Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Introduce yourself. Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 6
chrisrob

Online Status: Offline
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 1:12pm
These are some of the reasons I believe fundos aren't widely suggested as treatment:

Fundos are costly (though must be cheaper than a lifetime's prescriptions of high dose PPIs). The operation carries (low) risks. The wrap won't last forever and it's not so easy to redo it. Most GI consultants you are sent to are medics rather than surgeons. Doctors are trained by the drugs companies; they say this drug is safe and effective so they prescribe it.

I had to ask for mine. Despite side effects from PPIs, my medical consultant advised me to wait 6 months to see whether a different drug regime (upping PPIs from 60 to 80mg) would work (made things worse) and then he had to write to the surgical team to request the op. In the end, it was about a year from asking for the op to my getting it.

Glad the drugs are helping with the heartburn relief. Your case sounds similar to mine however, inasmuch as, after many years of really intense heartburn and oesophagitis, the PPIs suppressing the acid production did relieve that symptom. However, the reflux isn't stopped by PPIs. With you it is causing chest pain, with me a cough. Get anything - a crumb, a drop of water, in the lungs and it hurts and causes you to cough. Reflux up the oesophagus has obviously breached the lower oesophageal sphincter. If it breaches the upper oesophageal sphincter it can enter the lungs.

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
benlincs

Quote benlincs Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 9:19pm
hi gigi,have looked at the natural remedys site,is it ok to take apple cider vinegar? some say its to acidic and may irritate the oesophegus,others say its ok,im confused,i had some yesterday,and it worked fine? by the way the docs perscribed ranatadine....cheers
IP IP Logged
Gigi

Quote Gigi Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 5:41pm
Hi Ben. By the way hearburn sufferers rave about apple cider vinegar you would think it's ok, but in all honesty I know as much as you. I'm struggling at the mo. Chest pain getting me down.  My doctor gave me a prescription for Ranitidine which I haven't used yet, as i didn't want ppis anymore.  Does it seem to work as well? I'm thinking of trying that to see if it helps rid me of the pain.
Glad you're getting on ok,
Regards
CPG - Chest Pain Gill, haha
IP IP Logged
benlincs

Quote benlincs Replybullet Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 8:47pm
hi gill, thanks for replying,how r u doing off the ppi's.ive tried low carb and juicing a potatoe,before meals,gaviston before bed,seems to be keeping it at bay,but fear i may have to go back on the pills at some stage! regards ben
IP IP Logged
usmile
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote usmile Replybullet Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 5:09pm
Never heard of juicing a potatoe.  How does that help?
IP IP Logged
Gigi

Quote Gigi Replybullet Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 7:55pm
Hi Ben. Thanks for asking. If you care to see the 'Awful Indigestion' thread, where I seem to have warbled on for some considerable time about my complaints, you will see that I am back on them! The advice I received that the chest pain could be because the oesophagus was inflamed scared me and I immediately started the remaining Lansoprazole tablets that I have left - and it seems to have worked.  But I collected my prescription for 150mg Ranitidine today, so will start that twice daily from tomorrow and see how it goes.
I'm even wondering if the cyder vinegar contributed to the pain, altho I only had a few drinks with it in.(not vodka I might add)
So, I've gone full circle. What about you and the potato?!!
Gill
IP IP Logged
Gigi

Quote Gigi Replybullet Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 8:00pm
Whoops, I mean Ian!Embarrassed  Or is it Ben?

Edited by Gigi - 06 Oct 2010 at 8:01pm
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 6
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version