Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Do I need another endoscopy? Post Reply Post New Topic
gladiolus

Online Status: Offline
Quote gladiolus Replybullet Topic: Do I need another endoscopy?
    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 4:08pm
Hello. I had an endoscopy in December 2016 which revealed a small area of Barrett's in my oesophagus. I was told that I would be sent for another endoscopy after 3 years. I have had no letters or communication regarding this. If I can't get one on the NHS would it be worth paying for one privately? How often do others with Barrett's usually get scoped?

Edited by gladiolus - 28 Jan 2020 at 4:10pm
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:11am
Hi,

I suggest you contact the hospital, the gastroenterology secretary, and ask if you are scheduled for a scope.
Depending on the size of your Barrett's and other mitigating factors, intervals for surveillance scoping are usually between 2 and 5 years with 3 years being most common, as shown in NICE guidelines as a diagram on this page.

It should be provided free on NHS, so there's no need for you to get one done privately.
It's most unlikely the scope will show any changes. In the vast majority of us, our Barrett's will never change, but the scopes are to look for any mutation that could progress to cancer so it may be treated in time to prevent that.

Edited by chrisrob - 29 Jan 2020 at 9:15am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version