm
IP IP Logged
Sech
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Sech Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 10:31pm
6hundered....i soooooooo feel your pain...its the same with me...red wine used to be my friend. Not any more!!!!. Have you tried a spirit with a mixer?...though fruit juice sets me off and I get terrible wind with coke etc. So uncool and not very festive. Let me know if you hear of something that works. I still drink my red wine but need to guzzle gaviscon like juice!!!!.

I have the consultant on Tuesday...5 months after my last PH study. Wish me luck and good luck1

Sech x
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 11:06pm
There is much advice about drink.
"Don't drink alcohol. Don't drink coffee. Don't drink fizzy drinks. Don't drink citrus fruit juice. ... "
I found I tolerated red wine - and, indeed, believed it helped my digestion. I found white wine acidic. Still water immediately refluxed but I could tolerate slightly sparkling water. (Local GI surgeon suggests sparkling drinks can help release trapped gasses without them forcing reflux.) I know I drank too little. I tended to eat a piece of fruit when I was thirsty instead.
IP IP Logged
Sech
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Sech Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 11:21pm
Thank you Chris...good news for a red wine drinker....hoorayyy!...especially when we are in the froes of the festive period! x
IP IP Logged
bobby
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote bobby Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 11:58pm
I find I can drink most things, I have little issue with red wine and white wine is best if its dry, I love Champagne but find it a bit hard now but have found Prosecco to be an able substitute when bubbles are on the go, but I never refuse champagne if its offeredWink
I enjoy a lager, Tennent's by choice being a Scot, and can take cider with little issue, both pear & apple, I have also taken a wee notion to Crabbies alcoholic ginger beer, very refreshing. The only time I have problems is if I go overboard with it, I try and moderate intake, but sometimes it just happens..

On the soft drink side orange juice is a no no for me but I can tolerate Cranberry juice and regularly mix this with apple juice at Breakfast. I found that Decaff Coffee is better in terms of reflux, but it is a bit bland, like those non alcohol beers, what is the point!!Dead

Difficult time of the year coming up with festivities most weekends for a month!!
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 8:09am
> Still water immediately refluxed

Is there really a problem with water refluxing? The oesophagus is only worried by acid or alkali. Plain water should not worry it.

Maybe you drank it too fast?

All the health advice around says that for good health you should be drinking lots of water. A least 4 pints, maybe as much as 8 pints a day.

Certainly healthy urine should be clear to light straw coloured, never darker.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 8:14am
I would suggest people try Rooibos (Red Bush) tea. It's a lot more gut-friendly than either tea or coffee.

When I hsd an inflamed gut, I found that, of alcoholic drinks, I could drink cream liquers. The cream lined my oesophahgus. However - that was about the worst health choice possible. My weight increased, cholesterol went wrong, kidney function was stressed. Don't go there!

The best health drink of all is water. Lots and often.
http://www.watercure.com

Edited by RichardT - 13 Dec 2010 at 8:15am
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 8:30am
> I found white wine acidic.

http://www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/FoodpH.png
may be useful.

Still cider, beer, teas and or course milk are probably all sensible. Avoid the more acid (low pH) drinks. Maybe iced teas?

I was advised to keep stomach pH higher (less acid) than about 3. Presumably same advice is sensible for drinks.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 9:14am
To answer Richard T.

Reflux is caused by a weak lower oesophageal sphincter, not the acid.

Why I tolerated sparkling water over still water may be due to the viscosity. All liquids would "back flow" to some extent. Still water felt "thicker" to me whereas sparkling water seemed to "flow through" easier.
Unfortunately I do not like tea. I think redbush tea without milk ought to be a very sensible drink.

Milk is highly controversial. It can appear to soothe in the short term but can cause acid and reflux problems.

From one of many sites:
"Cold milk may feel good initially as it goes down your throat. But its high fat and protein content will actually cause the stomach to produce more acid and make the acid reflux worse. The high fat content of the milk tend to float on the stomach contents. The heavier fats also tend to rise to the top. This lowers the pressure in the LES causing it to relax and more acid to move up the esophagus making the heartburn even worse. Low-fat milk is sometimes better tolerated in patients with GERD"

My view is that drinks should be slightly acidic which will help the digestion of food. Particularly when using PPI's there may be insufficient stomach acid. Also, if a drink is acidic, it will not cause the stomach to produce more.

Many swear by cider vinegar diluted with water.

But it is an interesting debate.
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 10:19am
> Reflux is caused by a weak lower oesophageal sphincter, not the acid.

Of course it is.

But the damage is caused either by acid or bile.

If you're not refluxing acid or bile it is not harmful. Only unpleasant to some. It does not worry me.

Edited by RichardT - 13 Dec 2010 at 10:32am
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version