Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: Results! Post Reply Post New Topic
Samanthasue
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote Samanthasue Replybullet Topic: Results!
    Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 11:18pm
Hi there,
I feel so much better knowing what's going on. I do have Barrett's - with no dysplasia and not much of it. Those are the words she used but I think that means short segment. The report said:
- gastric type mucosa with mild chronic and active inflammation and reactive epithelial changes
-intestinal metaplasia present
-esophageal squamous epithelium not identified.
- two irregular grey soft fragments 0.2 to 0.2.

The doctor wasn't the least bit concerned, ordered an endoscopy in 3 years and wants to see me in a year to see how I'm doing. She sited some studies using the 20 year mark, where very few people ever developed cancer and said that she'll keep up a surveillance schedule and the moment, if ever, they see dysplasia, she'll take action.

I liked the doctor a lot but the appt. was a bit weird. She started off by saying that I had a perfect colon :) and that I should slowly start introducing acidic foods and hopefully she can put me on the lowest dose of the PPI I'm on. I said, "I thought you were concerned about Barrett's." She said that she hadn't got the results of the biopsies but didn't think I had Barrett's. Then, her secretary knocked at the door and handed her a sheet of paper with biopsy result. The doctor looked at them and said, "Oh, you do have Barrett's."

Sheesh!!!!

But I feel so much better now that I know. By the way, I asked her if Barrett's can ever disappear and she said, "Yes." She said that she's seen it disappear with several patients and she said that they don't believe it the first year but several have had more scopes and it's completely gone.

She wasn't the least concerned at all and if I hadn't read anything about Barrett's, I would have left the office not concerned in the least.

Just wondering what everyone eats. I don't drink or smoke and for 3 months have stopped all caffeine and decaf, chocolate, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. I kinda miss decaf green tea and pasta with tomato sauce. Does anyone try eating some of this or is it wise to stay away completely?

THANKS FOR LISTENING.
Sue
IP IP Logged
headyheady
Groupie
Groupie

Quote headyheady Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 5:00pm
Hi Sue
I eat pasta with tomato sauce - it doesn't seem to have much effect.  However I stay away from chocolate and coffee.  Maybe I should give it up too.
IP IP Logged
Dints
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dints Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 3:57pm
Hola, just one quick question for anyone and everyone to answer please.

Alot of people say and do cut out chocolate once they have barretts, but why ?

Is It because chocolate is an irritant to people with barretts or because its fattening as other people on here have said loosing weight will help and eating alot of chocolate people do put on weight ?

Any and all answers will welcome.

Thanks.
Love"n"hugs. Dints. x
IP IP Logged
Samanthasue
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Samanthasue Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 4:16pm
Hi Dints,

My doctor told me not to have chocolate or mint because it relaxes the LES (Lower Esophageal Sphincter)and will allow acid up into one's esophagus. Drinking, smoking, onions, garlic, tomatoes and caffeine as well as decaf can also irritate the esophagus. Of course, losing weight is suggested so as not to create any pressure on the abdomen. Since we're all different, some foods will bother some and not others. But mint and chocolate seem to be the biggest on the list for relaxing the LES.

A lot to learn, huh! I've been without chocolate for 4 months and I'm a chocolate-a-holic. :)

Good luck with it all.
Sue
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 5:10pm
Chocolate is a high in fatty acid - mostly stearic acid, some palmitic. At least - that's from the cocoa bean. Fatty acids around this level include oils found in coconut, peanut, palm oil and olive oil. All healthy 'fats'.

The unhealthy bit may be the milk fats etc added to many chocolates. Dark chocolate is generally reckoned to be healthy.

Problem is that there is so much myth in nutrition and so very few hard facts. I find dark chocolate to be no problem.

Onions, garlic, tomatoes ae high on the healthy foods list - I'm surprised they are discommended! I'd like some facts on that - rather than opinion.

Mint is widely used as an antacid: most common antacids are mint flavoured.

Edited by RichardT - 23 Oct 2010 at 5:11pm
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
Dints
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dints Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 9:55pm
Thanks richard.   Thanks sam, for the info, anymore would be welcome.

For myself I have been trying to cut down on my chocolate intake but up untill lastnight i have had nothing bad happen. i ate half a box of cadbury heroes about half hour before i went to bed and woke abit later chokeing as it all had come back up.
Not getting into to much detail about that but im sure you can guess what it was like.
I was sick for a good hour or two and im in no rush for that to happen again as that was the first time anything like that has happened to me while ive been asleep and it scared me so i do not want a repeat performance. 

i just wanted to know why chocolate was bad, luckily i dont like onions, tomatoes, but i do drink about 6/7 cups of decaf coffee a day. I dont drink alcohol anymore (the first 100 days tomorrow) so thats why ive been drinking coffee.
so now it looks like iwill give up chocolate now. damm ! i will have to tell people i no longer want selection boxes for christmas.

Thanks. Damian. x

Love"n"hugs. Dints. x
IP IP Logged
Samanthasue
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Samanthasue Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 10:52pm
Hey, Damian,

I was told to wait three hours after I ate before lying down, and I sleep on a wedge pillow as well. Maybe you went to bed too early after eating which might have caused a lot of the problem.

Good luck with it all.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 8:18am
Hi Damian,

I think Samanthasue has probably provided the best answer. Although we are told certain foods are more likely to cause problems, the effects vary between people and many find they can tolerate what others can't. It's really up to each of us to find out what works for us. Keep a food diary. If you find you always have a bad reaction to chocolate, then cut it out but if this is the only time it's happened, it's more likely you're reclining so soon after eating would be the cause.

According to much of the reading I've done, tomatoes are meant to be worse than chocolate. However, I guess I was relatively "lucky" inasmuch as I could tolerate most of the "banned" foods (apart from pastry, pasta, white bread and "dry" foods that stuck in the gullet) but reclining or cramping the stomach was the main instigator of reflux.

Chris
Chris
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 8:35am
Damian said:

> For myself I have been trying to cut down on my
> chocolate intake but up untill lastnight i have
> had nothing bad happen. i ate half a box of
> cadbury heroes about half hour before i went to bed
> and woke abit later chokeing as it all had come back
> up.

A Google for - Chocolate reflux - my prove ineresting.

Chocolate itself is a healthy food. The sugar and milk fats added to milk
chocolate are not.

I always have preferred dark chocolate: guess I'm lucky! But you may find you can eat chocolate if you migrate to the dark stuff.

It is very much a matter of re-educating yourself to like healthy foods: that can be a long, slow process.

Edited by RichardT - 24 Oct 2010 at 9:32am
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 8:51am
> I was told to wait three hours after I ate before lying down, and I
> sleep on a wedge pillow as well. Maybe you went to bed too early
> after eating which might have caused a lot of the problem.

I suspect that is hope speaking: you hope it is that so you can
contuinue eating sugary, over-sweet, fattening milk chocolate.

It is certain that being over-weight is a major cause of reflux. I'm lucky in that respect for I have a quite sudden onset of general bad health (cholesterol balance, kidney fuction, reflux) if my weight goes over 70kg. A very strong impetus to keep mty weight in check. I'm also fortunate in not liking over-sweet foods and in liking healthy foods.
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version