Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Event: indefinite for dysplasia+thickened gastric folds - Event Date: 12 May 2020 Post Reply Post New Topic
elainer

Online Status: Offline
Quote elainer Replybullet Calendar Event: indefinite for dysplasia+thickened gastric folds
    Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:21pm
Hi just need some advice. I've had 3 cm BO for 10 years, no dysplasia and had 3 yr follow up endoscopy in July 19 (10 biopsies). I was copied into follow up letter to GP advising "indefinite for dysplasia" at 33 cms,follow up in 12 months. I was very upset to received the info in this way, however,my Consultant was very understanding and he personally conducted follow up endoscopy in Janurary 20. Endoscopy report on the day showed my BO to now be 4 cms (an increase of 1 cm in 6 months). He only did 5 biopsies at 32cms and 34cms, in the area of BO and did not do any at 33 cms (the area previously found to be ind for dysplasia)but did 4 further biopsies at 38 cms outside area of Barretts, which he noted "TGF". Consultant's letter advised no sign of dysplasia in area of BO and I'm on his wait list to see him. I have since researced TGF, which means "thickened gastric folds". These can be caused by long term use of PPIs but can also be caused by gastric cancer. TGF was not mentioned in his follow up letter to me. My research indicates that gastric cancer is difficult to detect and cannot be ruled out by the pinch biopsies undertaken with normal endoscopies. I've been waiting for my follow up appointment but of course Covid 19 has delayed everything. I don't want my concerns to be minimised. I propose to email my Consultant with concerns and will request histology results. Has anyone experienced this and any advice on how to go forward. Many thanks   Elaine
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version