Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: 3 yearly follow up scope Post Reply Post New Topic
henge
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote henge Replybullet Topic: 3 yearly follow up scope
    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 3:26pm
just had my follow scope done (3 years ) told me still the same basically as my last one I must admit I have eaten in the last three years foods that are not recommended for the diet without really having any problems whatso ever , I have never ever had heartburn from day one anyway was wondering if anyone else eats basically what they want without any problems , I gave up drinking alchohol from day one 3 years ago when diagnosed and have never smoked , my main concern is what the omerprozale has done to my body the other end as its has totally messed up my toilet motions not being crude but once a day , morning like a runny cow pat lol , I mentioned this to the guy who scoped me and he suggested going on a H2b blocker I asked my useless GP about it as the hospital told me to go back to the doctor which I find bizzare as what do they know really about barretts he gave me a prescription which I think says 400mg of some blocker I don't think I will be taking them somehow , I have used the omerprozale over the past three years with weeks of taking every other day and taking time out from them with three day intervals at times with no problems another point is has anyone who has had a re scope had bouts of terrible nausea that comes on after one hour of eating food them subsides find this odd anyway await the biopsy reports now hopefully all good   
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 4:08pm
Hi Henge,

Your Barrett's shouldn't change. It's an addition of cells to protect against acid reflux. It is a permanent addition that doesn't grow or shrink bu remains inert, though there is the small possibility of mutation which can lead to cancer which is why we have regular endoscopies every few years.

Your diet won't make any difference. Acidic foods do not cause the stomach to become more acidic. Acid production is controlled and regulated by hormones and neurotransmitters as described here.
The refluxing acid attacking the oesophagus that triggered the production of Barrett's cells usually inflames the mucosa (oesophagitis) which may be irritated by acid foods passing over it as heartburn. By following the diet, you are just avoiding anything that may cause an unpleasant symptom rather than cure it. Your omeprazole is the best way to do that.

Diarrhoea and constipation are possible side effects from PPIs (Proton Pump Inhibitors - omeprazole is one.) You may find you don't experience those symptoms on a different one. You can ask your doctor if you can try lansoprazole or pantoprazole instead. (If you are on 20mg omeprazole, it's equivalent to 30mg lansoprazole or 40mg pantoprazole.)
PPIs work by preventing some of the parietal cells that line the stomach from making acid.
The alternative way of reducing stomach acid is by H2 blockers which block the H2 receptors that receive histamine signals to make acid. You would normally be prescribed 300mg ranitine or 400mg cimetidine. H2 blockers are not as effective as PPIs.
IP IP Logged
henge
Groupie
Groupie

Quote henge Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 11:23am
Hi Chris
thanks for the info much appreciated you do know your stuff for sure yes it was the cimetidine 400 mg that was prescribed but I wont bother with those I tried those Lanzaprozale and felt sick from them I don't take medication of any sort only the omeprozale my body is so temprementel with medication always has been not posted for a while on here but thought I would ask as get more satisfaction from this site than any doctor thanks
on another note I enjoyed your chat to Jeremy vine on Radio 2 a while ago was a good listen fair play    
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version