Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: When to see the doctor. Post Reply Post New Topic
PhilK

Online Status: Offline
Quote PhilK Replybullet Topic: When to see the doctor.
    Posted: 17áJaná2010 at 8:55pm
Hi, I'm Phil. I was diagnosed with Barrett's almost a year ago and my hiatus hernia was diagnosd over a decade ago.

Lately, I've been experiencing a frequent sore throat, often feels like there's something stuck in it (does not affect my breathing) and there's an 'odd' throb that comes and goes. I've been under a huge amount of stress for a prolonged time now however, and wonder if it is 'just in my mind?' Fatigue (often delayed) and depression, coupled with onset insomnia are amongst my other (very real) conditions.

I also wonder, by constantly worrying about our Barrett's, can we 'imagine' symptoms? Like my tinnitus, the more I dwell on it, the louder it seems to get.

At what point do we go to the doctor?

Thanks

Phil.
pj.kilcommon@googlemail.com
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 18áJaná2010 at 7:37am
Hi Phil,

Like you, I had numerous 'odd afflictions' which, on further research I put down to side effects from prolonged use of PPI's at high doses.

I compiled a list which I posted here: http://www.barrettscampaign.org.uk/forum//forum_posts.asp?TID=138&KW=side+effects&PID=613#613

I didn't suffer from everything on the list but nearly half of them.

I am pleased to say, having had the fundoplication operation 9 months ago and been drug free since, they have all gone.

I have also regained my sense of smell (which can be a good thing and a bad thing!).

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
PhilK

Quote PhilK Replybullet Posted: 18áJaná2010 at 9:36pm
Thanks for your comment to this and to my other post Chris. I've not been on this site long but already, I seem to have discovered in you, a wise and learned man. I respect and thank you for your replies.

Every drug has it's side effects and when I was diagnosed with my hiatus hernia, I had trepidations about having to take a PPI for life not knowing what problems long term usage may cause. If only, back then, I had the same 'trepidations' about long term alcohol misuse, which in my case is very relavent to my condition of Barrett's.

Alcohol remains a blight in my life, my partner Jacqui, has fallen off the wagon again. As a recovering Alcoholic, it is very frustrating and induces much stress as a result of her behaviour when she drinks. I wonder how this additional, prolonged stress will also affect me. Time will tell.

Take care my learned friend. I look forward to reading further posts from you (and others).

Regards

Phil
pj.kilcommon@googlemail.com
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version