Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: Removal of Gall Bladder = now "drowning" in bile! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
bouncethruit
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote bouncethruit Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 3:36pm
StarDear RichardT

It's reassuring to see that somebody else is experiencing the same issues as I am and is prepared to address them in the same way.   I am especially wary of taking a large dose of Omeprazole because I personally experience hair loss with it, so something obviously is causing a reaction somewhere?

Also apparently I have read that bile production is kicked into action just simply by swallowing?

All I know is that I am hoping and praying my doc says its okay for a fundo, I am seeing him next week at UHW (Cardiff).  My oesophageous feels like its glowing and I am  now starting to experience pains in my upper gullet when I swallow.  I have to physically manipulate my LES to let liquids and solids go down into my stomach to digest... what a mess!

I am quite wary of medication and take what I find doesn't cause any adverse reaction.  I am especially scared of increasing the Barrett's, there doesn't appear to be any other way out of this (Motilium, although it may work for others, makes my tummy sore and also makes me grumpy and on edge.)

Its weird because I can eat spicy foods quite easily, however, it's the consumption of dairy products that cause the "lavalamp" effect!Wink  (all Hell literally breaks loose!)

This is so total fun ;-D,  I am presently existing on a diet of stir-fry, boiled basmati rice and salad Dead.  I can't wait for Christmas!!!

Keep the faith and thanks for the advice.
GfromWalesUK
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 4:43pm
> I am especially wary of taking a large dose of Omeprazole because I
> personally experience hair loss with it, so something obviously is causing a
> reaction somewhere?

I've seen a lot of side effects claimed - but not seen that one!

> Also apparently I have read that bile production is kicked into action just
> simply by swallowing?

Don't think so. But ask a professional. I don;t think there are any
professionals on these forums but I'd like to be told different!

> All I know is that I am hoping and praying my doc says its okay for a fundo,

That, to me, would seem extreme.

When I mentioned to Dr Fitzgerald that I had bile reflux - she said she could
arrange a fundoplication.

It's a serious operation - not without its own risks and I've also read that it
doesn't always work - but you can read anything on the www so that may not
mean much.

Why not try reduced doses of PPI more frequently: you have nothing to loose and
maybe a lot to gain.

> My oesophageous feels like its glowing and I am  now starting to experience
> pains in my upper gullet when I swallow.  I have to physically manipulate my
> LES to let liquids and solids go down into my stomach to digest... what a
> mess!

Yes - that does sound extreme. Could be extreme solutions are called for.

> Its weird because I can eat spicy foods quite easily, however, it's the
> consumption of dairy products that cause the "lavalamp" effect!

I found no foods that caused problems - well, one. A Polish cheese preserved
in oil. But I steer off high-fat foods in general. My general health is very
strongly related to my weight and I start to get bad just under 70kG: the main
problem then was bile. When under that weight, bile reflux is not too serious.

I put this down to visceral fat altering the geograghy of my innards and
opening the pyloric sphincter. I only found about the PPI induced bile after
losing the 5 critical kG.

> This is so total fun ;-D,  I am presently existing on a diet of stir-fry,
> boiled basmati rice and salad Dead.

Sounds OK to me! SWMBO and I both like salads: there are lots of tasty herbs
you can add to salads (see www site). We also have wild watercress available
near us! Olive oil as a dressing causes me no problems.

Good luck.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 12:29pm
Hi Richard,

Don't know why you are so dismissive of fundoplication. It does stop reflux which no drug regimen will, nor lifestyle changes.
Reflux need not be acid nor bile. It could be something as simple as a glass of water flowing back p the oesophagus and, if your upper oesophageal sphincter is damaged as well, can easily enter the lungs to cause damage.

I had the fundoplication operation 18 months ago.
Prior to the op, I was on 80 mg Omeprazole spread between am and pm doses. I had many of the possible side effects listed - mainly anaemia from lack of iron absorption (due to induced hypochlorhydria) causing extreme fatigue - I couldn't walk more than 50 yards.

