Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Results! Post Reply Post New Topic
marie

Online Status: Offline
Quote marie Replybullet Topic: Results!
    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:07pm
Hello!

For the past 10 years I've been having scopes and all of them said 'negative for dysplasia'. Today I was disappointed to hear that my latest test was 'indefinite for dysplasia'. So I have another scope next October to re-check.

Has anyone had this before? Where it was indefinite?

It has me really worried.

Sue

IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 10:09am
Hi Sue,

"Indefinite for dysplasia" is a term used by pathologists when the biopsy isn't clear. That's why they request another scope in about 6 months to allow any inflammation to recede and a better biopsy sample to be harvested.

Usually there is nothing to worry about. They just want to be sure.
If in October, they do find dysplasia, it will be possible to have it removed by ablation to remove the possibility of it mutating further towards cancer.

This page of the Down With Acid encyclopaedia, shows the pathway map for diagnosis and treatment.
IP IP Logged
marie

Quote marie Replybullet Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 11:39am
Hey Chrisrob,

Thank you so much for your kind answer. I got so used to hearing 'negative for dysplasia' that it took me by surprise. Mind you, since my last scope 3 years ago, a lot changed in my life, including a move. I have to admit I wasn't as mindful of what I was eating as I usually was and relied a bit too much on antacids to see me through.

So it's possible to have a negative diagnosis after an indefinite one?

Also, my doctor never mentioned 6 months. She wanted a good year or two. of really trying to control my 'acid' before checking again. I also noticed the date of my next endoscopy is in 2 years, not a year, so I'll check next week with the office. My endoscopy was in Oct. 2019 and she told the secretary a year, but since it's now 2020, the secretary booked it in 2021. But I think my doctor meant a year since my last endoscopy which would make it 2020.

I'm going to do everything in my power to control my acid - I have a hernia which causes it - but I know my eating can definitely improve.

Thanks - it really worries me.

Sue
IP IP Logged
elainer

Quote elainer Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:35pm
Hi sorry only just noticed this, I was diagnosed indefinite for dysplasia, which is often due to inflammation. I was very upset when I received my letter and was advised follow up in 12 months. I contacted Consultant's secretary and explained my concerns. My Consultant agreed a further endoscopy 6 months after the previous one. The result came back "no sign of dysplasia and Consultant said it was probably the inflammation which could be seen, which distorts the cells to look similar to dysplasia. Hope you're re-assured as I was fine but contact Consultant's Secretary if you need re-assurance. Hope this helps. Regards   Elaine   
IP IP Logged
marie

Quote marie Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:40pm
Awwww..... thank you Elaine for responding from a personal point of view. So happy to hear everything is well with you. I was really upset about my indefinite result and my doctor scheduled me for an appt. two years later. I was in the process of getting it switched to a year apart and then the pandemic hit and everything is a mess. I do have an endoscopy scheduled in Oct. of 2021 but I'm hoping to move it up.

I found it scary but my doctor was not in the least worried. I'm worried, though.

Thanks for letting me know of your great results.

Hope you are doing okay during this crazy time.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version