Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: Removal of Gall Bladder = now "drowning" in bile! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
bouncethruit
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote bouncethruit Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 8:15am
ConfusedThanks for that Chris

I am seeing doc at hospital tomorrow. 

I will mention this because discomfort it pretty unbearable at times

Will keep everyone posted.  Keeping the faith!
GfromWalesUK
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 11:17am
B
   Painkillers are very bad for your GI tract ..Every few weeks I get a email from ACG and they will have studies from doctors on the latest things on the GI tract . There is one on pain killers and what they do to you . The man across the street has them ALL,infection, barrettes ,nodules,colon polys, BLEEDING thats how they found the mess .
EVERYONE GO online and sign up it's free.
WWW.acg.gi.org
MAKE SURE YOU TELL THE DOCTOR ABOUT YOUR LOWER DOSE PPI'S AND LETS SEE WHAT THE DOCTOR SAYS......

HGD JEFF

Edited by jcombs99 - 21 Oct 2010 at 1:28pm
IP IP Logged
Sech
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Sech Replybullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 8:37pm
Hey Chris,

I was interested to read about the surgery you had? Could you tell me what this was? I was diagnosed with Barrett's in April and struggle with breathing, poor vocal cords and sore throats. I had to come off the meds as they made me gain weight. This was another hassle I could have did without :(.

They think I need my Gall Bladder out too, so things seem a bit up in the air. My consultant is seeing me in Dec so I am hopeful they will have a solid plan of treatment for me.

I am petrified my vocal cords will be permanently damaged and that I eventually get the big horrid C...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated from all,

Thank you,
Sech! xxx
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 8:55pm
sech
Was there any Dysplasia in thats barrettes?

Have a nice day
HGD JEFF
IP IP Logged
Sech
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Sech Replybullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 10:26pm
Hey Jeff,

I received a 24hr PH study (tube down the nose and throat)...the results of that were "pathological reflux" with de meester scoring of 19.1. also- a biopsy on my oeosphagael came up with Barrets on my "distal oesphagael".

Dysplasia sounds familiar but I don't know if that is because I have been reading these posts now.

Why? My days almost over here is freezing Glasgow :( Hope you have a good day,
Sech x
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 10:37pm
S
   The stages go 1) barrettes 2) low grade Dysplasia 3) High grade Dysplasia (had that) 4)cancer .Then they stage the cancer..My Demmesster score was 30 off ppis very high, 1.1 on ppis very low.
Take a look at the test this is important.

HGD JEFF
IP IP Logged
Sech
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Sech Replybullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 10:46pm
Hey Jeff, I have looked out my results and there are no mentions in either of Dysplasia...is that good then?

My symptoms really just started last winter so this is all relatively new to me. I stopped the meds in Sept (was taking them from April) and since stopping them my throat hurts and my voice is changing and seems very weak....its really scary how quick this has happened.

I am seeing my consultant in Dec so hoping he will suggest some positive treatments. Do you know what types of treatment/operations other than meds are avaialble? My GP is not very helpful sstating I need to wait to speak with the consultant but it is months and months between appointments...so much for the NHS!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your problems      How are you feeling now? Are you on the mend???

Best wishes,
Sech x
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 10:57pm
S
VERY good NO DYSPLASIA...Did you take the ph test while you where on ppis or did you stop for 7 days before you did the test????

J
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 11:00pm
Hi Sech, Welcome,

I had a fundoplication in April 2009 - where they wrap the top of the stomach round the bottom of the oesophagus to strengthen the ineffective lower oesophageal sphincter to prevent reflux.

Prior to that, I had been on 80mg Omeprazole a day. My DeMeester score was something like 179!
I hadn't been overweight (until a sustained period of inactivity occasioned by anaemia - a side effect of prolonged high dosage Omeprazole), I don't smoke, consume very little alcohol and followed all the other "lifestyle" advice. But my reflux had, like yours, attacked my upper oesophageal sphincter, too, permitting refluxed matter to enter my lungs. I'd asked my GP at one stage to send me for chest x-rays as I was convinced there was radical damage.

I had to have my gall bladder out in October last year. Although I'd had nearly six months without reflux by then, the damage had already been done. (Richard T will say it was because of the omeprazole - my jury's still out.)

You would have been told if you had dysplasia. If they found high grade dysplasia, they will be talking to you about frequent surveillance, rather than every two or three years, and talking with you about the possibilities of surgical intervention to ablate the Barrett's.

It can be bewildering when first diagnosed to get to grips with everything. Hopefully you will find most of the answers by trawling this site, but please feel free to ask any questions, there's usually a few of us who have had the same experiences who may be able to help.

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
Sech
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Sech Replybullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 11:00pm
I stopped for 14 days before the PH study...that was one nasty test!!!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version