Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Wake up call Post Reply Post New Topic
Keefy

Online Status: Offline
Quote Keefy Replybullet Topic: Wake up call
    Posted: 09áJuná2009 at 5:20pm
Hi,
Iam just posting to introduce myself as a new sufferer. I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with Barrett,s and Iam now on the obligatory omeprazole.
It has been a great help reading the past posts especially relating to the long term issues we have to face and treatments now available.
I myself have been one of those people who have enjoyed eating and drinking all of those things the experts say are bad for us . So this has been a big wake up call and a start of a new healthy lifestyle which i hope will not be too boring !
I look forward to meeting some of you at next weeks Weesex meeting
Cheers
Keefy

IP IP Logged
Cinders
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Cinders Replybullet Posted: 09áJuná2009 at 9:54pm
Hi...I have had said condition for nine years now with an increase in both symptoms and medication level of dosage.....now 20mg am and pm.  I had a terrible autumm last year and had put on lots of weight over the last couple  of years for a variety of reasons.  I woke up choking one night and gave myself a real fright as I couldnt breath for what seemed a long time!! Anyway, I gave myself a real talking to after that, and having spoken to my GP it was decided that losing weight and eating sensibly at regular times was the order of the day.  I am 58 years old and in the last 8 months have joined a very gentle gym called Curves which I to to once a week at least......my eating habits have stabalised, and I have lost 20 pounds during this time.  I now feel much fitter and generally have changed my attitude to food.   I still enjoy the odd glass of wine, and dont eat anything which upsets my tummy, which is anything with fat in it.  I have been told i look younger and I can now keep up with my 5 grandchildren, and have set my heart on making sure i am around to see them grow up..........fingers crossed!!!
IP IP Logged
Keefy

Quote Keefy Replybullet Posted: 11áJuná2009 at 10:26am
Thanks Cinders,

Its good to hear someone elses story and yours is really uplifting .

Its ironic I only went to my GP after hurting my ankle walking a dog for a friend and
just happened to mention my reflux /swallowing problem.

After an initial feeling of dread I am now really positive about the future

Thanks again for your support

Cheers

Keefy
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version