Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Barretts without heartburn Post Reply Post New Topic
adambr

Online Status: Offline
Quote adambr Replybullet Topic: Barretts without heartburn
    Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 3:51pm
I was diagnosed with Barrett's a few months ago but have never had any noticeable heartburn until I experienced a severe pain across the liver area for around a month which eventually extended to the stomach area. The lack of reaction to certain foods makes it rather difficult to avoid the triggers for  reflux. Has anyone else been diagnosed with this without having had heartburn and, if so, how did you react to reduce reflex? Adam

Edited by adambr - 08 Aug 2010 at 4:03pm
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 4:16pm
Hello Adam and welcome.

Reflux without feeling heartburn is often referred to as "silent reflux". You have been spared the pain of the burning but the refluxing acid has still attacked your oesophagus causing the Barrett's.

You may try reducing the acid, reducing the reflux or both.
If you have been prescribed a PPI drug (Omeprazole or another ending in -zole), it will reduce your stomach acid.

Advice is to avoid acid triggers which include coffee, alcohol, spicy food. Eat small meals sitting up straight and not within 3 hours of going to bed. Do no exercise or bending after eating.

Fruit is generally good but nit citrus fruits.

If you are overweight, lose weight and if you smoke try to stop.

Hope that doesn't sound too dispiriting.
A few lifestyle changes now can help and regular monitoring will ensure it doesn't get worse.

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
adambr

Quote adambr Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 8:21pm
Thanks very much for your help. I was prescribed Omeprazole. Do you know if Barrett's can heal itself if you stop the reflux? Adam
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 9:37pm
Although not common, it has been known for Barrett's to heal itself once the acid reflux has been stopped.

Regular 2 yearly surveillance will keep an eye on its progress.

Chris
IP IP Logged
AndyR

Quote AndyR Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 5:55pm
Hi Adam,

My situation was similar to yours, in that it was not heartburn that led me to the doctor it was bloating and discomfort. I didn't really get heartburn all that often, or so I thought. I have been diagnosed for over a year now and been on 20mg of omeprazole daily. I can honestly say that I almost never get heartburn now and that has made me realize that I actually had it quite frequently before. I guess i must have been used to it and it some how seemed normal. It is only now that I can eat the foods that would give me indigestion before and not have to carry antacids around with me that I have realized this.

I know that experiences are different but thought it would be interesting to share mine with you.

Hope this helps.

Andy
IP IP Logged
adambr

Quote adambr Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 8:22pm
It's very useful to hear other peoples' experiences - thanks very much. In my case, I have only used antacid tablets twice in my life. I have to say though, I am now regularly aware of general chest and stomach discomfort most of the time despite taking 20mg of Omeprazole each day. The hardest part is not eating for three hours before bedtime - sometimes after a hard day at work I just skip eating because I can't bear the thought of sitting up for another three hours when so tired.
IP IP Logged
mahon

Quote mahon Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 10:17am
I was diagnosed with Barretts eight years ago. I am on 30mg of Lanzoprazole and very rarely have reflux sypmtoms, such as heartburn. But despite this, my Barretts has grown from short segment to long segment, so maybe there was 'silent reflux.' and I didn't know. 
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version