Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: PH testing Post Reply Post New Topic
XrugbygurlX

Online Status: Offline
Quote XrugbygurlX Replybullet Topic: PH testing
    Posted: 22†Apr†2010 at 12:52pm
 Hey - i was just wondering what experiences people have had with the 24/48 hour PH monitoring

i was put on a list for the test about 9 months ago - still waiting!! apparently there's trouble with the new equipment so the list has backed up.. GGrrr!!

Has anyone had the Bravo?! (the wireless capsule one?!) i think they're quite new but it sounds much more appealing than having a tube running from the reveiver to the probe.

anyways, was just wondering how people have found the test, initially i was freaking out about having to have it put down my nose... does it hurt?

Rachel
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 22†Apr†2010 at 1:16pm
Hi Rachel,

I had the 24 hr ph manometry 11th July 2007. I tried to find the page reference to post but testing it it gave me the wrong thing, so I've retrieved my experiences which I'm reposting here:

"Sitting here, wearing my recorder linked to a wire coming out of my nose and with raging heartburn.

I started the oesophageal manometry this morning. Using the same anaesthetising spray they use on the throat for gastroscopy, the nurse sprayed up my nose. It burned as it hit the back of the nose, and when it hit the throat it made me want to swallow repeatedly. Then the tube was pushed through. Uncomfortable but not painful. Lying down, the initial test took 20 minutes with the nurse moving the tube a centimetre at a time and feeding me teaspoonfuls of water to swallow. I was glad when it was over. Then it was removed and the wire inserted. It is fairly stiff so no opportunity to lay it neatly against the skin; it is visibly obvious to others and is in my field of view, too - and gets knocked by the tumbler or mug if I drink. The recorder is the size of a personal CD player and hangs by a shoulder strap around my neck. When I said I didnít know how Iíd sleep with it, I was told that others have managed it ok. (Hope I do: Iíve had to sit up during the night in the last couple of days whilst Iíve been off my ppi.) Iím getting used to it, though every time I swallow, it feels like I have a sore throat and my nose feels like Iíve got a cold. The worst part is not being permitted to take any sort of antacid medication.

There are three switches on the device. I have to move one whenever I start and stop eating (though not when drinking), another to indicate when I lie down or stand (or sit) up and an ďeventĒ button to press whenever I experience unpleasant symptoms like excessive heartburn, reflux or coughing. There is also a record sheet on which I record these events. (How do I record continual burning? Ė repeated pressing of the button?)

Roll on tomorrow when it comes out and I can go back on my omeprazole. I just hope this test will help my doctor understand the peculiarities of my manifestation of the condition.

I have told it like it is, warts and all. I was dreading it but didnít want my wife to see that so appeared to approach it with stoicism - but itís not something to get worried about. I have day-to-day contact with others who have to go through things considerably worse. Iím sure after itís over, Iíll forget all about it."

Chris

P.S. It really wasn't too bad, looking back on it. Far less discomfort than having an endoscopy!

I don't know enough about the Bravo capsule - how they position it correctly. The tube out of the nose isn't sightly but not too bad. The most uncomfortable bit was probably getting it positioned correctly.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 22†Apr†2010 at 3:26pm
X
   That's a great test . I had (3) 24 hr ph tests and (2) 48 hr bravo tests. You really need 2 one on drugs one off or JUST do it on drugs and it will tell you IF they work .EAT all the foods you normally eat then it will tell if they borther you . I drank 40 oz. of coffee and the meter was 7 ph (normal).. Whats gets me is STRESS ,I was thinkin about someone I don't like and it went down to 2 ph .Play with it and it will help you. Drink a glass of water and watch the meter. Very helpfull tool.
You stated their haveing problems with the NEW equipment MAYBE they don't know how to use it ...

Take care HGD JEFF

Edited by jcombs99 - 22†Apr†2010 at 4:09pm
IP IP Logged
BooBoo

Quote BooBoo Replybullet Posted: 23†Apr†2010 at 7:46am
Hi, I was just wondering how you go about getting PH monitoring (through gp or hospital consultant) I take between 40 and 80mg of omeprazole daily and they still don't work. I haven't got a consultant and my GP admits he knows nothing about Barretts
IP IP Logged
RodrigoR

Quote RodrigoR Replybullet Posted: 28†Apr†2010 at 4:01am
Hi Rachel, hi everyone
I had my manometry and 24 hs PH test last year. In spite of being a quick test (20 minutes),  I found manometry more discomfortable than 24 hs PH test.

I had to be put off PPIīs one week before the test. My test was not  discomfortable, only when I swallowed solid food I felt a slight discomfort on the throat. I could see the level of 0.2 PH for several minutes on the display, mostly when I laid myself down. The results of my test were 111 occurences of acid reflux in 24hs (severe reflux).

Rachel, go ahead with your test, I wish you good luck...itīs not as bad as it looks.

Best regards,

Rodrigo
P.S. Sorry for my bad English...my Portuguese is better.

IP IP Logged
XrugbygurlX

Quote XrugbygurlX Replybullet Posted: 23†Sep†2010 at 12:46pm
thanks guys. i did go ahead with it, it wasnt particularly nice (lol)

I didnt have the BRAVO.. i had one of the old school wired ones..
The manometry wasnt too nice... they figured out that the nostril they were trying to get it in is obstructed by cartlidge (ive broken my nose twice!) so that wasnt the most comfortable of experiences haha...
i was off my PPI's for a week before as well.... which i dont really see the point in?!

but it was kinda fun watching the numbers!!! hahaha (i'm easily amused!) ;)
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 23†Sep†2010 at 1:00pm
X
   Now go back and take the test on ppi's which is normal for you now . That's the deal with NHS they have no money just like the state hospitals here . All the private ones here and by you I betsha have the bravo test.That's why I think it will be many years before you get HALO machines even though they know they work very well. I think NHS would cut your E out if they could save $5 over the halo.
That's the deal someone has to teach them how to save money and give great health care .I wasted 9 days with my (2) 24 hr ph tests . Well the way to do it when you go for your yearly EGD have them do a bravo test also . They called me a week later 1.1 demesster score and faxed it to me ..People have better things to do then waiting for the doctor to show up 2 hrs late as usual..

KEEP TRYING, HGD JEFF

Edited by jcombs99 - 23†Sep†2010 at 1:30pm
IP IP Logged
Gigi
Unrecognised
Unrecognised

Quote Gigi Replybullet Posted: 26†Sep†2010 at 12:54pm

Well done for enduring the test.  I've got a mental image of people going about their normal work with a tube or wire hanging out of their nose!  Is this right? Hope it was worth it and you are at least more informed about what drives the acid up.

Take care. 
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version