Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: a diet good for reducing acid Post Reply Post New Topic
alan84

Online Status: Offline
Quote alan84 Replybullet Topic: a diet good for reducing acid
    Posted: 01†Sep†2010 at 2:39pm
Hi,

I was first diagnosed with barretts when I 17 although I had problems with it much younger than that. I'm 25 now and I get regular endoscopes and have even had an operation to help reduce acid.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has any good tips for food stuffs that help reduce acid. Oddly I have never had heartburn the biggest symptom of my barretts is the difficulty in swallowing. I can sometimes gag or feel a choking like sensation which if it happens in public is obviously upsetting. Made my teenage years more of a nightmare.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 03†Sep†2010 at 10:43am
Hi Alan and welcome,

The cellular changes with Barrett's probably occur as a defence mechanism to protect the oesophagus which may be why you don't feel the burning associated with acid reflux.

This website heartburn.about.com has some advice about suitable foods.
In general, most fruit is good (except citrus fruits and tomatoes). For example, pineapple can be good as it is a natural source of bromelain which can aid digestive disorders. (My breakfast is a bowl of rice crispies (low calorie, low gluten, mineral fortification) with diced pineapple (bromelain) and a Muller vanilla yoghurt drink (pro- and pre- biotic and omega 3) poured over instead of milk.)

But different foods work for different people. BSN Wessex has recently produced a book of recipes, entitled "Cool Food", that have been found to work for its contributors. (£5 plus p&P. email enquiries@bsnwessex.org.uk if you want a copy.)

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
Suzy

Quote Suzy Replybullet Posted: 06†Sep†2010 at 12:27pm
Hi Chris

I'd very much like a copy of the Cool Food recipe book but my email to the address you have provided has come back from systems administrator saying that email account does not exist. Is there an error somewhere?

Suzy
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 06†Sep†2010 at 6:14pm
Hi Suzy,

Sorry about that. I'm investigating it presently. Meanwhile, if you send me your details, postal and email address to barretts@chrisrob.co.uk, I'll get one sent to you.

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
Suzy

Quote Suzy Replybullet Posted: 27†Oct†2010 at 9:33pm
Hi Chris

Just to say thank you for the sending the Cool Food recipe book. It has arrived and I am working my way through it. For anyone who hasn't ordered a copy I recommend it! Recipes are quick and easy to follow and ... it is for a good cause!! Blueberry Pecan Crumble absolutely delicious

Thanks to Glynis Parratt for putting the recipes together and to you Chris for printing and collating, all time consuming I know but much appreciated. Thank you.

Suzy

IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 28†Oct†2010 at 11:56am
Glad you're enjoying it, Suzy.

Aldo Zilli, the celebrity Italian chef, has written this extra foreward for the cook book:

The recipes in this book are not only delicious but have been thoroughly thought out
to help reduce the acids that can potentially cause Oesophageal Adenocarcinoma.

Having a history of this condition in my family I am delighted to see the positive steps being taken by Southampton hospital.
High praise is also due to the author and her creative taste buds.

Aldo Zilli.

I have just taken delivery of a new printer and will get more copies rolling off the production line imminently for anyone else who wishes to place an order.

Please email barretts@chrisrob.co.uk for more info or to place an order.

Chris
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version