Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Event: Newly diagnosed - Event Date: 31 Oct 2010 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
lizthebob

Online Status: Offline
Quote lizthebob Replybullet Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 12:10pm
Yes I am afraid I have been diagnosed with cancer.
I had a high grade biopsy in August and then they did another repeat and found a small nodule which had cancer cells in it.
I then went on to have a PET scan, CT scan and and endoscopic ultrasound which showed no spread anywhere but that although small, the tumour had gone quite deep into my oesophagus. They think it had been there and probably missed before.
I am having two cycles of chemotherapy and then surgery to remove part of the stomach and oesophagus. The chemo is purely to 'mop up' any cancer cells that may be elsewhere as the tumour is operable.
It has all been very scary but I do feel well looked after and am trying to be positive.
Whatever the case, us people with barretts at least know we are kept a close eye on so that things don't get out of hand.
All the best
x
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 12:19pm
Liz
   Hate to borther you BUT what is the exact STAGE (111,UK) of your cancer.. In the US like I said doctors like to confuse people , they have a couple of different charts for this..There's one person who just posted with stage 1 in a us website..

Take care, JEFFREY

Edited by jcombs99 - 03 Nov 2010 at 1:08pm
IP IP Logged
lizthebob

Quote lizthebob Replybullet Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 5:03pm
Hi
Technically here it is staged as T3 LOMO
Which means it has gone into the depth of the muscle wall. But there is no lymph node or metastatic spread.
IP IP Logged
Jojo

Quote Jojo Replybullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:32pm
Hiya Liz
Just dont know what to say only good luck with your treatment, and i am so wanting everything to be allright for you. I received an appointment today for my CT scan, it is for the 17th Nov. Seems like it is so far away i need it like today. Just want to find out what is going on. Can you tell me why i am having a CT scan is this to see if i have developed Cancer and if it has spread. Feel so confused about it JOAN xx
IP IP Logged
lizthebob

Quote lizthebob Replybullet Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 1:58pm
Hi Joan
I think that if you have high grade it is fairly routine to do a CT scan. This will be to just check that there is nothing suspicious going on, like any lumps or enlarged nodes that need checking.  Try not to worry and take one day at a time.
Liz
IP IP Logged
gblyth
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gblyth Replybullet Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 9:59pm
Hi There

More and more centres are starting to offer HALO RFA for HGD. Please click on the link below to see all hospitals as of September 2010. Presently 20 but expect to have 30 plus by this time next year.

http://www.barretts-oesophagus.co.uk/find_doctor.htm
I would like to declare that I am a director of SynMed Limited the company that distributes the Halo Treatment from Barrx Medical in the UK.

Geoffrey Blyth

IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 10:24pm
JoJo and HGD people

Click on that link and IF you like what you see CALL your doctor on Monday and see IF you can get that treatment like Right now .Halo willn't mess up your treatment OR TESTS IF you have anything worse .When I was first treated by my Doctor , he was thinkin I had just barrettes but I had HGD so at the next halo he just turned up the machine...

Worked for Me

HALO, HGD , JEFF

Edited by jcombs99 - 07 Nov 2010 at 9:31pm
IP IP Logged
Jojo

Quote Jojo Replybullet Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 11:08pm
Thankyou again Liz.. The hospital that is treating me is on the list for the HALO so hopefully  when i go to see my doctor if need be i will be offered this treatment. JOAN xx
IP IP Logged
Gigi

Quote Gigi Replybullet Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 8:14pm
Hi JOJO
Sorry to hear that you have had such a fright and difficulty sharing the load with your family. I hope your scan goes well this week.  Wishing you well
Love gillx
IP IP Logged
Jojo

Quote Jojo Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 6:53pm
Thanks Gill
go Wed for CT scan then to consultant at hospital for results on the 1st Dec.  Will keep you informed Joan xx 
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version