Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Cough - Change from omeprazole to Lansoprazole Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
kiafoster

Online Status: Offline
Quote kiafoster Replybullet Posted: 18áNová2010 at 8:45pm
I have been on Pantoprazole  20mg for several months but this week my repeat prescription was unexpectedly changed to 15mg Lansoprazole .  I asked the Doctor why and he advised me that the PCT  (Surrey that is)  had ordered it changed as it is cheaper !!.

KF
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 18áNová2010 at 10:20pm
If it works don't worry about it , BUT if it doesn't BXTCH . Wait 2 weeks to see what happens it takes the body time to adjust..

HGD JEFF

Edited by jcombs99 - 18áNová2010 at 11:20pm
IP IP Logged
kiafoster

Quote kiafoster Replybullet Posted: 27áNová2010 at 10:23am
Thanks Jeff will do.  Whilst I am on this forum would like to (and I will keep this short) ask readers here whether they think what I describe may be GERD. nearly 3 years ago I had no problems but went into hospital to have a femoral hernia (and my friends laughed at the type)  fixed . That was fine no problem. Then about month after discharge from hospital started having symptoms of bad sleep,tinnitus,problem swallowing without it hurting and very red eyes in morning. Also notice very drowsy in morning and with perpetual clearing throat in morning,also when pressed ears in ,morning was slight squelching sound.  Occasionally during day I have had a type of off balance feeling.   This has continued pretty much unabated since. About 1 year ago they said I had a hiatus hernia and there is often a gurgling sound from top left of my chest.  About 5 months ago started taking Pantoprazole and found immediate effect of stopping the reflux during day time, took away horrible full feeling and difficulty swallowing, but still have other symptoms.  When I am upright during daytime it is manageable but as soon  as I lie down on bed I get VERY tired VERY quickly ,and it is not a nice sleepy feeling but a type of going unconcious feeling. Sleep now is no longer a joy because it is not a nice feeling.  As I say, the PPI's have taken away the reflux and a lot of the coughing and reduced the redness of my neck ,but is not perfection by any means.

What do you think ?.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 27áNová2010 at 11:05am
Hi KF,

What you describe, I have experienced frequently during my life. I was told it was catarrh. When I was a young boy, the doctor told my mum I would probably "grow out of it". I wonder whether it was reflux all along.

When refluxate reaches the upper oesophageal sphincter, it can enter the throat, lungs, nasal cavity and possibly eustachian tube to the middle ear.
I am not a doctor but wonder whether reflux could cause tinnitus and balance problems in this way? It would certainly explain why as a boy, I was always having ear problems. (I used to have to attend the children's hospital regularly and have my ears syringed. Then they thought removing my tonsils and adenoids would help.)

But the cough, which increased through my life, was found to have been caused by reflux. How do I know? Well, since I had the fundoplication operation, the cough is much improved. I still get it but not as severely as before - but guess damage to my lungs and upper oesophageal sphincter hasn't completely healed?

It sounds if your PPIs are working to reduce the acid but you are still getting reflux when you lie down. I assume you have raised your bed head 6-8 inches?

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
RichardT

Quote RichardT Replybullet Posted: 27áNová2010 at 11:06am
> I am on this forum would like to ask readers here whether they think
> what I describe may be GERD

Personally, I cannot see how all the symptoms you describe could be GERD.

What you need to find out is what can cause all these symptoms - and GERD is then a symptom.

Were you put on any medication? Research the side effects of that.

Edited by RichardT - 27áNová2010 at 11:54am
www sites and contact:
www.Torrens.org.uk/Med/
www.GreenBottom.org

IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 27áNová2010 at 1:58pm
Kia
   Did you ever have a ph test and before or after the hernia fix . My buddy had an upper GI at mayo and ever since he has been getting MORE heartburn (doctor damaged LOS)..Their's a lot reasons why you get barretts and if it's a couple of things it very hard to find .My brother had a fundo then barretts showed up . It turned out he had food alegerys and took a 1/2 hr test which found them . Then shots help correct them .You have to keep lookin, I wasted 9 days once because they did the tests wrong .BUT on the other hand I took 1 ph test on ppi's and it showed I didn't need a REFUNDO . Yes this is no fun.

HGD JEFF
IP IP Logged
kiafoster

Quote kiafoster Replybullet Posted: 02áDecá2010 at 6:42pm
Thanks very much for all the replies and let me comment on each point as follows;
1.  chrisrob   I note what you say I wonder whether infact it is effecting my eustachian tube  as I noticed the squelching sound each morning and also when I used ear drops once recently I heard a type of hissing sound (didnt use again).   Again I also wonder ,as you suggest, whether it might indeed be causing the tinnitus.   And no I havent yet raised the bed, soon as snow goes am going to get a few bricks and do so. Will be interesting to see if that works now I am on PPI's but did trying year ago before PPI's and didnt do much to help but will try again now.

2.  RichardT .  That has crossed my mind as well that not all GERD symptoms. The only other possibility that comes to mind is that I have Sinusitis as well since I did have a lot of heavy dental work on 2 severly infected top rear molars . The chronology of possible causual events  is , 1st damp flat   2nd hospital for femoral hernia op
and whilst in hospital was taking metronidazole antibiotic that was prescribed by GP for tooth infection , (I was ok at time of discharge from hosp) 3rd after coming out of hospital 2 weeks later went to dentist and had severe drilling (root canal etc) .It was about 3/4 weeks after this 3rd event that problems started .First noticeable effect was severe red eyes in morning and reddish blotchy looking skin on chest and arms /legs which was transient and disappeared after hour or two of being up.

3.jcombs99   I am doing my own PH tests for past few months and at present is about 7 to 7.5 .  Is that OK ???.    What is strange with my condition is that in past 3 years I have had maybe 5 days when I have felt PERFECT and like I was prior to those 3 years.

One other thing would like to ask is whether anyone else here is using Xylitol either as Gum or as replacement for sugar ?. 

Thanks

KF

IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 02áDecá2010 at 6:46pm
KF
   How do you do your own PH TEST??

Thanks JEFF
IP IP Logged
kiafoster

Quote kiafoster Replybullet Posted: 02áDecá2010 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by jcombs99

KF
   How do you do your own PH TEST??

Thanks JEFF

Jeff

I bought some PH testing papers (few booklets of them) and dip into saliva.

Kia
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 02áDecá2010 at 6:54pm
KIA
   I'm no doctor but I don't really think that counts.When they do the 48 hr ph test it's put like 2cm above the LOS so they can see if your getting acid in the E (barretts)....

JEFF
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version