Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: New member Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Paul Bonetti

Online Status: Offline
Quote Paul Bonetti Replybullet Topic: New member
    Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 3:54pm
Hello. My name is Paul and my wife Karen has recently been diagnosed with Barretts Oesophagus. Is it normal for Karen to feel really tired and depressed? We are only begining to learn about this condition and are very keen to educate ourselves as much as possible. It is great to find a site that offers so much support. Thank you.

Paul and Karen.
IP IP Logged
LazyLout

Quote LazyLout Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 4:54pm
Welcome to the forum Paul & Karen I hope you find it informative and supportive.

I can only speak for myself in saying that fatigue and depression affect me. Only the experts can say whether there is a connection or not (I am still a newbie.)

Lazy
IP IP Logged
Richard M

Quote Richard M Replybullet Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 10:58pm
Welcome to the Forum Paul. I hope you will find it as helpful (and friendly) as I have done.

Is Karen taking prescribed medication for her condition? If she is then this may be relevant.

I've been on a course of Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) to try and control my Barrett's since it was diagnosed about a year ago. I have felt very tired since taking this course of medication. This treatment seems to work well for some people - but not for everyone as you will read on the Forum pages. I think I had Barrett's for about 4 - 5 years before it was diagnosed. I cannot say that my tiredness started then. I cannot say if I am depressed or not. My wife just says that I am grumpy.

You will find there is really quite a lot of medical information about Barrett's readily available on the internet. If you get stuck I'm sure a request to the Forum will result in several recommended sites. One of the ways in which the Forum excells (in my view) is dealing with non-clinical issues associated with the condition - how we actually feel about having Barrett's. And probably issues that are not always easily discussed with doctors.  I had never heard of Barrett's until I was told I'd got the condition by a consultant. There seemed to be an assumption that I knew what it was. A quick trawl with a search engine gave me a reasonable understanding of Barrett's - and importantly the chance to put half-sensible questions to medical advisers later on.

I hope you soon find some answers - and something to help Karen.

Best wishes

Richard

IP IP Logged
Paul Bonetti

Quote Paul Bonetti Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 2:40pm
Thank you Lazy and Richard for your reply.

Karen is currently taking medication called Omeprazole. She does not think that it is working for her and continues to feel discomfort. With the discomfort comes frustration, fatigue and stress.

Karen also has been diagnosed with Anaemia and I was wondering if this has anything to do with her condition.

Paul.

IP IP Logged
Richard M

Quote Richard M Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 8:35pm
Paul/Karen

I was initially prescribed this drug too. I didn't think it was particularly efficaceous for me. I was then prescribed alternative PPIs to see if they were any better.

I took Lansaprazole and I'm now on Pantoprazole. None of them have been totally  effective for me. I am now "topped up" with Ranitidine at night - although even with this I can still suffer reflux/heartburn. The key for me is to allow a minimum of 4 hours between eating and going to bed. And that's with a raised bed head as well.

You may want to ask your GP to let you try a different PPI. I gather this works for some.

I should add at this point (I'm sure its obvious anyway) that I'm not medically qualified. I have read that PPIs can cause a predisposition to anaemia. I was concerned that I might be anaemic and had a blood test to check. I wasn't - but I was getting there.

I am pretty sure that the PPI medication is sapping my energy. Given that the drug regime isn't 100% reliable in terms of treating my symptoms and leaves me with unpleasant side effects I'm likely to elect for surgery. I'm also uneasy about long term drug therapy. I'm seeing the surgeon next week to discuss a fundoplication.

This is all a very personal decision for each of us of course. We will all have different considerations. Nothing is risk free or 100% guaranteed. The great thing about the Forum is that you can get many views to help you in your understanding of this condition.

Best wishes

Richard
IP IP Logged
Siobhan

Quote Siobhan Replybullet Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 8:49am
Hi Paul

Please pass on my best wishes to Karen. I was on Omeprazole too prior to having my surgery in March. I did find that I was very tired indeed which was unusual for me. Like Richard I am not a doctor by any stretch of the imagination! I do suspect though that the way that the drug works in inhibiting acids means that it could affect how well we absorb vits, minerals etc. from our food. I guess that also affects mood as we ladies can have a challenge at any rate in trying to keep our hormones etc in balance. I do feel that it affected my mood and it is only since having my surgery that I actually realise how ill I think I felt before. I'd be more than happy to share my experiences with Karen in any way that would help her. I am having a few problems with my email notifications from the site at the moment (the problem is with my email provider rather than this site) and so I will pop on line once every couple of days.

Do wish her the best of luck. It can be a scary time and it is great that you are being so supportive!
Siobhan
IP IP Logged
Paul Bonetti

Quote Paul Bonetti Replybullet Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 12:23pm

Thank you Siobhan and Richard. Karen is going for a colonoscopy on Monday and is feeling a little anxious. Your views have been very helpful and given Karen much needed hope. 

Paul and Karen.

IP IP Logged
LazyLout

Quote LazyLout Replybullet Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 6:40pm
Hi Paul,

You seem to be getting plenty of good advice I hope you find it helpful to you and Karen.

I fully endorse Richard's statement "nothing is risk free or 100% guaranteed" and with this in mind I would add that you and Karen should not rush into anything. Take your time and seek as much advice as possible.

While Siobhan appears to be recovering well from her successful fundoplication (I think the success rate is 85%) I am back onto 80mg Omeprazole per day and that is only 2 years after my fundoplication. Having said that the first 2 years after the op. were brilliant......no PPI's and eating everything.......and I have no regrets.

Good luck to Karen for Monday.
Lazy.

IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 4:35pm
Paul
   IF you can wait a couple of years they will have more data on LINX, TIF .I had a fundo which they have been doing since 1955 with a 95% sucess but mine last maybe weeks not 10 or so years like they should .IF you ever throw up it could be time for a redo and only works 85% of the time . I'm on 60 mg preacvid for now , very sick playing with this but I had high grade .

scope in 2weeks take care HGD JEFF
IP IP Logged
RonMac
Groupie
Groupie

Quote RonMac Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 9:41am
Hi,

I found the Omezaprole to heavy, as with the Lanzapropol at 30mg.

For me, my Barret's tells me with a burning pain, when I need to take the Lanzopropole at 15mg.  A few days later and I recognize the relief.

In my case I am sure that Dairy products stimulate the Barret's, especially Milk, so since avoiding Milk and cutting Dairy products down, my Barret's is under control.

Problem for me, is that it can be up to two weeks from say taking Milk/Buttery things before the symptoms start.  Equally, changing the diet can take up to two weeks to witness any beneficial effect. 

As I said, this works for me, (so far)  and once I found the solution(?)  I have stuck to it.

Funny, my Consultant Gastro man,  made the point that we do change every 7-10 years, and what may not be an issue last year can this year be  a problem.  He suggsted over a year ago, that I try cutting Lactose down,  just as an option, and when I got round to trying it, I noticed a positive effect in about two weeks.

I am a great believer in Occams Razor,  that which may be obvious may actually be the truth!  

I expect after a hot curry, my Barrets to burn like Hades itself.  So, that is an obvious cause and effect, so I look no further and reach for Gaviscon and Lanzopropole for a week or two! 

My own fault! 

No hidden sinister causes,  just me being daft!  Clever is NOT taking hot curries!

Hope this helps, 

RonMac
Scotland
RonMac
Scotland

To do is to be--Neitzche
To be is to do--Descartes
Do be Do be Do--Sinatra
To Be is to Burp........Reflux
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic