Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: First time diagnosis of barretts Post Reply Post New Topic
victor1
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote victor1 Replybullet Topic: First time diagnosis of barretts
    Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 7:48pm
I have just  been diagnosed with barretts disease. Dr said it is very very small and at the time of the endoscopy he wasnt going to take a biopsy as it was probably only oesophagitis , but result came back as barretts. I have to go back in 2years time for another endoscopy. I suppose I should think my self lucky he took a biopsy, but I am still worrying all the time. I think this is a very imformative site, and this is the first  time I have written like this  I am 70 years old.I am still suffering a slight sore throat its ok in the morning but comes on as the day progresses. I am taking lansopraze 30mg.I dont seem to be getting reflux. I have been taking these tablets for some years,which kept it at bay .But lately it came back hence the endoscopy. .Anything else I could try? I must admit worrying seems to bring on the chest pain and sore throat.

Edited by victor1 - 07 Jul 2009 at 8:25pm
IP IP Logged
AndyR

Quote AndyR Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 3:44pm
Hi Victor,

I was recently diagnosed also with a very small tongue of barrett's, so I know what you are going through.

I think it is normal to worry about the diagnosis especially when it is not expected. However there is only a small chance that it will progress to anything worse than what you have now. Even if it does you are being monitored now so they will catch it early. As many say in this forum, we are the lucky ones as we know and can be monitored (I have to keep reminding myself of this).

Did you speak to your doctor about the sore throat?

Andy

IP IP Logged
victor1
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote victor1 Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 8:33pm

Thankyou for your reply Andy. I am going to see my doctor on Thur re sore throat. I am wondering if it a side effect of lansoprazole . At the moment I have stopped taking it and it seems to have improved. I am taking gaviscon instead ,after meals. I also suffer from chest pains which is not indigestion pains as I know what that is like. Today I took solpadine tablets , and I have no chest pains at moment.I will explain this all to my GP on Thurs.Once again thankyou for your reply,it all helps.

IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 8:19am
Hi Victor and welcome; glad you found us.

Unfortunately things like sore throats and chest pains are other symptoms from reflux..
Differnt doctors have sent me on different occasions for ECG's in case my chest pains were heart but each time I, fortunately, came away with a clean bill of health on that score.
I believe it's something to do with the acid aspirating to the throat and inhaled to the lungs?

Acid reflux also affects the throat. In my reply to Margaret in her HALO treatment thread, I gave her the following link which shows how this occurs: http://www.healthline.com/sw/khs-what-is-acid-reflux

Although I believe there can be many unpleasant side effects of high dosage PPI's over a long period of time, these symptoms, to me, sound like they should be suppressed if you get the dose right.

Anyway, let us know how you get on.

All the best,

Chris
IP IP Logged
victor1
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote victor1 Replybullet Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 5:43pm
Thankyou for your reply Chris. The consultant seemed non commital when I metioned this to him,about the sore throat etc, so I will see what my GP says   this week  and see what he says.
IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 18 Jul 2009 at 4:44am

Bidding for and hosting the Olympics successfully is, perhaps, the ultimate glory for a city. However, before transforming the dream into reality, the benefits and drawbacks of bidding for the Olympics should be weighed carefully.

Hosting the Olympics surely would bring about much gain to a city. Boom of the local economy, more jobs, and the possibility of generating income all sound extremely attractive to the municipal government. At the same time, better infrastructure, cleaner environment, enjoying the spectacular game with hundreds of sports elites and entertainment stars, and the opportunity of contacting people from all over the world also seem exciting to the citizens. Besides, the bidding will definitely promote the patriotic emotion and pride, as well as the moral behavior in local people. In most cases, bidding for the Olympics is well supported by both the public and the central government.

Unfortunately, this is not the entire view of the pretty picture. If looking from another angle, the Olympic bid might bring about some side-effects to a city.  wow power leveling,
    First of all, the environmental impacts, including the increasing exhaust fumes of cars, more pressure on water resources, huge amount of wasted leaflets and other materials used for public activities, are most probably neglected. In order to broaden the streets, some trees may have to be cut. Near the construction site, the tiny dust may linger in the air for a long time. Reduction of farmland may be caused by the need of setting up new sports centre or accommodation facilities. These environmental consequences can be especially serious in a resource-limited and densely-populated city in a third-world country.

Besides, if talking about the economic benefit, it should not be forgotten that a quick boosting may lead to bubble growth, which may easily crash. If not well managed and organized, the big event may not be so profitable, and the new facilities may be forever empty after the games. Yes, there have been cases that host cities ended up with enormous debts.

Finally, let’s think about the low-income groups in the city. What will they get from the Olympics bidding? More tax, more fees, more expensive property prices, and higher cost of living. These definitely are not good news for them.

To bid or not to, this is a question. It is up to the choice of the municipal government, and the local public. After the decision, what they can do is to make the most of the benefit, and reduce the drawbacks to the least.
world of warcraft power leveling,
The excitement of Sydney 2000 Olympic Games lasted for a long time. 28 gold medals won by Chinese athletes dwarf our Asian nelghhors, heat quite a few hlg countries of sports, and surprise the two superpowers——the United States and the Russian Federation. The great success clearly indicates that a new superpower of sports is in embryo.

Our success in the 27th Olympic Games is far beyond sports. First, the glory greatly enhances the international prestige of China. Through TV, people all over the world know more about New China, especially the dramatic progress made in the past two decades. Next, it greatly boosts the morale of our people. Billions of Chinese witnessed how the former ugly ducklings hecame China with the force of an avalanche. The successful stories or the Olymplc Medalists fuel the ambition of millions of Chinese youth. Finally, It heightens our selfconfidence and nationalism. China, a weak nation in sports in the past, has rapidly risen up and become one of the sports giants. Why couldn't she be a modernized China soon? What is more,the success has laid a firm foundation for Beijing to host the 2008 Olympic Games.
aoc power leveling
  The 27th Olimpic Games was over, but the Olympic Spirit lives on. In the race for a better nation,there is no finish line. If we keep on working hard, the day will certainly come when China will be a powerful country with international prestige.

Olympics

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version