Message Icon Topic: Cured of Barretts by PPI´s Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
RodrigoR
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote RodrigoR Replybullet Topic: Cured of Barretts by PPI´s
    Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 7:47pm
Dear colleagues, (specially ChrisRob and JCombs)

After a while without writting in this precious Forum, let me tell you that, after being under PPI`s for 8 months (Nexium 40mg a day), my scope last week showed that there is no Barretts anymore. The biopse showed that the Barretts were replaced by gastric metaplasia (stomach cells instead of intestinal cells). My gastro told me that my esophagus´ lining has reverted the process, where the cells has changed back to stomach cells due to the acid reduction by PPI. He asked me to keep the surveillance and diet, scope every year, in order to see if things keep going well.

I know that it´s not likely, actually it´s very rare, but I am very surprised and happy obviously.

Is there any other cases like this?

PS. My Barretts were very very short (tongue was 2 milimeters long)

Best regards,

Rodrigo Ribeiro
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Edited by RodrigoR - 05 Apr 2010 at 7:54pm
IP IP Logged
LazyLout

Quote LazyLout Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 9:11pm
I am really pleased to hear your good news and I am sure you are even more pleased. Lets hope your annual scopes keeps bringing you good news.

I too would be interested to hear from anyone who has experienced such a reversal.

Good luck RodriqoR and keep us all posted.

Lucky.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 10:25pm
Great news, Rodrigo.

I have heard of this happening before and there was a woman on this forum a couple of years ago who it happened to.
Without the acid environment, the Barrett's doesn't thrive and can, as in your case, actually heal itself.

A year after my anti reflux op, I have a scope next week. I hope my result can be as positive as yours.

All the best,

Chris
IP IP Logged
Elaine

Quote Elaine Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 10:46am
 Thanks for posting this Rodrigo, gives other some hope with your fantastric news.

Good luck with your scope Chris . Elainex
IP IP Logged
RodrigoR
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote RodrigoR Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 6:33pm
Hello Elaine, LazyOut, Chris and others

First of all, thanks for the wishes. I am really happy about this notice, I reaaly wanted to share with you, since it´s important to say that the treatment can be worthful for anyone, in order to achieve the reversion and cure of Barretts.

In spite of that, I won´t give up the periodic surveillance, in order to see if things remain under control.

Chris, I really hope your endoscopy can bring you good news. 

Best wishes

Rodrigo Ribeiro
IP IP Logged
Suzy

Quote Suzy Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 9:06pm
Hi Rodrigo

Excellent news!!  I was diagnosed with a 5cm hiatus hernia, 12cm of grade C oesophagitis and "areas of Barrett's" in Oct. 2008 and put on Omeprazole 40mg a day.
My next scope was the end of Dec. 2008 and in those three months the oesophagitis was down to 2cm and the "areas of Barrett's" had healed.  My consultant had never seen this before.  The real test for me will be in December 2010 when my next scope is due to see if I am still clear. 

It is good news though as it does show that it is possible for Barrett's cells to repair themselves.  There is hope everyone!! 

Chris, good luck next week. 

All the best
Suzy
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 9:07pm
Rod
    Very happy for you ,but very rare ,but that did happen to my nephew after the fundo .Like I said before all barrettes need a scope every year with LOTS of biopsies .Maybe in a few years you may not need any more scopes .
    Make sure you do your job and get the scopes every 12 months DON"T put it off for one day .I like your doctor a wise man .ALWAYS PLAY IT SAFE ........

Maybe we will both be lucky (barrettes free )

Take care HGD JEFF

Edited by jcombs99 - 06 Apr 2010 at 9:34pm
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 9:59pm
Chrisrob
    May your scope be normal with lots of biopsies.
[:)
HGD JEFF
IP IP Logged
jemma

Quote jemma Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 9:10am
That sounds hopeful - did you do anything specific diet-wise?   I am on Lansoprazole (mornings) and ranitidine (before bed) have low grade dysplasia - but apparently the inflammation has decreased. I just want it all to go away.
IP IP Logged
Acadian

Quote Acadian Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 6:27pm
Hi all,

Same thing happened to me TWICE.  I was diagnosed with barretts, put on PPI's then the doc said to stop them since he thought it was a mistake the first time.  After one year, the GORD came back and so did the Barrett's.  Again I was put on PPI's and then back it went to normal cells again.  Quite a roller coaster.

Acadian
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version