Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Barrett's Healed Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
jcombs99

Online Status: Offline
Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 3:58pm
It's burns it off. Cryo freezes it off. Two ways to get rid of it and they both work.

HGD JEFF
IP IP Logged
lizthebob

Quote lizthebob Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 4:17pm
There is obviously a case for cells to cover barretts as that is why my cancer was hidden under the surface so you probably need to still be checked out from time to time.
IP IP Logged
Suzy

Quote Suzy Replybullet Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 12:41am
Hi All

I've been away for a bit hence the delay in replying but thanks to all who replied to my orignal posts on this thread.

RichardT - Excuse me!! "...some would say a boring life..." that's my life you're referring to!! Restricted diet yes but that doesn't mean my whole life is boring!!
The diet is restricted but not because I'm trying to be virtuous or boring but because all that I've cut out makes me unwell. Not sure why your children being fussy eaters prevents you from eating what you want. We are, after all, all responsible for what we eat. Take control Richard! Hope you'll take that in the spirit in which it is intended. Good luck with the herbalist. I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

Jeff - not sure what you mean by "Be careful what you think" but I am aware that as they think my Barrett's has healed doesn't mean it won't develop again but at least I know about the condition now and with ppi's and diet hopefully I can keep it at bay.

Rodrigo - Interesting to learn you too have healed Barrett's cells. Good news for you and encouraging for everyone with Barrett's.

Mrstella - I hope that's not the case. Like RichardT I believe the cells grow from inside out as it were.

Liz - Thanks for that note of caution. Although the Barrett's appears to have healed I am planning on having regular scopes even if I have to go privately. They charge just over £1,000 a go so it's doable. Consultant hasn't said for sure yet what he intends to do. Think of you often - hope your treatment's going ok.

All the best to everyone
Suzy       

Edited by Suzy - 25 Nov 2010 at 5:09am
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 8:26am
Suzy said
> Not sure why your children being fussy eaters prevents you from
> eating what you want. We are, after all, all responsible for what we
> eat. Take control Richard!

It's a matter of how many different dishes my wife if prepared to cook.
It's almost often two: Adam (who had downs) won't eat rice, pasta,
curries or anything 'mucked about'. The middle one won't eat offal or
any red meat or potatoes. The youngest (15) won't eat chicken or turkey.

None of them are very keen on vegetables, but will eat broccoli, beans
and peas. If we gently insist.

So about the only thing they will all eat for Sunday roast is pork.

If my wife went into the sort of imaginative cooking she and I relish,
she would have to do probaably two other dishes to feed the 'kids'.

We run a business which already takes more energy than we both have.

Then there is my mother-in-law, why has dementia and my father-in-law
who is recovering from a broken femur. That's a whole other story!

Just how many problems do you think we can cope with?
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
Suzy

Quote Suzy Replybullet Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 9:17am
Hi Richard

I completely understand the situation. Two of our children have life threatening allergies - we have a house full of epi-pens (adrenaline). For 20 odd years I've been preparing 2,3 and sometimes 4 different meals per sitting. We can't even all sit down to the same Sunday roast, it's always variations on a theme. It's a nightmare and time consuming not to mention exhausting at times. We have run two businesses for years, although I had to give one up recently as not well enough to continue and currently trying to retire from other work. I won't go into the problems with the wider family but just to say I totally understand the difficulties of your situation. I'm sure though Mrs. T wouldn't mind if you made yourself a salad while she's dealing with the rest of the family but I do totally sympathise with your various problems and wish you all the best.

Suzy
IP IP Logged
headyheady
Groupie
Groupie

Quote headyheady Replybullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 9:18pm
I would really like to know how you did this - how much weight did you loose.  I would like to loose a little more if it would help. 
IP IP Logged
Suzy

Quote Suzy Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 1:41am
Hi Headyheady

I didn't do anything different to anyone else on the Forum, just ppi's (60mg lansoprazole a day), watching what I eat and I only drink water. I had "areas of Barrett's" so it could be they were newly formed Barrett's cells and therefore easier to reverse the process and repair themselves. I really don't know. Or it could be, as has happened to Liz, that new cells grew over the Barrett's cells. Perhaps they haven't healed after all and are just hidden. I'm going to ask my Consultant about that when I next see him.

As for weight loss, I have lost weight, but not because I needed to or was trying to but simply because I can't eat the way I did pre reflux! I think the general advice is that if you are over weight it would be a good idea to lose as much as you can. I guess that's a case of eating less and exercising more. Good luck.

Suzy
IP IP Logged
Suzy

Quote Suzy Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 7:52pm
Well, it seems they've changed their minds! Barrett's not healed after all. Just had confirmation from recent endoscopy that they don't actually know if I have Barrett's or not so they're now not saying it's healed, they simply don't know. It's difficult to diagnose as I only ever had "areas of Barrett's" no column. Next scope in 2013, might have an answer then. At least they've been honest!

Cheers

Suzy
IP IP Logged
sammie

Quote sammie Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 9:29pm

Hi Suzy,

When they confirmed previously that it was healed, do you know what prompted the change in diagnosis?  Were they re-examining your last endoscopy?

sammie
IP IP Logged
Suzy

Quote Suzy Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 9:21pm
Hi Sammie

When they first said that it was healed it was following a previous endoscopy that had shown "areas of Barrett's". They were not re-examining an old one. I was told again after the most recent endoscopy that there wasn't any Barrett's but on asking some very specific questions about numbers of biopsies and where they were taken on the most recent endoscopy part of the reply was "...I cannot be certain that you do not have Barrett's now...". I'm not sure if this is good news or not because they don't think they need to keep looking for it and have only agreed to do another endoscopy in 2013 because I asked for it. This probably means that if the next one's clear I'll have to start having it done privately for peace of mind.

Suzy

Edited by Suzy - 20 Feb 2011 at 9:22pm
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version