Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: Barrett's regression Post Reply Post New Topic
adambr

Online Status: Offline
Quote adambr Replybullet Topic: Barrett's regression
    Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 10:04am
Hi - I was diagnosed with Barretts in March this year and was told to take 20mg of Omeprazole daily. I made some lifestyle changes including continuing to cut back on fatty foods, not lying down until 3 hours after eating and getting a wedge pillow to sleep on.  I had another gastroscopy last week and the Barrett's had regressed to under 0.5cm and I was told to stop taking the Omeprazole and just self-medicate when and if I feel pain.
I just wanted to let everyone know this because it shows if you take the medication and make the right lifestyle changes the Barrett's can regress.  It may come back again but I'm sure that would be because I reversed those lifestyle changes.
Of course, any good news is always mixed with a little bad news and the doctor who did the gastroscopy said all those with a susceptibility to Barrett's have a susceptibility to heart disease due to the risk factors such as fatty foods and smoking etc. And, of course, he pointed out that is a much bigger problem - while only 5% of Barrett's patients go on to get cancer, 50% of the population gets heart disease of one form or another! Not sure of the validity of the figures but that's what he said. It shows how important dietary changes! They are absolutely crucial for all sorts of reasons.

Edited by adambr - 12 Dec 2010 at 10:13am
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 10:28am
A
   Very good for you your barrettes is going away ( or is being covered up with new tissure ) very rare but good for you .The size of barrettes if it is 8cm like mine was or .0005cm doesn't matter in BARRETTES case you still have barrettes .What your doing I guess is working so why would the doctor change the treatment UNTIL you no longer have barrettes??Remenber it can still change to something worse..You only need ONE BAD CELL to get cancer so I would go lookin for a better doctor .Like I said SIZE doesn't matter in this case .This isn't a cold or flu thing.

Barrettes free HGD JEFF (halo)

Edited by jcombs99 - 12 Dec 2010 at 10:32am
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 1:10pm
> I had another gastroscopy last week and the Barrett's had regressed to
> under 0.5cm

You didn't say how long the segment was - but any regression has got to show things ae going the right way.

My segment is long: 9cm, with no dysplasia - which was contrary to what the endoscopist's report predicted. He said "He is likely to have at least high grade dysplasia.."

I am due for another endoscopy 10th Jan. As I now have acid and bile reflux under control it will be interesting to see if this has allowed any regression.

> stop taking the Omeprazole and just self-medicate when and if I feel pain.

I would suggest you go on my 3 x 5mg day regime or a similar little & often regime that suits you.

> the doctor who did the gastroscopy said all those with a susceptibility
> to Barrett's have a susceptibility to heart disease due to the risk
> factors such as fatty foods and smoking etc.

Assuming your Barrett's was caused by those factors of course. Many of us have, for instance, hiatus hernia. That is no indicator of other problems as far as I can see!

> And, of course, he pointed out that is a much bigger problem - while only
> 5% of Barrett's patients go on to get cancer, 50% of the population gets
> heart disease of one form or another! Not sure of the validity of the
> figures but that's what he said. It shows how important dietary changes!
> They are absolutely crucial for all sorts of reasons.

Absolutely. You are what you eat.

The problem as ever is sorting out good advice from bad, and good food from bad. And then re-educating your tastes to like what's god for you.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 1:50pm
RT
I have a scope on the same day as you and it will be interesting to see if how your E is doing . Make sure your doctor takes at least 24 biopises that's what the doctors should take .Lets hope it gos well for the both of us . I will ask the doctor IF I can go to 30mg a day from 45mg if the E looks good . If someday it gos badly I want somewhere to go on the drug thing.

HGD JEFF
IP IP Logged
adambr

Quote adambr Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 10:21am
All good points. The section was 2cms long originally. The consultant said that the Barretts cell change was under 0.5cms which wouldn't even be referred to by them as "Barretts" suggesting there's an element of small-scale cell-change in a lot of people. The option of remaining on a small does of Omeprazole is always there but , of course, it's a drug that carries risks itself. It's all a balancing act! 

IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 11:29am
> The option of remaining on a small does of Omeprazole is always
> there but , of course, it's a drug that carries risks itself.
> It's all a balancing act

Omeprazole is considered 'by the trade' to have few side efects - we users know different of course. Minimising the dosage of any drug will minimise the side effects. I have found my dosage of 3 x 5mg per day effective without any side effects.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 8:34am
> The consultant said that the Barretts cell change was under 0.
> 5cms which wouldn't even be referred to by them as "Barretts"
> suggesting there's an element of small-scale cell-change in a
> lot of people.

Wikipedia on Barett's is informative (if a bit scary).

Apparently there are two types of metaplastic cell which can be involved in Barrett's, essentially stomach cells or colonic cells. Or a mixture.

I suppose the 'join' between stomach cells and oesophagus cells is not sharp and may wander up and down. So where has to to be to be called Barrett's?

www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version