2 [10.00%]
4 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

RichardT

Online Status: Offline
Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 9:51am
> It would be great if Barrets did just 'go away', it would be a weight off my
> mind.

My own feeling is that plain Barrett's is of itself a plain adaptation to acid/bile reflux. I think it is modern bad diet and lifestyle that leads separately to Barrett's then to cancer. Change your diet and lifestyle, I think it's probable you will live with barrett's indefinitely. Though it can regress - mine is now showing islands of normal cells.

All too little is known about the causes!

> I'm on 20 to 30 Omeprazole a day, I take 20 in the evening and sometimes 10
> in the morning. I don't know why but I think a smaller dose daily is better
> than once.

Omeprazole has a very short half-life. My own experience is around 2 hours. 20mG lasts about 18 hours. 10mG about 15. That means little and often is certainly the best way to go. It's all written up on my www site.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 12:02pm
Hi Carolyn,

The bodies overseeing treatment in different countries have to be cautious - they are too worried of the consequences if they get it wrong.
I don't know who that body is in NZ but in UK it's NICE and their guidelines are available on this site here.
So it's really only recommended here for HGD presently though LGD "trials" are being undertaken. Until there's more data available on the outcomes for LGD patients, it's unlikely the recommendations will change.

You do seem to be on a very high medication level for both your lansoprazole and your ranitidine but assuming they'r keeping your symptoms under control, perhaps you shouldn't worry too much.

Although it has been know for Barrett's to go away by itself it is not that common. However, by keeping acid reflux under control, hopefully the Barrett's won't spread or get any worse.

We do not know all the causes of Barrett's. The most common assumption is that much may well be due to diet and lifestyle though there are also genetic factors and other factors that are the subject of much research presently. (Google: NF-kB, PEA3, T4 if you dare.)

But remember, only a small proportion of people with Barrett's will go on to develop cancer - and they won't be the ones being regularly screened!

All the ebst

Chris
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 2:32pm
> We do not know all the causes of Barrett's.

Is there any doubt that Barrett's is caused by acid (or, maybe, bile) reflux?

If the oesophagus is badly attacked by reflux - what choice do the cels have? Get eroded? Ulcerate? Or change into intestinal type cells , i.e. Barrett's. Surely metamorphosong is the safest.

> The most common assumption is that much may well be due to diet
> and lifestyle though there are also genetic factors and other
> factors that are the subject of much research presently.

Genetics and life style most certainly play their parts in the cause of reflux. Hiatal hernias are certainly often genetic in origin. Obesity is certaunly lifestyle.

One should not confuse the causes of the disease (reflux) with the body's response to that problem!
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 2:43pm
C
   In New Zealand maybe Halo is a big deal (new) but in the USA with the right doctor it isn't.. My doctor treats ALL types of barretts..NO ONE has ever died of HALO WOW!!!. Not bad maybe these barrx people know what their doing .My doctor has done over 3000 halos as of last yr..No one by him as ever died of cancer after it was haloed (HGD) if thats all they had when they came in(50% have cancer with HGD)..
   I'm sure in 3 to 5 yrs everyone will be ablating just barretts till then you have to pay or wait.
   Work with your doctors on the drugs I went from 60mg a day to 30mg, but thats the lowest I will go..

Good luck with your treatments and tests more is better in this case..

HGD JEFF

Edited by jcombs99 - 25 Mar 2011 at 3:12pm
IP IP Logged
Yaya
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Yaya Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 11:38pm
Hi Jeff,
Im the mother of a 19 years old who has a 1 cm of Barrett no dysplasic and an hernia hiatal around 3 cm. Living in USA
I will be interested to know the name of your surgeon who did 1000 halos!
Thank you so much and have nice weekend

Yaya
IP IP Logged
Cinders
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Cinders Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 4:20pm
How common IS it FOR long term users to have to increase the daily dosage of omneprazole to 60mg? I've been on omneprazole for 20years
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 7:41am
Usually most people manage on 20mg omeprazole as a low maintenance dose. The guidelines say to use the lowest dose that works for you.
Why are you having to increase your dose? If you think your omeprazole is no longer working, have you tried a different one like lansoprazole? Your GP should be able to write a different script. (30mg lansoprazole is equivalent to 20mg omeprazole.)
If you are still getting acid refluxing, it may be right to increase the dose, if that helps. However, is it the acid, burning, that's causing the problem (ie oesophagitis) or reflux (with symptoms such as cough)?

Reflux which should be managed by lifestyle modification or, if necessary, surgery.

PPIs reduce acid not reflux: they just make it less erosive.

I was on 80mg omeprazole for a few years until I had a fundoplication.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version