Message Icon Topic: New Member Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Terrapin54
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote Terrapin54 Replybullet Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 10:44am
Welcome Rachel,
I'm sure you will find the forum very helpful. I certainly am. I log in most days and still learning about Barrett's.
Richard
IP IP Logged
LindaG
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote LindaG Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 12:08pm
Hello everyone, I am also a new member here, and so glad to have found this forum.

My husband was recently diagnosed with BE.  Total shock for us as he has never suffered with gastric reflux or even mild heartburn and is never ill!  He has never smoked but does like a drink or two and could do with losing a few kilos.  The only symptom which prompted a visit to the doc was the sudden onset of wheezing when he was sleeping.  He was given Nexium and a Seretide inhaler there and then, and scheduled for an endoscopy the following week.  Thankfully, the results showed no dysplasia.

As it happened, we found out shortly after that my husband's 83 year old mother had just been diagnosed with eosophageal cancer.  Another shock, as she also has never suffered with digestion problems of any kind, never smoked and very rarely drank alcohol.  She is a bit overweight though.

Our dilemma is......if there are no gastric symptoms, how do we know if we are doing the right thing with regard to diet/drinking etc.  And is gastric reflux the only cause of BE? I would love to hear from anyone who is in a similar position.

Many thanks.

IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 1:10pm
Hi Linda,

Sorry to hear of your husband's condition.
As we frequently say, he is lucky as he has been diagnosed and will, presumably, be screened regularly to ensure his Barrett's doesn't become dysplastic, whence surgical intervention would prevent cancer developing.

Sorry to hear of your mother-in-law. There is some evidence there can be a hereditary link for the disease.
Surgical intervention at the adenocarcinoma stage can be very traumatic. I hope she has the stamina to withstand it.

As regards the dietary advice, it's a difficult one to call. The lifestyle advice of losing weight - smaller meals more frequently, and no strenuous exercise that would tense or constrict the stomach after eating - are most important.

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 1:43pm
Linda
    You need to post a little more like what tests were done and results.. What's the doctors game plan on this if he has one ? I could tell you what tests to take but if the doctor says NO that's it . In the USA I can get any test I want like right now or switch doctors even faster. But that may not be the case by you and my costs are $350 per week now. .Read peoples posts and check out this website CUREBARRETTS.COM

HGD JEFF

Edited by jcombs99 - 29 Dec 2010 at 1:58pm
IP IP Logged
LindaG
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote LindaG Replybullet Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 11:26pm

Hi Chris / Jeff

Thank you for your replies.

My hubby is following our doctor’s advice on diet combined with Dr Peter D’Adamo’s “Blood Type” diet. Anyone tried this diet?  We’ve also raised the head of the bed by 6 inches and we just hope that all this is helping as he can’t tell.  Unfortunately, his mother’s adenocarcinoma is advanced and her doctor advised against surgical/chemical intervention (she is 83 after all and probably wouldn’t be able to handle it).  She did however have a ‘stent’ inserted to allow her to eat.  It was also discovered that she had 10 duodenal ulcers which, again, had caused no symptoms.  My husband also had ‘duodenal erosion’ show up on his endoscopy so I definitely think this is familial.

Apart from the endoscopy (when 5 biopsy samples were taken), hubby had a ‘Hut’ test for H Pylori which was negative.  At the moment he is on Nexium 40mg twice daily for one month followed by 20mg twice daily for another month, then its back to the doctor for follow up.  He was prescribed Omeprazole initially which made him feel ill so the doctor changed it.  Oddly, soon after starting the medication he got an abscess in his tooth and he is convinced this is because of the PPI.  Also, the abscess is not responding to antibiotics and anti-inflammatories,

The plan is for another endoscopy at 6 months.  Our doctor advised against ablation therapy as there was no dysplasia, however we have written to a Consultant Surgeon at BMI Ross Hall Hospital in Glasgow for his opinion but have had no reply as yet.  We live in the Middle East and I don’t know if the ‘Halo’ system is available, I need to investigate this further.

For now I will continue to work my way through all the messages on here (my husband is not a ‘Forum’ person) and do as much research as I can. 

Thanks again for this site and a Happy, Healthy New Year to you all.

Edited by LindaG - 01 Jan 2011 at 11:34pm
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 11:45am
Linda
    Go to that website they will tell where the doctors are .By being on ppi's his throat should heal so they can take a good look at his E and take 4 biopises every 2cm not 5 total .There is no reason to wait 6 months ask your doctor how about 3 , time isn't on his side .If you ablate you can't get that form of cancer so why wait and WORRY .By using halo even if you have cancer it may buy you a couple of months time..

HGD JEFF
IP IP Logged
LindaG
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote LindaG Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 2:01pm
Jeff, I did look at the site you recommended but, from what I can see, it is for locating doctors in the USA only.

When we see our doctor next we will ask him about another endoscopy at 3 months instead of 6, and also about more biopsies.  We will also press him for information on ablation therapy in our region.  However, we'd probably rather have it done in Scotland, which is our permanent home, so will pursue that as well.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 3:16pm
Lindag
     SORRY ! Your right they changed the website and they keep changeing it the FOOLS .I spent an hour and I still couldn't find it .Contact.... GBLYTH...(UK MAN) in the menbers list by EMAIL and I'm sure he will get back to you today .MAYBE SOMEONE COULD HELP HER WITH THE RIGHT WEBSITE.. I'm sure they will fix this but why did they muck it up?? They don't do Halo in Scotland BUT in the UK.

HGD JEFF

Edited by jcombs99 - 02 Jan 2011 at 3:38pm
IP IP Logged
LindaG
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote LindaG Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 5:16pm
Jeff, I found a doctor in Scotland who does 'Halo' (from the BMI Ross Hall Hospital web site).  We wrote to him but have had no reply.  I will contact GBLYTH for more information.  Thanks

Linda
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 5:40pm
This website has details of doctors who perform HALO treatment in UK including contact information:
http://www.barrettscampaign.org.uk/halo-system-location.html

Chris
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version