Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: biopsies Post Reply Post New Topic
mandi

Online Status: Offline
Quote mandi Replybullet Topic: biopsies
    Posted: 01 Jun 2009 at 11:10pm
Hi, I was told 3 months after having a gastroscopy in a foreign country ,due to problems whilst having other elective surgery that I have barretts the consultant was very concerned and forwarded me the photo's to take to the NHS and a covering letter. He felt it was what he described as grade 3 barrets last precancerous cells before the big C. Unfortunately this did not arrive in time for my scope which was done by a trained nurse. She could not get a look at my esophagus because I was rejecting the scope. They have eventually been seen by a consultant who has asked me to go in for biopsies this Thursday and discuss my condition. My question is do the biopsies hurt. I have always been sedated when I have scopes here but was awake in the other country. I can cope with the scope but anxious about additional pain in an already sensitive area (can't get my symptoms under control). I suspect I'm a little aggressive when sedated but know I need the biopsies to find out what stage my Barrett's is. Just for information I had not had a scope for 7 years and have suffered with my hernia and heart burn through out this time.
Thanks Mandi
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2009 at 6:23am
Hi Mandi,

Glad you found us.
Sorry to hear of your problems but hope your team will now sort out what's best for you.

To answer your question, I have had a few biopsies and not felt a thing. It really feels no different  from any other gastroscopy.

What medication are you on for your reflux? Usually you'll be on a PPI (probably omeprazole) and if the dose is right, your heartburn might be expected to be under control with possible extra help from Gaviscon.

I'm assuming you've had, and follow, all the normal advice of not eating late, eating little and often, avoiding certain foods, etc?

All the best for Thursday. Let us know how you get on.

Chris
IP IP Logged
mandi

Quote mandi Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2009 at 8:01am
 Thanks Chris. That's reassuring, I think I'll give it a go without sedation which I think gives the benefit of not missing anything that's said. I have had problems for years. Duodenal ulcers, peptic ulcers esophagitus and a very large hiatus hernia. I have been on lanzsoprozole x 60mg for years. Although my GP had allowed me to take them PRN which is why I'm here. My father had the repair op for hiatus hernia 30 years ago. As you can imagine this was a miserable failure and he suffers greatly to this day. I assumed that it was something you just put up with. Anyway since diagnosis I have been on nexium 40mg then up to 80mg and motilium. I have had little relief and suffer almost daily regardless of the amount or what I eat. I do have foods I cannot tolerate at all. I'm now back on lanzorozole which seems to help me more, but I am concerned the symptoms are not resolving as I know this is the key to preventing further damage of the esophagus. I have found the reading on this forum very helpful and interesting. As with everyone else initially I freaked out. But now know it may not be the end of the world as I know it. Will update after Thursday.
Thanks for your support
Mandy
IP IP Logged
Geraint

Quote Geraint Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2009 at 2:11pm
Mandi
I always have my Gastroscopies without anaesthetic. As long as you can breath through your nose it is OK. You don't lose hours having to come round. Being able to drive away straight afterwards is a big bonus too! There is absolutely no pain from the biopsies.
IP IP Logged
mandi

Quote mandi Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2009 at 1:51am
Update, I had the biopsies and I'm pleased to say the doctor felt I had been mislead. He said he could only see approx 1cm Barrett's. He was move concerned with my large sliding hiatus hernia and esophagitis. I have to go for the acid test and he feels I will probably be a good candidate for repair of the hernia. I'm not sure which way to go as the PPI do have dreadful side effects but surgery is  frightening.  I suppose I will see what the biopsies show and the follow up appointment. Any personal exepriences of either would be helpful
Regards Mandi
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2009 at 11:08am
Hi again, Mandi,

Glad the news isn't as bad as you were expecting. Smile

I had terrible oesophagitis when I was first scoped in 1994 but that healed from reduced acid reflux with PPIs.

You sound in a similar situation to the one I was in.

Initially for me the PPI's worked. They don't heal anything but turn off the acid to stop it doing damage. The reduced acid environment permits natural healing to occur.

I was first offered the operation in 1999 but was too much of a coward to go ahead with it as then the drugs seemed to be doing a reasonable job.
However, like you, I was getting side effects from them and eventually, 11 weeks ago tomorrow, had the operation.
I don't know why I'd been so worried. 90 minutes under anaesthetic so didn't know a thing. No pain (apart from a bit of bruising) and out of hospital next day. No scars - just 5 little scratches that have healed up. And no more medication!
Get full quicker and lost 20 pounds weight but that's steady now and I'm eating normally again.
BUT I got my life back. After not having been able to cycle at all for 18 months, I do 10 miles before breakfast every day now (and am even considering expanding my route to 20 miles!).

Obviously you'll need to make your own decision depending upon the advice of your gastroenterologist but I wish I'd had my operation years ago.

All the best,

Chris

IP IP Logged
mandi

Quote mandi Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2009 at 3:39pm
Hi, thanks Chris. I have had esophagitis before about 8 years ago I think. As with you the PPI's worked for a time. My first scope was around 1997 I think, when I had my hiatus hernia diagnosed and the ulcers were you need to take anti biotics to resolve them I have had peptic ulcers twice since also. I think you get to the point were you think this is the hand your dealt and put up with it. I now know the damage it's caused and that I don't have to put up with it, thanks to reading other experiences on this forum and my views are changing. I like others have ended up taking iron tablets due to my iron count falling to 5 (not hb)and feeling pretty dreadful. Again it's only through reading this website I realise it could be part on my ongoing stomach problems and tablets. I have a 3 year old daughter who I wish to have lots of energy to enjoy more. At present after working full time in a stressful job and then spending time with her. I don't feel I have much left for my husband and 2 grown up kids. Gosh what a whinger I am. I have found all the comments and other stories really empowering and feel I understand my own symptoms much better and don't feel such a hypochondriac now.
Thanks again
Mandy
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version