Message Icon Topic: Pain in my back Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Gordon
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Gordon Replybullet Topic: Pain in my back
    Posted: 18áMará2010 at 7:17pm
I have recently been getting a pain in the middle of my back, (definately not muscular).
Has anyone else got this with Barrett's or is it something else?
I had an endoscopy yesterday which confirmed Barrett's, Gastritis, (have been on Omeprazole now Lansoprazole for years), is this normal?
I thought PPI's stopped the acid and therefore the inflammation.
I also had biopsies taken, does anyone know when the results are usually ready?

Sorry about all the questions, just a little concerned.

Edited by Gordon - 18áMará2010 at 8:08pm
IP IP Logged
susan333
Groupie
Groupie

Quote susan333 Replybullet Posted: 19áMará2010 at 10:47am
Hi Gordon
Welcome to the site.
I was diagnosed with Barretts nearly two years ago now. I had symptoms which were not typical for years before I was diagnosed. Over the last few months I have had problems with my back, which have got worse the last two weeks. I can also tell its definitely not muscular, although the GP would disagree! Mine does tend to move around though and I put it down to irritable bowel which I also suffer with from time to time. When I get new symptoms, I really find it difficult to tell if its connected to Barretts, something I would get even if I didnt have Barretts, or worse still, something else more sinister. My doctor is never much help either. I think I know more about Barretts than he does, mostly because of this site.
As you are new to the site, you will get some really good advice from others on here.
All the best.
Sue
IP IP Logged
Gordon
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Gordon Replybullet Posted: 19áMará2010 at 9:07pm
Hi Susan
Thanks for the reply.
I have had Barrett's for a few years now and also have Crohns and IBS as well.
I am generally fit and healthy and have never had any pain in my back until about 5 weeks ago.
I know what this symptom could be but I don't think it is that, as I feel alright.
I really want to be pro active now as I have been very dismissive of this condition.
IP IP Logged
Suzy

Quote Suzy Replybullet Posted: 23áMará2010 at 10:45pm
Hi Gordon and welcome. 

I often have a pain in the middle of my back that goes through to the centre of my chest and then left under the breast bone.  For me it is a sign of reflux/hearburn however it can be a sign of heart attack (don't mean to be alarmest).  I think you'd know by now if it was your heart!  It might be a good idea to mention it to your Dr. though just to rule anything else out, although I 'm sure you'll find it  is reflux related.  My sister was taken to hospital with suspected heart attack only to find  she has reflux.

All the best

Suzy
IP IP Logged
Gordon
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Gordon Replybullet Posted: 24áMará2010 at 8:38pm

Hi Suzy
Thanks for the welcome.
I think it is to do with my reflux, however, is it not also a symptom of the Barrett's getting worse?
My heart is healthy I think. My pulse rate was 57 when I had my endoscopy last week.
No, I am just being a drama queen as I have had Barrett's for 10 years and now have this new pain in my back,(which is intermittent). I have been on Omeprazole and Lansoprazole so thought that the acid would not be a problem. My Gastroenterologist has now told me that as my LES is weak I could be refluxing bile.
I have taken this condition for granted for too long and am now determined to help myself by learning about it and losing weight to maybe get fundoplication.
Any and all advice is sought on symptoms and weight loss.
(stone and a half to lose). [IMG]smileys/smiley3.gif" align="middle" />
Thanks

Edited by Gordon - 24áMará2010 at 8:40pm
IP IP Logged
Suzy

Quote Suzy Replybullet Posted: 31áMará2010 at 9:21pm
Hi Gordon

Sorry, I don't know if back pain is a sympton of Barrett's getting worse.  Perhaps someone else out there can answer that for you.  You'll find loads of useful information on the forums so have a read through, there's lots of advice and help available.  If you can't find what you want ... ask... there's usually someone with an answer/opinion.  As for the weight loss, smaller portions and more exercise I guess!  Good luck.

Suzy
IP IP Logged
Gordon
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Gordon Replybullet Posted: 01áAprá2010 at 8:04pm
Got my biopsy results today.
Barrett's but No dysplasia and my blood tests are all OK.

Now just need to lose the weight and get on top of this Reflux.
Thanks for the good wishes.
I will be a frequent visitor to this site now for any tips
IP IP Logged
susan333
Groupie
Groupie

Quote susan333 Replybullet Posted: 01áAprá2010 at 8:32pm
Hi Gordon
Glad to hear everythings fine.
All the best
Sue
IP IP Logged
Terrapin54
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Terrapin54 Replybullet Posted: 07áJulá2011 at 2:52pm
Hello Gordon and welcome.
I have had back pain for many years to varying degrees, and suspect it was not helped by contracting DVT some 16 months ago and took several months to be able to walk reasonably well again. However since being diagnosed with Barratt's in Nov 2010, my walking has not improved. I can only walk about 1/2 mile without having to rest, or stand for abou 15 minutes before back pain kicks in. I too am sure it is not muscular.

On another topic in this forum about PPI's some weeks ago, I think it was Chris Rob (apologies if it is a wrong attribution, might be Richard T) mentioned that before Halo treatment he could not walk very far, but after treatment and going off PPI's, he know walks and cycles for miles without any difficulty. We don't have a halo machine in this area, and quite frankly both my GP and consultant seem quite happy with PPI's and an endoscopy every 2 years. I will continue to see how my back problems go, but don't hold out much help.
Regards
Richard
Whereof of one cannot speak, one must remain silent.
IP IP Logged
catsmum1

Quote catsmum1 Replybullet Posted: 13áJulá2011 at 12:16pm

Hello Gordon and Richard,

Chris Rob had the fundoplication op, which stopped the reflux and enabled him to come off a very high dose of PPIs, which were giving him a lot of side-effects, including loss of energy. PPIs can cause fatigue and aches and pains in some people, depending on the dose.It is always worth discussing this with your doctor or consultant to see if you can try a different PPI.

The HALO machine is used for an entirely different purpose - to remove the Barrett's cells altogether. It does not prevent reflux so the underlying cause of the Barrett's has to be treated too, by PPIs or fundoplication. Also, unfortunately HALO treatment is not normally available in the UK for people with simple Barrett's or low grade dysplasia. It is generally only used if there is high grade dysplasia present and therefore a greater risk of the Barrett's developing into cancer.

Mid-back pain may be related to reflux or it may be a mechanical back problem. I concur that it is worth consulting a reputable chiropractor. I too have this problem on and off and it is usually found that I have a lot of muscular tension and 'stuck' vertebrae somewhere in my mid back, which is relieved by massage and manipulation.  It is pretty impossible with all of this to establish cause and effect, so you just have to treat the symptoms and maybe keep a diary to establish whether any particular food or activity aggravates things. I've given up analysing it all too deeply as it was just raising my stress levels, which in turn made the symptoms worse!

Good luck!

Lynne
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version