The operation took 90 minutes and I was home the next day. Negligible pain - just some bruising managed by soluble paracetamol. And 5 sticking plasters covering the keyhole wounds.
BUT I felt alive again. Within a few days, I was walking round the block. After a couple of weeks back on my bike. Now I cycle every morning before breakfast upto 30 miles and I've been totally drug free since the op.

Chris
IP IP Logged
Acadian

Quote Acadian Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 2:23pm
Hi Chris,

Does the Fundo Op prevent the Barrett's from coming Back?  Since you stopped all PPI's....

Acadian
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 3:03pm
Hi Acadian,

The fundo just stops reflux. It doesn't cure Barrett's - I still have it. BUT I don't need to suppress stomach acid as it's no longer affecting my oesophagus.
Hopefully my Barrett's won't get worse - why should it? - and there's a slight chance it could even slowly heal itself.

Chris
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 3:05pm
The correct way is to get rid of ALL barrettes then do the fundo because it's harder to ablate once you had a fundo .I didn't do that BUT the doctor said he got it all.You hope and pray the fundo works then it could be better then normal OR you will still gets barettes again..

FUNDO, HGD JEFF

Edited by jcombs99 - 19 Oct 2010 at 3:05pm
IP IP Logged
bouncethruit
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bouncethruit Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 3:59pm
Hi Everyone!

Its interesting to read of your experiences and opinions, I am really grateful for this feedback.Lamp 

I'm in so much discomfort with the Barettes at the moment, my quality of life is pretty zilch.  My voice is now quite altered by stuff on my vocal chords and I have started coughing.  I am practically sitting up when I am in bed and having to sleep in this position because my lungs are becoming affected.

My Barrettes started up because of my Gall Bladder removal, I think something healed up internally at the operation site which resulted in a "repositioning" of my oesophagus.  My Barrettes followed.  It feels like i'm being internally eroded by salt water.  I think that the Oesphagus has got to be put in a "healthier" or at least, a more normal position and then hopefully it will stand a chance of healing itself.

I wonder how many other people there are out there are in this same situation like meThumbs%20Up
GfromWalesUK
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 4:03pm
Hi G,

Your gall problems and your Barrett's were probably developing simultaneously. I personally found my cholecystectomy had no effect on my reflux - but I had already had the fundoplication.
Your discomfort is from the reflux - be it acid, bile or just mucus or even water.
I do sympathise greatly as the cough was my worst symptom. I used to sit up coughing for two hours at a time in the early hours of the morning: coughing until I practically passed out. I drank copious amounts of pholcodine linctus cough suppressant and sucked Hall's cough sweets - anything to attempt to nullify the cough reflex - but then, again, it collects in the lung and has to be coughed up sometime!
Your reflux is because of the weal oesophageal sphincters - both lower and upper - rather than a possible misalignment of the oesophagus.
Although Barrett's can in some cases, heal itself, it's actually quite uncommon. If can stop acids refluxing into the oesophagus, however, it stands a better chance of not developing further. However, your PPIs will be reducing the acid but not the reflux. There aren't any effective drugs for this - just gravity or an operation.

Chris
IP IP Logged
bouncethruit
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bouncethruit Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 7:56am
Hi ChrisBig%20smile

I have been reading on the net how so many have high regard for the use of combined PPI's,  I am now experimenting by taking a lower doseage rate of Omeprazole, but not of Ranitidine I don't like the side effects of these pillsEmbarrassed!!! 
Just lets leave it at not very ladylike

I am afraid of taking anything orally for the pain (it feels like an inflamed, itchy feeling inside)  in case it inflames anything more.  I don't like the feeling of being out of control or woozy.

I had a sad experience earlier this year when someone I worked with(who also had Barrett's), actually developed a tumour... 

This has considerably freaked me out to say the leastUnhappy 
GfromWalesUK
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 8:06am
Dear G,

If you are feeling the pains in your oesophagus you describe, oesophagitis, you do really need to combat any acid that is causing it. You may find you have to increase your PPIs rather than decrease them.
But you're right not to take pain killers for it as they can actually make it worse.

Chris
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version