Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
Richard M

Online Status: Offline
Quote Richard M Replybullet Topic: Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication
    Posted: 16áMará2010 at 11:46pm
There was an interesting article in today's Dail Mail about the above procedure.

Has anyone any experience of this? Or views as to its benefits/disbenefits compared to a "standard" laparoscopic fundoplication?

Best wishes

Richard
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 17áMará2010 at 7:37am
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that article. It's always helpful for the cause when newspapers give publicity.

The procedure has been discussed on this forum previously. Last year, Mary was considering having it done. http://www.barrettscampaign.org.uk/forum//forum_posts.asp?TID=189&KW=EsophyX
I don't know whether she did, perhaps it might be worth sending her a pm if anyone is thinking of it.

And Dr Goodman advertised himself here as a surgeon who does the procedure who can be emailed:http://www.barrettscampaign.org.uk/forum//forum_posts.asp?TID=279&KW=EsophyX

Chris
IP IP Logged
gillyP

Quote gillyP Replybullet Posted: 19áAprá2010 at 1:36pm
Hi Richard

I have just seen your post regardingthe article in the Mail.  I am going to have a Nissen Fundoplication in the 6th May so I have printed off the article and will give to my surgeon tomorrow when I have my pre-op.

Anything that is less invasive has to be good.

Many thanks Gill
IP IP Logged
suzanne
Groupie
Groupie

Quote suzanne Replybullet Posted: 27áJuná2010 at 6:43pm

dear chris,firstly thankyou for all your help to so many members on here,i look from time to time and you always seem to take time to help,with sound advice and information.i myself am a 47 year old single mum to two boys of 19 and 22,i have been very troubled with reflux since february,tried two lots of ppi's on double dose,gastroscopy 3 weeks ago,reflux and barretts confirmed,my grandad died of oesophagial cancer when he was 72.i saw gastro consultant this week,was terrified he was going to send me away with no help but he was lovely.he's booked an ultrasound scan,taken bloods,put me on esomoprazole,followed by metchlopromide if no relief,manometry and ph tests if no joy after 6 weeks,and option of nissen fundo if all else fails.the problem is that no medication seems to even touch it,i avoid all trigger foods,but the reflux happens after i eat or drink anything,and i know im not eating enough as ive lost about 9 pounds and was already slight to start with.my throat is constantly sore,frequent heartburn,cough,sleepless nights,and abdo pain.consequently ive been off sick for 6 weeks,prior to that i had 4 days off in 6 and half yearsCry reading your posts where you have gone from suffering badly to feeling well gives me the hope that one day i will feel well again,was it a long journey,and would you recommend the op?my eyes are so sore and red,im certain its the tablets,did any drops work for you chris?anyway thankyou for your time,kind wishes suzanneSmile 

IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 27áJuná2010 at 7:59pm
Hi Suzanne,

Glad you found us. I hope we can help.
I did find the reflux pain abated after a while on PPI's. The pain was mainly from the oesophagitis. Once the Barrett's had formed, the pain receded. But I agree with you that anything can, and did, trigger the painful reflux. I used to find drinking worse than eating: at least having something to saok up the liquid helped.
Is there any form of bland food you can take?
If all else fails, have you tried Complan or asking your GP for high energy drinks?

As for sore eyes, I never did get any help with that. It was considered it could be hay fever (though allergy tests showed nothing) and the drops I tried seemed to make my eyes worse. Have you tried hypromellose? It may be worth a try.

But to get a solution to your problems, the consultant is either going to have to experiment with getting the drugs balanced or you may opt for the surgical route.

I'm glad I eventually had the latter. I had to wait and pester but it was over quickly and I soon rebuilt. It was the fundo that gave me my life back.
I wouldn't want to persuade anyone to go that route. there are dangers with all surgery. All I'm saying is it worked for me.

There is hope.

