Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: new member: long term untreated Barretts Post Reply Post New Topic
ssuk

Online Status: Offline
Quote ssuk Replybullet Topic: new member: long term untreated Barretts
    Posted: 19áNová2009 at 12:35pm
hi all

glad to have found this forum.

i am a 41 year old male who was diagnosed with Barretts about 10 years ago, and then forgot all about it and haven't been taking any medication.

about 3 weeks ago i got a major pain in the left side of my chest and shoulder which has persisted and travels to the shoulder area. saw first doc who said muscular and gave me temazepam to help me sleep. since then experienced an episode of  swallowing difficulties so went back today for a second opinion and was advised is more than likely the Barretts. she was shocked that i hadn't been taking meds which scared me a bit. my reflux is only periodic though severe when present.

been put on indefinite omeprazole 40mg

also am gluten and lactose intolerant, ibs, thalassemia, carpal tunnel syndrome and aspergers syndrome, can you see`why i forgot i had barrets lol

i smoke and drink alcohol.

looking forward to making some friends and learning more about barretts

Edited by ssuk - 20áNová2009 at 2:04pm
IP IP Logged
ssuk

Quote ssuk Replybullet Posted: 20áNová2009 at 1:24pm
i've just signed up for a nasal endoscopy trial (and then a normal one) at addenbrooke's. hopefully they can have a look to see if anything has changed in the considerable time that has passed since my last endo.

after reading up on this site and elsewhere, and learning about the potential seriousness of this condition (which was NOT made clear when first dx'd 10+ years ago) i am very concerned about the possible effect of being untreated and unmonitored all this time. hopefully the two endo's at addenbrooke's will provide some reassurance when they happen Confused

Edited by ssuk - 20áNová2009 at 2:07pm
IP IP Logged
ssuk

Quote ssuk Replybullet Posted: 27áNová2009 at 9:28am
i have my first endoscopy at addenbrookes next week. They are testing a nasal scope, yikes, wish me luck.

I am sending this from the bus on my new gadget which has given me the idea to say how it went when i am on the coach going home after scope next week.

Edited by ssuk - 27áNová2009 at 9:32am
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 29áNová2009 at 2:34pm
Hi SS

All the best for your nasal edoscopy. I believe it's not as uncomfortable as a "normal" gastroscopy can be? Perhaps you can let us know?
Hope everything's OK. You should be in good hands at Addenbrookes- it's where Rebecca Fitzgerald's based.

Sounds like you've a lot of medical conditions to cope with. I wonder to what extent they may be connected?
I know gluten and lactose intolerance are also gastrointestinal tract related. Are you coeliac?
I also know barrett's and the PPI medications can make you anaemic which isn't so good if you're already thalassemic!

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 29áNová2009 at 8:19pm
SSUK

You are a lucky man , their doing a nasal scope then a normal (EGD) on you .I think they want to see if they come out the same . First one costs about 75% less then second one .It's new in the US. , but works IF your not messed up .

Wish I could do that . POST THEM BOTH

HGD, CHEAP, JEFF
IP IP Logged
ssuk

Quote ssuk Replybullet Posted: 30áNová2009 at 9:33am
hi there, thanks for the replies

I feel lucky to be having two scopes so quickly, next one in early jan 2010. I will def post on both experiences and results when i get them. if the nasal scope is indeed bearable without sedation, it could greatly speed up the diagnostic process for others in the future.

Chat soon
Ssuk
IP IP Logged
ssuk

Quote ssuk Replybullet Posted: 02áDecá2009 at 2:12pm
hi, as promised i am posting this from the coach on my way home following my nasal endoscopy. Addenbrookes is a huge hospital, twas a good thing i arrived early as i got lost!

I was seen rapidly once there, and the team were very good. The doc explained the procedure and risks etc in a side room and checked blood pressure, which was normal. He then sprayed a good few blasts of a local anaesthetic up one of my nostrils, and inserted a catheter in it. This was to create an opening, he said. I was then taken to the room with the scope equipment. I had to lie on the bed on my left side and felt them put something on my finger. The doc removed the catheter and started inserting the scope. It felt odd, but bearable to start with. As it went around the bend and past the throat, i did start to gag and burp a bit. They put a suction in, but i had followed the fasting instructions rigidly, and nothing came up. The doc kept telling me to swallow, which caused more gagging. In total the gagging prob lasted 30 seconds then ceased as the scope went further. I kept my eyes firmly shut throughout. The rest of the procedure was surprisingly bearable. I could hear them saying 'open.....shut' quite a few times and assume those were the biopsy samples being taken. When he took the scope out, there was no gagging. The whole procedure probably took about 15 mins.
IP IP Logged
ssuk

Quote ssuk Replybullet Posted: 12áJaná2010 at 4:13pm
hi

i am returning to addenbrookes tomorrow for a normal scope. i don't know if my results from the nasal scope will be ready. i won't bother posting about it as it is a standard under sedation (not throat spray). thanks to the two members who took the time to respond in this thread. i was hoping to chat with more of you, but never mind, hopefully what i have posted about my experience will help someone else further down the line.

signing out
ssuk
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 12áJaná2010 at 4:42pm
SSUK
    They should've given you the path report in 2 or 3 days or at the most 2 weeks .Maybe call or go in early to find out what it was .The path report counts, looks mean very little .
    Good luck tomorrow but get on their backs to get the doctors report and path report then post them .

HGD JEFF
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 12áJaná2010 at 7:00pm
Hi SS

All the best for tomorrow

Chris

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic