Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: Just discovered Post Reply Post New Topic
6hundred
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote 6hundred Replybullet Topic: Just discovered
    Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 7:04am
Hi all, I've recently discovered that i have Barrett's .
Undergoing further investigations, mainly because I'm struggling to breath deeply.because it feels like my upper stomach feels like it feels like its been  crushed ,does anybody else have this problem ?It makes me feel sick Dead.
I'm not over weight ,hardly drink and don't smoke.  
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 10:07am
> Undergoing further investigations, mainly because I'm struggling to
> breath deeply.because it feels like my upper stomach feels like it
> feels like its been  crushed ,does anybody else have this problem ?It
> makes me feel sick Dead.

As far as I am aware, Barrett's itself causes no sensations. But the
reflux that caused it is very uncomfortable. It can burn the vocal chords and get into the lungs to cause problems.

> I'm not over weight ,hardly drink and don't smoke.

Do you know what caused it?

Can't comment on your weight but from my own experience "over weight" is extremely personal. I was never medically overweight but when my weight went up above 70kG I had problems. I have a hiatus hernia and a small amount of visceral fat seems to displace by organs so the reflux gets bad. I also had other problems at the same time so I guess I'm lucky in having such a strong signal to control my weight to what is comfortable for me - not to what is medically considered over-weight!
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
BooBoo
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote BooBoo Replybullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 10:20am
Hi 6hundred, What ppi's are you on? I also had that feeling, at times I thought my stomach would either come out of my mouth or burst through my chest wall like an alien. Once I started taking medication it went away it took about 5 days though
IP IP Logged
Sech
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Sech Replybullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 8:22pm
Hey all,

Yes, its the struggling to breathe that is killing me. I was diagnosed with Barrett's in April and currently waiting to see what the consultants plans are. My symptoms are shortness of breath and recent problems with my vocal cords???. I also have to clear my throat more and more, especially after eating. My throat hurts also.

I was on medication but it made me gain weight so have came off that. Am really struggling and don't know what the plan of action will be. Does anyone know of operations/treatment etc, that can help ease the burning of my oesophagus and throat. I am so worried I will cause damage that is irreparable.

I'm not over weight either or a smoker but I do enjoy red wine now and again. Any advice greatly appreciated,

Sech x
IP IP Logged
swoodinleeds

Quote swoodinleeds Replybullet Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 3:08pm

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with Barrett's in August, and I am still waiting to see a consultant. I only found out from my discharge notes from the hospital as the team of doctors I was under were surgeons because I was admitted with suspected appendicitis - the level of pain I was in.

I was originally put on paracetamol, diclofenac (stupidly) and tramadol to ease the pain, and started on Lansoprazole after I was discharged 3 weeks later. My Lansoprazole was later doubled in dosage to twice a day to combat the acid reflux.

I didn't realise the seriousness of Barrett's until yesterday when, after a second cancelled hospital appointment, I managed to see my GP to work out what my discharge notes actually meant. He was furious that I hadn't seen a consultant yet!

As I'm new to this situation, I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm now in a situation where I'm trying to think back seeing if I can relate to symptoms (which is probably wrong) such as my need for an inhaler even though I don't have asthma, and a period of sickness a while ago where I couldn't eat for a week because I had such bad acid attack in my throat.

Do you have any tips to halt the progression of it, and is there anything I should be asking the consultant (when I eventually get to see one)?

Many Thanks,

Stuart

IP IP Logged
6hundred
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote 6hundred Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 6:41am
Just to add a bit more spice to my life I now have a stomach hernia 3ins below my rib cage, who says lifes boring lol, between the barretts and the hernia makes eating good fun.
My consultant has put me on Omeprazole 40mg a day Ive been on these for a month but I dont think they make any difference, time to go back again .
What other types of ppi are any of you on .

Missing a glass of red wine, no make that a bottle Cry Wink

Edited by 6hundred - 08 Dec 2010 at 7:30pm
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 8:24am
Hi 6hundred and welcome,

Many of us with Barrett's, also have hiatus hernia.
The top of the stomach has pushed up through the hiatus (the hole in the diaphragm the oesophagus passes through.
As I understand it, this can have occurred for many reasons at any stage of your life or even at birth. This stretching can then weaken the lower oesophageal sphincter permitting reflux into the oesophagus. Acid reflux attacks the oesophagus which can then develop Barrett;s in an attempt to protect itself.

Abdominal and chest pains are associated with the reflux. You should experience no pain from the Barrett's itself.

If Omeprazole isn't working, your doctor may try you on Lansoprazole or Patoprazole or Esomeprasole but they are all very similar. It may be you need a higher dosage. It can take a little time to get the meds right.
In the early days of my PPI treatment, I had oesopagitis which gave the most dreadful burning pain after eating or drinking anything (ordinary heartburn is nothing compared to it). It took a few weeks before I noticed the PPIs having an effect but eventually I was able to virtually ignore my Barrett's.

As far as diet goes, have you identified any particular triggers for yourself? We are all different and will be affected differently by different foods and drink. With me, I couldn't drink anything (and consequently didn't drin enough). I had to have something dry with a drink to help soak up the liquid to stop it rushing back up.
Unusually, I discovered the two things I could manage easiest were sparkling water and red wine -which are usually cited as "no-nos". Still water was the worst but to me the sparkling water felt "thinner" and it helped to release gas. And I found the red wine soothing. (And according to research red wine can help prevent Barrett's in the first place!)

All the best

Chris

Edited by chrisrob - 29 Oct 2010 at 8:24am
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 8:45am
Hi Stuart and welcome,

Few people know what Barrett's is before they are diagnosed with it and follow the same bewildering course as you in finding out more but you've come to the right place and there's usually someone here who can provide answers.

When presenting with chest pain, most doctors immediately suspect heart - which would account for the atenolol, however, diclofenac (as any anti-inflammatory), being acidic, will have made things worse.
Many reflux victims experience asthma like symptoms. I, too was put on inhalers etc without effect.

Hopefully you will see a GI consultant soon who will suggest all the standard lifestyle changes: don't smoke, cut down on alcohol, lose weight, watch your diet, avoid fatty foods, avoid acidic foods, eat fruit (but not citrus), eat smaller meals more frequently but ot for at least three hours before retiring, avoid exercise after eating, raise the bed head by eight inches.
Is your lansoprazole working? You may have the dose reviewed.

What to ask your consultant: find out as much about our own particular Barrett's as you can - how large, whether one area or fragmented. And is there any sign of dysplasia? If so, is it low grade or high grade.

You will be put on a surveillance schedule - probably being scoped every two or three years.
If there are signs of low grade dysplasia you may be scoped more frequently.
If there are signs of high grade dysplasia, your consultant will discuss surgical treatment or ablation therapy.

You may wish to ask about the possible progression of your Barrett's through those stages and the possible treatments.

But if there's anything we can help with, please ask.
We're not doctors but hopefully can help you from our own experiences.

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
6hundred
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote 6hundred Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 9:07pm
Thank you for the advice,
I had the epegastric hernia operation 2 weeks ago, I was hoping this would help with the feeling of my chest being crushed,Unhappy no different.
I have now been put onto esomeprazole 40mg,just have to wait and see what happens.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version