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
suzanne
Groupie
Groupie

Quote suzanne Replybullet Posted: 28áJuná2010 at 1:06pm
thankyou for your reply chris,sometimes the reflux doesnt burn,but its so uncomfortable feeling theres something in the bottom of the oesophagus,and sometimes things stick for a while,the gastroscopy didnt show any narrowing,and hiatus hernia wasnt mentioned(im not sure if hernia's show up on scopes?)i eat only bland things,such as cereal and bananas etc....my problem is that i(and i know im lucky by the waySmile)have always been someone who has had had to eat a huge amount of food in order to maintain my weight,so thats changed.the consultant was lovely though,so hopefully im in good hands.i read your account of your experiences and it was very helpful...there are many kind people on here,which makes an important differenceSmiletake care kind wishes suzanne
IP IP Logged
Acadian

Quote Acadian Replybullet Posted: 28áJuná2010 at 8:26pm

Hi Chris,

How long ago did you have your surgery. Can you eat normal foods again?  Do you still need meds?

Thanks,  Acadian

IP IP Logged
suzanne
Groupie
Groupie

Quote suzanne Replybullet Posted: 18áJulá2010 at 6:27pm

hi chris,hope u dont mind me asking a few questions?ive been on lansoprozole 60 mgs for bout 2 months,im eating only bland things and avoiding any of the usual triggers but still get pain and heartburn that radiates from my chest into my back,sometimes it hurts to breathe,feels raw inside and my throat is almost constantly red and sore,im presuming from the acid(?LPR)im to phone hospital in 2 wks to arrange manometry and ph tests.what i wondered was did the op stop your throat  and breathing pain?im seriously considering surgery if its offerred as i dont feel as tho im getting any better and my quality of life is being compromised,despite doing/not doing what should/shouldnt do(im 47)do u know if it ever sorts itself out in time?the only people i know with gerd(no barretts tho) take normal dose meds,avoid spicy food but can have almost normal diet with meds.is upping the dose an option thats likely to help me?i know u were on max dose.i think that this can be such a solitary journey...it is nice to know there are others out there that can empathise and are kind,thankyou in advance suzanneSmile

IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 19áJulá2010 at 2:18am
Suzanna
Ask for a MANOMETRY TEST, 48 HR PH TEST, BARUIUM X-RAY TEST .........I had all 3 in one day that should tell you what's wrong ...

TAKE CARE JEFF
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 19áJulá2010 at 12:07pm
Hi Suzanne and Acadian,

Sorry I haven't responded earlier. I was out cycling.

I had my surgery last April. Up till then I had been on 80mg Omeprazole supplemented by Gaviscon and requiring drugs for asthma, anaemia and cough.

Since the operation I have been totally drug free. Whereas before the op, I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without getting out of breath, I have just cycled over 400 miles with just a little soreness that is better treated with nappy rash cream!

I have been told my fundo wrap is not very tight. I do still occasionally get a little non-acidic reflux. (Like after having a large meal late the other evening with probably far too much fermented grape juice - which caused me to have a small coughing attack in the early hours - though nothing like what I used to experience.)
It did take a few weeks of "training" eating small (and initially, fairly liquid) meals - but the stomach is smaller and you feel full quicker. However now, I eat normal sized meals and normal food. But I (try to) remember what it used to be like and don't want to go back there!

Suzanne, as you know the pain comes from the acid and the upper oesophageal sphincter has no protection whatsoever. Upping your dose may stop the throat pain but may also provide more asthma like "side effects" as non-acidic matter may still enter the lungs.

See what the tests tell your consultant - he should get a better picture of exactly what's going on.

I cannot "recommend" surgery as, of course, all treatments have their dangers, but suffice it to say, for me it was the best thing I've done.
Only thing to remember is the wrap probably lasts only 10 years and having it redone presently requires more major surgery. However, hopefully, within the next years, better surgical treatments may become more efficient.

(There are other surgical alternatives to the fundoplication but so far they haven't proved so effective.)

Hope this has helped. Please do feel free to ask more questions.

Chris
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version